Chromed Ambassadeur cage, rusted pitted chrome, how to treat?

Started by Mandelstam, August 13, 2020, 08:23:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandelstam

Is there a way to treat this to help seal/prevent further rusting? Keep it clean and a slight grease coating?

I got the reel from an online auction and didn't see the rust until it had arrived.

"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Benni3

You can take some light steel wool or fine and compound wax like boat wax,,,, :D rub the wax on with the steel wool,,,,  ;D

Mandelstam

Quote from: Benni3 on August 14, 2020, 03:00:12 AM
You can take some light steel wool or fine and compound wax like boat wax,,,, :D rub the wax on with the steel wool,,,,  ;D

Thanks! Going to try that!
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

oc1

A weak acid like vinegar will eat away at the corrosion and clean it so that when you apply grease or wax you will not be just covering it up.  You will loose more chrome though.  Burnishing it will do the same thing but you'll lose even more chrome that way.  You'll get a different look too and might like one way better than the other.  It's chrome over brass, right?
-s