The Jigmaster 500 S XN

Started by mo65, August 13, 2020, 03:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Quote from: Maxed Out on August 19, 2020, 08:00:18 PM
Only major difference with the 500s is the sideplates are made of Lexan and there must have been some issues with the material because Penn stopped using Lexan sideplates for jigmasters after a few short years

I'm thinking the issue must have been cost or something. I haven't seen any failed S plates yet. I know I liked the way it "worked" while I was milling the double dog mod. It didn't seem to be brittle at all. Maybe it flexes too much, but screwed to an aluminum frame, I doubt it will flex much.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

I've also seen no failures with the Lexan sideplates. They sure bragged about the "new Lexan sideplates" when the 500s first came public. Perhaps it was a cost issue. I for one am a fan of the 500s for the same reasons brought up by Mo. Plus the sexy red aluminum spool most came stock with is a nice bonus
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Gfish

Could it be that the Lexan won't swell or crack as easy as bakelite?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Maxed Out

Lol, Funny guy G...... I do see faded 500s reels. Perhaps the Lexan was not UV resistant. Why didn't Penn use Lexan for the red 113h ?? Lots of unanswered questions about the short lived time span of Lexan
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

thorhammer

Mike C. can chime in on my memory here, but I spoke to a gentleman named Mike Quinn at Penn maybe 20 years ago about the 500S- he had been there for decades I think (Mike C. knew him), and knew more than most of us will ever find out- amazing gentleman and I believe he told me they ran from 72-74, give or take, but there were complaints about the Lexan chipping easier than bakelite. My fav of the 500's, by far.

John

Rancanfish

Wonder why they sell so cheap most times.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

thorhammer

Dunno but I've found them for $15- I hope those guys don't find this site :)

Sharkb8

Great job Mike looks good

Kim

mo65

Quote from: Rancanfish on August 28, 2020, 09:59:36 PM

For the same reason a South Bend Classic sells for only $30...because all the tools and googans on Stripers.com are dreaming of a Penn Spinfisher greenie. :D

Keta

Quote from: Rancanfish on August 28, 2020, 09:59:36 PM

They can be a good source for parts.  My 500S is a dust collector.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

jurelometer

Usual disclaimer about not being an expert, but I have played with the stuff a little bit.

Lexan is a trade name for polycarbonate.  Polycarbonate is only moderately UV resistant, so UV inhibitors have to be added.  UV inhibitors can have a limited lifespan,  dunno  what inhibitors  are used in Lexan.

PC is highly impact resistant, so it does not chip easily. Moderate  water absorption.  It scratches easily, and can stress crack over time in  places like screw holes, especially in the presence of salt water.

It has some limits in terms of chemical resistance. For example, it is susceptible to damage from Acetic acid (vinegar).  I think that Isopropyl alcohol is OK.  I would check a chemical compatibility chart before exposing it to anything that might behave as a solvent.

It is great stuff to work with, and a strong very clear plastic.  In addition to injection molding parts, you can 3D print it, and  thermo/vacuum form sheets of the stuff. It can be machined as well.   If you are printing or thermoforming polycarbonate, it has to be dried in a low temp oven immediately before working it or you will get water vapor bubbles and crazing.  Same issues probably  for injection molding.  It is definitely going to be fussier to mold than fiber filled nylon (what we call graphite in reels), which is the go-to  plastic for cheap but strong and stiff molded parts in the post Bakelite era. Lexan was probably an "exotic" material at the time.

For Lexan sideplates, I would be careful about what solvents come in contact, and not torque down the screws more than necessary. Dunno if there is  something that can rubbed on to provide a fresh UV protective coating.

-J

foakes

Not sure if this is scientific, or not --

However, I have seen more "S" plates chipped, cracked, spider cracked at screw holes or bearing points than all of the typical 500/501/505/506 Jigmasters that I have worked on for 40 years. 

And I have worked on typical Jigmasters about 20 to 1 -- over the 500S.

Seems like the bakelite is tougher than the "S" plastic.

Must be a reason why the "S" was discontinued so soon after intro.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Thanks for the info on the Lexan Dave...the properties are just about what I had envisioned them to be.

mo65

Got a chance to fish the XN Jiggy last weekend. It was flawless...smooth as silk...the nicest Jigmaster I ever held. Maybe I'm biased since I built it? The world will never know, 'cause I sure as hell ain't selling it! :D  I caught a few decent Flathead cats on it, no true test of the drags, it never even broke a sweat. My brother got "big fish" honors with a 40lb. Flat, and Rob got "honorable mention" with his trophy catch. The last pic is our rod spread.8)

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Mo, that's great that you finally got to put that reel to good use and are happy with it.  Those are some beautiful fish, and it's no wonder that you guys catch 'em with that huge spread of rods.  You really cover a lot of water!  If any of your friends or family want you to build them an XN Jigmaster, I have a half-dozen kits left that I need to sell.

Randy