What spinning

Started by coastalobsession, December 15, 2011, 12:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastalobsession

I dont have that much experience with spinning except for inshore (up to 4000size. I am in the market for a spinning reel that will be used for offshore jigging type stuff. I want it to hold about 325 yards of 40lb braid it also must have at least 10lbs of drag. I use Fins xs braided line for spinning, its made in america and they have one of the greatest customer service and products in the fishing line industry.http://www.finsfishing.com/ Like i said the reel will be used for jigging for snapper and such. I am currently looking at the Penn spinfisher 650ssm but i am open to other options as well.

Thank you/easy cleaning/full coolers
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

Alto Mare

You're moving in the right direction coastalobsession. The Penn 650SS or 6500SS will fit your need nicely, BUT, I would stay away from the ones with the letter M following the SS though ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

If you can find the older Penn 6500 or higher SS series would be my recommendation.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

rx7240sx

i have a shimano stradic fj 6000 that hold 225 of 50 pound power pro  it so smooth even with big kingfish and black fin tuna riping line off. they make a  8000 that hold 270 of 40 power pro.just make sure you do a pre service mine was bone dry inside

Westii

I'd suggest you take a look at the Shimano Saragosa series too.  I'm not a fan of the Penn SS spinners, but that is based more on look and feel of the reel, not effectiveness or durability. 

conchydong

I love the older Penn SS series but for Asian style jigging (with braided line) I would go another direction.
Under $150. Okuma RawII
Under $250 Shimano Saragosa

Upper end........
Penn Torque
Shimano Stella

Nessie Hunter

I had a BNIB Daiwa Opus 6000 come across my path last year.
From a sporting goods supplier friend....
It had a broken handle from being dropped.  I replaced that fairly cheap.
It was a donation going to a charity Auction, so never got to use it at all.
But I did play with it some....

Felt strong & solid as heck...  Giant Spinning reel with 33 Lb of drag..
Only a $50 Reel which kind of turned me off in the "you get what you pay for" thinking.

But Daiwa has surprised me many times with the quality of their low & mid range reels!!!

Just thinking out loud..   
Cant recommend it like I said, never used it & dont know of any one who has..
But it comes to mind every time I see a thread on large Spinners...

???

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

spottybastard

You should also look into the Penn Conquer.   They have a lot more drag than the Spinfisher models, of course they have the new spinfishing 5th generation witch are even better.

alantani

i have the okuma cedros spinner 65.  nice reel.  i had to put carbon fiber drag washers in it, though.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

barkley1956

Thinking of helping out one of my fishing buddies by repairing and modifying his Cedros 65 baitfeeder. I've fully broken down other baitfeeder reels but don't recall doing one of these. Has anybody else opened one of these spinners? Should I pass? lol The schematic is attached

Three se7ens

Quote from: barkley1956 on May 27, 2014, 12:06:01 AM
Thinking of helping out one of my fishing buddies by repairing and modifying his Cedros 65 baitfeeder. I've fully broken down other baitfeeder reels but don't recall doing one of these. Has anybody else opened one of these spinners? Should I pass? lol The schematic is attached

I've done the Coronado in both 40 and 80 size.  It's not particularly difficult, just lots of small parts.  I say go for it, and hit me up if you have any questions or run into snags.  It's been a while since I dug into mine, so I don't remember that much in the way of specifics offhand. 

barkley1956

Quote from: alantani on September 11, 2012, 01:55:20 AM
i have the okuma cedros spinner 65.  nice reel.  i had to put carbon fiber drag washers in it, though.

I need to upgrade a Cedros 65 Alan, Dawn says she doesn't carry anything for them. What sizes did you use if can recall?

Tiddlerbasher

Okuma Cedros or Raw size 65 or 80. If Cedros then fit cf drag washers (the Raw already has them).
I've been using a Cedros 80 for 18 months catching catfish up to 50-60 Kgs - no problems.
Servicing is pretty easy. Both reels are a steal for the usual discounted prices  ;)

It could be just my PC but the preview facility (for reply to messages) seems to have stopped working  :-\