Restoring/Upgrading Penn 113 and 114 (not H)

Started by BrianN, August 09, 2020, 12:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianN

Hi Folks,

New to your very informative forum.

I have a 70's vintage 114 given to me by my dad and a 80's vintage 113 that I fished with when I lived in Alaska (both have the black side plates).  They have sentimental value and I'd love to get them in working order again and maybe enhance them with upgrades.  The 114 is in working shape, just a bit of corrosion.  The handle on the 113 does not turn the spool, so it has a problem, plus a bit more corrosion than the 114.

I read the thread "I'm a little lost here..." and feel "a little less lost," but still a bit overwhelmed.

Here's the plan of attack:
1) Get the special handle nut wrench, looks like the 113 and 114 have different sizes.  Where do I get such a wrench?
2) Disassemble, clean, lubricate.  What lubricant(s) should I use?
3) Replace the old washers with carbon fiber washers.  Where do I get these?  Can the 113 be upgraded to 5 washers?  Can the 114 be upgraded to 7 washers?
4) Replace the brass gear sleeve and dog with SS.  Where can I get these?
5) Upgrade handles
6) Consider getting a one-piece frame

Am I on the right track?  Also, there seems to be fewer parts made for the 113/114 vs 113H/114H.  Are things like the washers compatible?

Brian

Swami805

Not a lot of love for a 113 but all is not lost. There's parts that will work made for other reels. Search grouper special, there's a few threads on here with what you can do with a 113. Use the search on the left side of the page and you should find some useful information.
I'm sure there's a few things you can do for a 114 too.
Welcome
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

Quote from: BrianN on August 09, 2020, 12:43:04 AM
Hi Folks,

New to your very informative forum.

I have a 70's vintage 114 given to me by my dad and a 80's vintage 113 that I fished with when I lived in Alaska (both have the black side plates).  They have sentimental value and I'd love to get them in working order again and maybe enhance them with upgrades.  The 114 is in working shape, just a bit of corrosion.  The handle on the 113 does not turn the spool, so it has a problem, plus a bit more corrosion than the 114.

I read the thread "I'm a little lost here..." and feel "a little less lost," but still a bit overwhelmed.

Here's the plan of attack:
1) Get the special handle nut wrench, looks like the 113 and 114 have different sizes.  Where do I get such a wrench?
2) Disassemble, clean, lubricate.  What lubricant(s) should I use?
3) Replace the old washers with carbon fiber washers.  Where do I get these?  Can the 113 be upgraded to 5 washers?  Can the 114 be upgraded to 7 washers?
4) Replace the brass gear sleeve and dog with SS.  Where can I get these?
5) Upgrade handles
6) Consider getting a one-piece frame

Am I on the right track?  Also, there seems to be fewer parts made for the 113/114 vs 113H/114H.  Are things like the washers compatible?

Brian

Welcome Brian,

I believe Mystic Reel Parts has what you need.

1) Get the special handle nut wrench, looks like the 113 and 114 have different sizes.  Where do I get such a wrench? - Mystic Reel Parts carries Alan Tani's wrench.

2) Disassemble, clean, lubricate.  What lubricant(s) should I use? - Any good marine grade grease. For the reel (I use Evinrude Triple Guard) and Cal's Universal Reel and Drag grease for the drag washers. I would try your local marine motor retailer repair shop for the marine grease and Mystic Reel Parts carries Cal's.

3) Replace the old washers with carbon fiber washers.  Where do I get these?  Can the 113 be upgraded to 5 washers?  Can the 114 be upgraded to 7 washers? - Mystic Reel Parts carries a 5-stack for your 113 and my 7+1 Ultimate Upgrade kit for the 114.

4) Replace the brass gear sleeve and dog with SS.  Where can I get these? - Mystic Reel Parts should have these.

5) Upgrade handles - Alan Tani has one of the best t-grip handles that will last a lifetime. Others are very good. eBay may be a good place to start looking.

6) Consider getting a one-piece frame - contact Randy Pauly of Vintage Offshore Tackle.

Good luck and come around if you need any help.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jurelometer

Just a few thoughts to add to Bryan's excellent advice:

If you are just repairing a reel or two, you can get by with the stock handle wrench, which is about a buck.  I think that this is the right one.

