MK10 II vs MK10 II SEa bearings

Started by pgangler, July 29, 2020, 02:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pgangler

So I read through Alan's detailed tutorial on the MK8 II, and taking the covers off the bearings.    I just bought a MK10 II, but didn't read the fine print - it's not an SEa.   My question is - can I get SEa-version replacement bearings for the spool to increase freespool (now at about 15 secs) or should I just pull the covers off and degrease/grease them with the T301?   So far, I haven't found any sites that sell replacement bearings for the Makairas.  Thanks.

MarkT

You can send it to Okuma and get it upgraded to SEa standard.  I think they charge around $50.  But yes, opening the bearings and giving them some TSI-321 love should help.  The SEa's have a handle from the next larger model too.

From one of Alan's posts years ago on the upgrade

The following upgrades for earlier MK reels can
be provided by the factory as follows:
-- MK-8/10/15: Replace bearings with TSI-301 oil
and larger 20-sized T-bar handle knob: $29.99
-- MK-20/30: Replace bearings with TSI-301 oil,
lower 1.3:1 gear ratio and 50-sized
handle: $59.99
-- The above costs include parts and installation,
shipping charges are additional.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

sabaman1

Getting the spool shaft sleeved would help free spool also.
JIM

Gobi King

Quote from: sabaman1 on July 29, 2020, 08:43:29 PM
Getting the spool shaft sleeved would help free spool also.

on a MAK?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

pgangler

So I did the bearing modifications to the MK10 II, just as Alan showed for the MK 8.   I used TSI 301 and got the freespool up from 15 seconds to about 25 seconds.  I had already filled the spool with 50lb braid and a 40lb mono topshot - wondering if the lack of precision balance from the line being on might account for lost seconds of freespool?
The other thing I noticed is that the compression spring (601) between the thrust bearing assembly and the large key washer was missing.   Don't know if this is an engineering modification, or if they forgot it.  Also wondering if anyone thinks that is a significant problem in the performance or reliability of the reel?  Easy enough for me to order one and add it.   fyi - this is a brand new reel, out of the box to me.

pgangler

Followup to my last - I contacted Ozuma about the missing spring.   They sent me a replacement, and in the meantime, I FOUND THE MISSING ONE, 12 feet across the room (as I'm sure many of you suspected).   So, it wasn't missing, Okuma did me a solid by not questioning it and sending a new spring, and I'm sufficiently chagrined.  With the spring installed and more subtle application of TSI 301, I'm up to 45 seconds - very happy!    Let's see if the BFT agree with me on this, next week...

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

steelfish

I didndt knew there was a difference on the bearings on the standar Mak10 Vs Mak10 SEA

The Baja Guy

MarkT

Quote from: steelfish on September 04, 2020, 06:05:03 PM
I didndt knew there was a difference on the bearings on the standar Mak10 Vs Mak10 SEA

Just clean the spool bearings out and lube with TSI-321 and you're good to go.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Gfish

Not familiar with the Mk. reels or anyone else's fishing style, but why would you need that much freespool time?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

steelfish

Quote from: MarkT on September 04, 2020, 06:22:11 PM
Quote from: steelfish on September 04, 2020, 06:05:03 PM

Just clean the spool bearings out and lube with TSI-321 and you're good to go.

well, I have a Mak15 SEA and when got the reel I cleaned the bearings and lubed them with tsi 321  ;D ;D,
I didnt took the seal covers out from them cuz I dont pretend to cast with the reel, so, no need to super freespool, did it more for a better protection

The Baja Guy

pgangler

Gfish:   Freespool time is a reflection of friction from the moving parts of the system.   The less friction you have (and least inertia), the easier it is for a bait to swim with the line.     So, maximizing freespool time means the bait can swim as easily as possible and not get tired.  I found that to be very important at Guadalupe last year when a fast-moving bait cast away from the boat was an absolute MUST for getting bit on the YFT at that island.   

I just got back from a 3-day on the Intrepid and found the finicky BFT to react the same way.   The guys using the smallest reels (lowest inertia) and lightest lines were getting bit for more than everyone else.    Ended up having a great trip - we caught about 100 BFT, up to 162lb, and I upped my PB to 77lb.    Beautiful weather, great food, and a very nice boat/crew.

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!