Garcia Mitchell 300 - No drag washer?

Started by BrianN, August 11, 2020, 11:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianN

I have a Garcia/Mitchell 300, Serial Number A475735, which (I think) is about 1971/72 vintage.

The schematic from that era shows no drag washer, but wouldn't it perform better by adding one?  Where could I get one?

Thanks,
Brian

mo65

I think what they are doing is using the spool itself as the drag surface...which works just fine in most cases...as the plastic spool works much the same as a teflon washer. I've added washers in these cases, and it didn't increase the power, but it did get smoother. Something like the washer in this link would probably work. 8)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/new-old-stock-garcia-Mitchell-300-301-400-Fishing-reel-Teflon-Drag-Washer-81003/372748897645?hash=item56c990cd6d:g:6Q0AAOSwFDdddW2k
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

happyhooker

I think Mo is on to it.  Have seen more than a few 300 spools with no drag washer.

Frank

foakes

For smoothness through all drag ranges from lightest touch to full lock -- a lightly greased CF works well on these.

And increases longevity along with better control when fighting a fish.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

bushleague

My go to mod on 300's is to use some sort of thin carbon washer I borrow from work under the spool, on top I put a well greased leather washer that I punch out of old welding gloves using sharpened pipe nipples. Depending on the reel you might have to remove the bottom washer when respooling to get the line to lay right.

Sounds pretty ghetto I know, but with the leather washer's compressibility I find it makes the 300 drag more predictably progressive... rather than going from very little drag to totally locked up 1/2 turn.

oc1

They all had that funny "brake spring" that was supposed to provide more range in the drag.  It's the washer thing with swiveled cut-outs that are bent upward.  The swivel joint leaves a lot to be desired.  Having some compression in the washer material itself makes it more predictable and less herky-jerky.  The thread tpi on the drag knob could have been finer if they used better material.

bushleague

Quote from: oc1 on March 17, 2021, 04:56:04 AM
They all had that funny "brake spring" that was supposed to provide more range in the drag.  It's the washer thing with swiveled cut-outs that are bent upward.  The swivel joint leaves a lot to be desired.  Having some compression in the washer material itself makes it more predictable and less herky-jerky.  The thread tpi on the drag knob could have been finer if they used better material.

Yeah, mine all have that spring, but the leather washer improves things further, not that I would call it great regardless. Generally seems about as smooth as a CF one though.