Raptor assembly pin alignment

Started by Brandon, August 03, 2020, 06:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

I just finished servicing my HX raptor, and a friend's JX raptor (according to mark's jx raptor video) and he mentions aligning pins on the outer drag plate with the inner drag plate. He just drops them in, pressed down to make sure they are aligned, and then assembles the reel. Very simple.

For me, if those pins aren't exactly aligned perfectly (ie I slightly move the outer plate while assembling the endhousing to the frame), the reel won't close together nicely. Even if I turn the handle to make sure the teeth are meshed together and hear the clunking sound, there's still a ton of resistance because the drag plates aren't together. I feel like the pressure is from the pins in the outer drag plate pressing against the inner drag plate, and not going into the holes as they should.

It usually takes me a dozen or 2 times before I get "lucky" that the pins line up and I'm carefully assembling the endhousing and frame together so that neither of the inner and outer drag plates move while doing it. Turning the spool to align doesn't help since the inner drag plate spins independently from spool. Am I doing this correctly, and assembling the raptors just trial and error until they perfectly line up, or am I approaching this wrong? Thanks in advance.

Bryan Young

I've been applying the drag slightly where the inner drag plate contacts the spool and then crank the handle arm and it will sometimes drop in place.  it takes me about 1/2 dozen times before it drops in place.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

Quote from: Brandon on August 03, 2020, 06:27:24 AM
It usually takes me a dozen or 2 times before I get "lucky."

practice.  you'll get the hang of it.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Brandon

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 03, 2020, 02:33:19 PM
I've been applying the drag slightly where the inner drag plate contacts the spool and then crank the handle arm and it will sometimes drop in place.  it takes me about 1/2 dozen times before it drops in place.

I see, I do that too, cranking the handle for me will make the pinion teeth line up with the outer drag plate, and therefore spin the outer plate. Unfortunately, since the two plates didn't line up nicely the first time, the outer pins will be pressuring against the inner plate and it'll cause both the inner and outer plates to spin simultaneously, just not meshed together. But it's nice to know what it takes you multiple tries, and it's not me doing something wrong. Like Alan said, I probably just need to just practice more...

Quote from: alantani on August 03, 2020, 03:20:47 PM
practice.  you'll get the hang of it.   :-\

Yep, I think so too, hopefully down the road the more raptors I crack open, the better I'll get at it :)

Thanks you guys for the feedback!