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/168-115.aspx

Also, if you are not doing lots of reels, the drag grease can be used for the entire reel.    Folks that do a lot of reels save some money by using two different greases. Cal's Universal works anywhere in the reel that you need grease, including the drag.

Don't forget to get some vinegar, an old tooth brush, and some car wax (preferably carnuba), to rub over the chrome parts after cleaning to prevent further corrosion.

Corrosion-X or similar product to cut through the corrosion and help you disassemble and clean corroded internals.

An aftermarket frame is not absolutely necessary, but if you want one, you probably want to make sure that you have a strong spool first, especially if you plan to fish monofilament line.   Aluminum is generally preferred for spools, but  there are different versions of brass/stainless spools, some stronger than others.  The Senator experts here can tell you which one you have if you post a photo.

If you want to mess with aftermarket drag stacks, you may need to adjust the assembled drag stack height.  This usually involves a adding/deleting some metal washers/spring washer, and possibly grinding down the gear sleeve a little. Not rocket surgery, but sometimes requires another part or two, and a bit more futzing.  Lots of threads on these topics if you hunt around.  You still might have to mess with the stack height a bit anyways if you switch to carbon fiber washers.

-J

BrianN

Bryan, I found your 7+1 Kit for the 114 on MysticParts and will order.

The closest drag kit for the 113 I could find was "6-113HSP Kit, Drag Washers HT-100™ with Metals Complete Kit 11pcs (113H)".  Would this be compatible with my 113?

I also found SS gear sleeves for 113, 114, but not the SS dogs for either.  If no SS dogs exist for the 113, 114, is it even worth upgrading the gear sleeves?

Bryan Young

Quote from: BrianN on August 09, 2020, 05:28:00 PM
Bryan, I found your 7+1 Kit for the 114 on MysticParts and will order.

The closest drag kit for the 113 I could find was "6-113HSP Kit, Drag Washers HT-100™ with Metals Complete Kit 11pcs (113H)".  Would this be compatible with my 113?

I also found SS gear sleeves for 113, 114, but not the SS dogs for either.  If no SS dogs exist for the 113, 114, is it even worth upgrading the gear sleeves?

HI Brian,

the 6-113HSP is the incorrect drag kit.  My drag kit https://www.mysticparts.com/CustomParts/UltimateUpgrades/UU-PENN100.aspx will fit but the 113 main gear is much taller.  I sold my black 113 before I made the kit, and the 113 main gear is much deeper than the 6-60 main gear so I don't know the fitment necessary.  If you wouldn't mind sending me your gear, I could assemble a 5-stack for you.

I do have one 15-114 SS dog left if you are interested, but I am out of 15-99 ss dogs.  You will be fine with the brass dog.  The main concern of the brass gear sleeve for the 113 is that the handle connection point tends to round itself, and therefore, you will have a loose handle.  The SS gear sleeve eliminates that.  I cannot even count the amount of brass gear sleeves I have replaced.

Please let me know if you are interested in me creating a drag stack for you and if you want the SS dog for the 114.  Like I said, it's my last one and I'm not sure if there will be any around anytime soon.

If you will be sending me the main gear, please send the drag washers with the main gear so that I can also measure hight of the current drag stack with a new one that I would be creating for you.

I'll send you a PM with my address.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 09, 2020, 02:13:28 AM
Quote from: BrianN on August 09, 2020, 12:43:04 AM

6) Consider getting a one-piece frame - contact Randy Pauly of Vintage Offshore Tackle.

Good luck and come around if you need any help.

Thank you Bryan!

BrianN

Bryan,

Thank you, I'll buy your 15-114 SS dog and would love to have you create a drag stack for the 113, I'll look for your PM.

I need to get the wrench to disassemble the reel, so I'll order that today.

Both reels are over 40 years old, so would replacing the dog, clutch, bearing, and eccentric springs be a good idea?

Bryan Young

If the reel springs in and out of gear, they should be fine, especially the yoke springs.  The essentric spring is the one that breaks most often so if you are going to buy parts, I'd buy those for a back up just in case.

RowdyW

And the dog springs on the 113 get lost or go flying real easy. Better get a FEW of them.