Carp fishing Setup. Please recomend.

Started by Riy2018, August 10, 2020, 01:34:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riy2018

I went carp fishing first time on Wallkill river over the weekend. Locals are not fishing for carp, few guys stated that carps are invasive trash fish. So we were fishing from 7am-5pm and caught only 3 flats and large turtle. ;D
I dont have fresh water setup and used my 7, 9, 10f medium heavy saltwater surf rods and my line is 40-80lb. Surf rods are not the most sensitive and I feel that I missed few carps. Same with saltwater bobbler are more heavier.

Im asking assistance and recommendations what is the best setup for freshwater carp fishing? Unfortunately most YouTube videos are from UK/EU we dont have carp rods in USA.

Thanks in advance.

Dominick

Maybe Steve-0 will chime in.  He kills carp.  He should be able to tell you what gear to use.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

nelz

Quote from: Riy2018 on August 10, 2020, 01:34:08 AMIm asking assistance and recommendations what is the best setup for freshwater carp fishing?

What kind of carp are you going for? Also, the setup type depends on what method you're using to target them.

Benni3

You're gear is great,,,, ;) use no weight or a slide sinker ,,,,,white bread with corn juice,,,, :D carp are smart fish if they fill your line they know that trick,,,,,,, ;D

Riy2018

Quote from: nelz on August 10, 2020, 03:25:57 AM
Quote from: Riy2018 on August 10, 2020, 01:34:08 AMIm asking assistance and recommendations what is the best setup for freshwater carp fishing?

What kind of carp are you going for? Also, the setup type depends on what method you're using to target them.

NY river and water reservoirs has plenty of common carp. mostly it fisherman is Eastern Europeans, many Polish, Ukrainian and Russian.
The rivers has very low stream, murky waters.
Im learning from any resources.

Benni3

Quote from: Riy2018 on August 10, 2020, 04:35:29 AM
Quote from: nelz on August 10, 2020, 03:25:57 AM

NY river and water reservoirs has plenty of common carp. mostly it fisherman is Eastern Europeans, many Polish, Ukrainian and Russian.

I would not use any weight,,,,, ;) flip my bail and use a #4 or #2 treble,,,,,be on the look out for good dough bread in the blue bag,,,,,,  :o carp fishing is difficult I had to find out the hard way but it paid off,,,,,, ;D

philaroman

oh boy, where do I start?  ...for now, check out CAG:
https://www.carpanglersgroup.com/forum/index.php
(don't need to join for Beginners Section)

Mandelstam

Carp fishing is a one way down the rabbit hole haha! I'm steering clear as I don't want another obsession in my life.

But good luck! :)
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

philaroman

you missed the spring feeding frenzy & fall fattening for winter won't start for a month
Summer is difficult -- they feed less & for shorter periods; more finicky; more line-shy

IGNORE THE JUMPERS IN OPEN WATER -- THEY AIN'T FEEDIN' !!!
instead, try "carpy" looking areas adjacent to the jumpers & more shoreline-oriented

Quote from: Riy2018 on August 10, 2020, 01:34:08 AM
I went carp fishing first time on Wallkill river over the weekend. Locals are not fishing for carp, few guys stated that carps are invasive trash fish. So we were fishing from 7am-5pm
wrong Summer time: pre-dusk to post-dawn is best...  go home 8am, unless something is still happening

and caught only 3 flats and large turtle. ;D
I dont have fresh water setup and used my 7, 9, 10f medium heavy saltwater surf rods
TOO HEAVY; TOO STIFF; barely long enough

and my line is 40-80lb. WAAAAAAAAAAAY TOO HEAVY!!!
15# or 17# Big Game is most common budget carp mono
12# -- if you can get away with it; 20# -- for extra abrasion resistance
(that's why carp rods are longer, lighter & more moderate -- to protect the line)

Surf rods are not the most sensitive and I feel that I missed few carps. Same with saltwater bobbler are more heavier.

