Good condition Older Drags

Started by Tate, August 07, 2020, 02:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tate

Guys,

When I restore/refurbish a reel to sell my standard has been to replace the old drags with HT-100 regardless of condition.  Automatic.  I am a perfectionist and I want each reel to be perfect as it can be - I'm very meticulous.  However, I pull the older drags out of reels and yes sometimes they just disintegrate, but maybe 30 percent look to be in good condition.  I don't always get a return on changing out the older drags to HT-100 so i'm doing it for free or breaking even at times.  Is it okay to put these older drags that are in good condition back in? 

Is the process the same using Cal's grease (my preference) on them or what is suggested?  I know some of the older drags are made of leather, hard fiber.  What else if anything?

Last question, I never put the brass washers in with the HT-100 drags as I use the metal drags.  Is this necessary?  Is the brass okay here?

Thanks,

Tate

Rancanfish

I'd have to say that I would continue to replace drags with good ones.  I know that I have never knowingly left them in.

If the brass washers are clean and flat  I'll reuse them if I need them.  They typically are found in the smaller reels anyway I find, so smallish drags. 

If I'm keeping the reel anything goes if the drag works properly.  I have put Cal's on some hard discs, can't say it helped.

If you want to leave them in just state the reel may need maintenance.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

RowdyW

If they aren't CF drags I replace them. The old washers you are removing are probably at least 30 years old and ready to disintergrate. If they are used CF just rub them on a rag, regrease them & reinstall. Nothing wrong with reusing the brass washers. If you are buying & selling plenty of reels it might pay to get a set of reasonably priced punches & buying CF sheets & punching your own, It's a lot cheaper in the long run. And then you can make custom sizes that are not available for some reels.           Rudy       

Brewcrafter

Tate - I've never had an issue with reusing the original brass metals alongside modern CF drag material, but if you want to go that "extra step" take a few minutes to clean up the old metal washers with some really fine (800+) Wet or Dry on a hard, flat surface.  There are threads elsewhere on this forum that go into more detail, but the quick version is that many times metal drag washers are not perfectly flat depending on how they were manufactured (stamped).  It doesn't hurt to even do this with brand new SS metals. - john

Tate

Thanks guys!  All good tips!  Will do what i thought was right and stick with CF.  Look into cutting my own CF.  Sand to improve flatness of metal washers when in use.  Use brass washers at times especially on small reels - I assume 109s and below.

Tate

Fishead

I used to cut leather washers before carbontex. I used Teflon grease on them and wet sanded the metal washers on 1000 grit. They worked great for 30lb line or less. Super smooth but locked drag was difficult to attain. Lightly greased carbontex is what I use now. Lot less work than leather and seem to last longer as well. I do still have a few guys ask for the leather. Happy to oblige them until my supply runs out.
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!