tyrnos 30

Started by bobboa, December 14, 2011, 08:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobboa

Hi guys.
My first post .
I am just starting out maintaining my reels and I am relatively poor in knowledge of engineering.
I have a tyrnos 30 a couple of years, old lightly fished.
Decided it was time to have a crack at maintenance myself .
The nut molded into the centre of the right side plate looks like it has rotated . On the inside of the plate the composite has a circle of "pimples" in the material surrounding the metal. The outside shows a slight amount of rotation of the nut in its bed,,, maybe  0.2mm.
As I said not a heavily used reel, and i cannot remember ever putting maximum load on it . drag is preset for 17lb.
What would cause this to happen?? Is this a common occurrance on this reels ?

Regards
Ando

redsetta

G'day and welcome aboard Ando - you're definitely in the right place.
The hex nut shouldn't come under load from drag settings as the lever pivots around it (creating lateral force only).
It's possible (though unlikely) someone's had a crack at servicing the reel and mistakenly torqued the nut.
However, it may just appear to have rotated (especially if you're talking about a fraction of a mm).
I haven't done one in a few months but, from memory, this is normal.
That said, it might pay to snap a pic just to be sure.  ;)
Let us know how you go.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

ando, here is the schematic for your reel.  http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Conventional/05TYR30-2Speed_v1_m56577569830615691.pdf  i haven't looked at one of these in a while, but the tld 20 and 30 two speeds of a nut like the one you describe, and the schematic shows the same thing.  it is a graphite side plate that is molded around the brass nut.  i have seen the tld's come in like that and it was always because someone tried to unscrew the nut.  does it appear that the dimples are in the clockwise direction or the counterclockwise direction.   if it's counterclockwise, then likely someone tried to unscrew it.  if it is in the clockwise direction, you might simply have a defective side plate.  got photos?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Are you referring to the hex brass piece?

This part does not rotate.

Can you attach pics of what you are seeing because the hex portion is molded into the carbon composite sideplate.  If it's tight and does not wiggle, do not see any cracks in the sideplate, then you should be fine.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

bryan, thank you.  that's the one!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!