Im asking assistance and recommendations what is the best setup for freshwater carp fishing? Unfortunately most YouTube videos are from UK/EU we dont have carp rods in USA.
WHAT???  Who told you THAT???  SPIT IN HIS FACE!!!
all the basic & half the fancy Euro stuff is already here:

https://www.bigcarptackle.com/?xid=EJGm4iZ5THgA3SQk0iyLSa0eQ5G3OWDT
https://monstercarptackle.com/?v=e4b09f3f8402

Thanks in advance.

WELCOME  ;D

Sharkb8

I use small eggbeaters with 1-3 kg line a small hook don't use any weight, squash bread on the hook to make a dough ball that will be your weight to be able to cast. Leave the bail arm open and let the fish swim off with the bait a couple of metres before setting the hook. They are great fight on light line and make good shark and crab bait. Good luck.

Kim

Mandelstam

Graeme Pullen @ TA Fishing on YT does a lot of carp fishing videos on really simple gear and tackle. Channel is well worth checking out even for his other fishing adventures.

"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Riy2018

[/quote]
I would not use any weight,,,,, ;) flip my bail and use a #4 or #2 treble,,,,,be on the look out for good dough bread in the blue bag,,,,,,  :o carp fishing is difficult I had to find out the hard way but it paid off,,,,,, ;D
[/quote]
gorgeous fish!
your right I had 2 once sinker for better casting. I didnot feel any bites. next time going in September.

Riy2018

Quote from: Sharkb8 on August 10, 2020, 07:47:26 AM
I use small eggbeaters with 1-3 kg line a small hook don't use any weight, squash bread on the hook to make a dough ball that will be your weight to be able to cast. Leave the bail arm open and let the fish swim off with the bait a couple of metres before setting the hook. They are great fight on light line and make good shark and crab bait. Good luck.

Kim

Thank you

Riy2018

I only have 2 small rods. SHimano FX 6 M and one 5.6 Cabelas rod - flimsy not working well.
By the way can I use Salmon 9f rod? I believe it is very sensitive.

philaroman

longer, more moderate Salmon/Steelhead is great
older glass Fen/Lami/Harnell/etc. is FANTASTIC!!!
plain wire guides are OK w/ mono & who cares about few ounces extra blank weight, unless Stalking?
whether you choose ML, M or MH, depends:

• how big are the fish?  go by COMMON SIZE -- an ML(esp., glass) can handle a rare trophy
  • can you let them run?  some spots are excellent, but the fish must be "convinced with AUTHORITY" not to go in a certain direction
  • what are your alternate purposes for the rod?

it's not so much the sensitivity of the tip for bite detection, as having a long, limber, forgiving entire top half
to avoid ripping comparatively small hooks through boneless rubbery lips w/ serious mass behind them
(bite detection is usually accomplished with bite alarms, Baitrunners, conventional clickers, loosened drags, open bails, etc.)
if you're going w/ a 9-footer, Fast Action would make me cringe & I'd avoid X-Fast like the plague
Mod/Fast would be a better casting tool & more versatile for other uses
Moderate would be a better tool for fighting bigger fish & better protect lighter line (forget that 40-80#)
if all you have to go by is line rating, look for a wide range -- e.g., 8-20# rather than 12-20#; 10-30#, rather than 15-30#; etc.
as a matter of fact, the 10' Med 4-20# Ugly is a good budget all-arounder (esp., old US-made)
just wear out the crappy components for a few years & have it rebuilt w/ Fuji & an extra foot or two up the butt ;D

if you have room to swing it, 11'-13' gives you more leeway w/ rod Action & better line control (and a fine L/UL Surf Rod!!!)
9'-10' Carp rods are generally concessions to clearance (overgrown banks w/ low overhead branches);
weight (Stalking Rods for wading/sight-fishing rod-in-hand, for hours); or storage/transport issues (consider 3-pc)