Playing around with a new toy

Started by gstours, August 05, 2020, 03:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

It seems like we all like to play some as adults and hopefully there is some kids here on the forum too.   Here,s a clip of some fun we had recently with a Banax electric reel.  These things have pros and cons like anything,  butt can be used to some advantage at times.
  See what you think,  wish you were there.   Have  a good summer. ;)

Dominick

The next time you get a butt to the boat and it won't open its mouth bop it on the head. When it says ouch its mouth will be open.  ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gfish

How's this toy work?
When the electric winding system's workin(line/fish retrieval) and the critter starts pullin hard, to the point that  you need drag function, does the electricity have some kinda clutch auto-shut-off system?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

gstours

Thanks for sharing your advice, mr Dom butt some times they have lock 🔒 jaw.  I can't blame them.
  Yes the fri pan is hot 🥵...
But the electric ⚡️ reels are more than toys 🧸.    Checking your bait at 200 feet, no more problems.
  So I called the banax a toy.... I like the small size and pretty good power in the motor.
       This reel is a constant winding type of design.  The motor winds through the drag and is variable speed.   And the crankhandle can always be used to assist.  Possibly rated as most electric reels above the actual testing I've seen butt that is ok nowadays as nothing much is expected to be true anymore.  😾
  The best fish so far is a 170# halibut and at the last part of the fight it was cranked in...
       Its always fun to play with toys 🧸.    Life is short,  go fishing.🧜‍♂️

gstours

Thanks for a the question mr. Gfish,   this reel in the video is medium size,  and has about 16-18 pounds of cranking thru the motor power.
Butt ive got a Shimano Beastmaster that is larger and waay more powerfull.   It has 2 settings for the wind in  cranking.  1 is variable fixed speed like most electrics AND another Rakuraku mode which I prefer.   Why?
What is Rakuraku Mode?
Rakuraku Mode maintains line tension at the level you set.
In other words, the reel senses the tension (load) on the line
and automatically adjusts motor rotation speed to maintain a
constant tension.
In other words...
• It adjusts motor speed to
compensate for sudden
changes in tension caused by
the movement of the fish and
the vessel.
• The motor takes up any
sudden slack in the line when
tension decreases due to
factors such as when the rod is
lowered during pumping.
• It avoids the tug of war that
occurs between the motor and
the fish.
• This is particularly useful when
fishing in rough water where it
is impossible to maintain a
constant tension on the line
manually by using the rod.
It makes reeling your fish in so easy that
you just need to enjoy your fishing
    The Shimano is much more than a toy,   It can crank 28#of drag for sustained periods thru its motor and even more drag can be cranked by the crank arm handle.    The rakuraku mode is waay cool to use.......Fish on,  bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. :o

El Pescador

Gary!!!

We will now call you the Electric Cowboy!!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Donnyboat

Ay Wayne, how does sparky shark sound, thanks for the video Gary, I was getting a bit worried when you was trying to force the mouth open with the hook, & the point of the gaff, was directed towards your hand,  I have a Daiwa Tanacom 1000, & I would not recommend anything smaller.
     Greg, the electric reel just keep winding, when the drag is working, as you leaver on the rod, it immediately take up the slack, when you get the fish near the surface, you take it out of gear, then use the handle, or flick it into free spool what ever is preferd.
     Also Greg, you can set them into jigging mode, select how far between each jig, & how many seconds delay in between, if you google, tanacom electric reels, there will be a you tube, that explains it all. thanks again Gary & Ken, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

David Hall

A couple of those would fit nicely on my boat.

MarkT

Electric reel? Man, you have gotten old! Ok, if I was fishing in > 300' I'd use an electric too, not 'cuz I'm old (but I am!) but 'cuz I want to keep it up all day. As it is, if we're fishing in > 200' I think about how many drops I'm willing to make.

Cool toy! It plugs into the ports you use for the down riggers? I like the description of Rakuraku mode, it sounds like the bees knees.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Hardy Boy

I wired mine to fit the scotty down rigger plug, easy and really convenient. I use mine for fishing over 400 feet.............. its the way to go when deep dropping. I will be interested in the longevity of the motor when fighting big halibut.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Maxed Out

Not sure about Banax reels, but Tanacom reels also have "cordless" option by using a small battery pack. Using the cord keeps you confined close to the plug in. 2 years ago 3 guys were using Tanacom reels on my boat and I out fished them all with my 113h and we were fishing halibut in 650-700'. I caught 3 of our 4 butts that morning. Go figure
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

gstours

The cordless option might be good for party boats oar when fishing on you buddies boat.   Butt then you have an unfair advantage?  Oar at least a silent contest.   It's just an option to be able to use when you want.   Few people have vehicles anymore without power steering!🤦‍♀️
     Life is short,  go fishing 🎣

Gfish

Sounds like a wonderful option for deep dropping oldsters that wanna keep fishing, handicapped persons and maybe commercially oriented hook and line'ers.
The future: all commercial sport boats are mandated by law to have handicapped options avalible to public users.
Hmmm, possible business niche for commercial sport boats of the future?
Thanks for the feedback, guys.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Darin Crofton

I have two of these reels and use them for deep dropping, very solid reels. Great service too, I know the national rep and he's great!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?