Avet 50 SDS: loss of Freespool at low drag setting?

Started by NEKTON, August 03, 2020, 04:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEKTON

Hello, just bought a NEW Avet SDS, custom ordered "Purple" reel for Deep Drop Swordfishing. Picked it up a few days ago.

Got it spooled up with 130 hollow. Just noticed after I put it on the rod and started messing with the drag that the reel loses freespool at about 5lbs of drag. At about 15lbs of drag there in no freespool at all and there is 1 or 2 pounds of drag in freespool. All the while the handle turns freely...no binding.

I don't want to return to AVET, I've heard they are behind on repairs and I want to fish it ASAP. I can repair myself, I have opened them up and broken them down many times.

I'm confused as to why no handle binding but the sudden lose of freespool? Thinking a bearing got crushed in very high drag setting while getting spooled up on the machine.

Also just noticed at about 15lbs of drag, there is no gradual drag ramp up on the lever from free to strike. the drag just goes "on" when lever pushed even 1/2" past freespool? Cam installed wrong? missing shims/washers?

I will call the tackle shop and inform them tomorrow.

Advice?

Bryan Young

Your pinion bearing sounds like it's fine.

While the reel is in free spool, and you loosen the drag adjustment knob so that when you push the lever to strike you have a few pounds of drag. Then put the reel in free spool and turn the drag adjustment knob a few clicks then push the drag lever forward just out of free spool and measure the drag, half way to strike and measure the drag then to strike then measure the drag. Repeat until you get the drag you are looking for in strike or the free spool stops, which ever comes first. Then measure the drag at full.

This will give you your reel drag capabilities.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

i'm wondering if the drag pressure plated are getting hung up and staying in contact with the drag washers, instead of being "sprung" back by the return springs
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

NEKTON

Thank you for replying guys. Bryan, the reel is only getting about 5 lbs at strike when freespool is lost.
Alan, I'll pop it open and see. Maybe that would explain the instant ramp up too?

SoCalAngler

It almost sounds like the drag preset knob is set to high, like Bryan was stating. This would be why "Maybe that would explain the instant ramp up too?"

Did the reel get a prefishing service? If so is there too much grease on the drag washer, bearings and belville washers in correctly?

Since you did get it from a shop and if they spooled that reel or had it on display the pinion bearing could of been crunched.

NEKTON

So I took apart the drag & spool. bellevilles are in place in correct order. bearings are all good. Drag plate springs in place, drag/spool pins in place.

I removed the spool and pushed the lever all the way to freespool and turned the preset knob counter clock wise all the way until it stopped, then i pushed cam & bearing all the way into to right side plate to "reset" the cam & preset knob.  I reinstalled spool & left side. and began turning preset knob in freespool and then going to strike to check drag & back to  freespool.

It took a lot of clock wise turns it seemed to get back to some measurable drag setting.

Same story, nothing fixed. at about 5 lbs of drag at strike....freespool starts to cut out. at about 15 at strike....no freespool and when you turn the handle the spool spins.

i'm thinking the cam now? maybe tackle shop turned preset not in freespool? bummed, might have to return to AVET.

Its brand spanking new.

mrwilson99

David