daiwa Saltiga sa 20 tutorial

Started by hafnor, December 17, 2011, 01:38:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hafnor

The saltiga series is a personal favourite, especially the little 20. The reel produces 20 pounds of drag and is a real powerhouse, very nice metalwork here. As I started I saw that Alan had made a tutorial on the saltiga 30, but what the heck, it's another model... :P

Here it goes.

nice little reel with a narrow spool

remove all 6 screws to disasemble the left plate

remove bearing seal and the filt to access the left side spool bearing

out goes the bearing (some of the bearings were already open in this reel) Still going to clean them

after cleaning with breakcleaner I added some shimano oil.

now let that rest and lest start cleaning the left side plate thourougly! (I use white spirit)

paint the inside of the left side frame with a thin film with yamaha grease and place the bearing into the housing followed by the filt and then the BB-seal

Left side frame is now done, let it rest, while continuing removing the spool (It slides out easily)

now do as you did with the left side frame, paint the spool with a thin film with yamaha grease

Now, the spool is done, let it rest and continue to the bearing inside the right side housing. Remove the BB-seal and remove the bearing (this was also opened from before) Normally the reel would have pressed in shields on the spool bearings, so it goes out anyway.

Now clean and add new oil to the bearing and let it rest.

While the bearing rests go on to the inside house and the frames. Remove all old oil, grease, salt etc, and add a thin film of yamaha grease

Now put the bearing back inside and then the BB-seal

Now let's move on to the main house and the drag.

remove the safety screw for the handle nut

remove handle nut (couldn't find a fitting key so I taped a wrench)

off goes the handle

then unscrew the star drag (anti clockwise)

now remove drag clicker

now lets disasemble the right side frame by removing all 5 screws.

The right side frame pops up once the screws are removed

lets clean off old grease, oils and salt and add film of yamaha grease (be careful here since the handle bearing may fall out on the other side)

once that's done, move on to the casting recistance adjustement knob. Unscrew it

Now there is a bearing there but you have to access it on the other side, and there is also a small retainer there.

out comes the bearing. Now this is shielded so we need to clean and open it, then pack it with grease

I use a small fly to remove shields with retainers

Now that you have opened the bearings they need to be packed fully with grease. I use yamaha multi purpose marine grease put I mixed in some shimano oil for a lighter concistency (the reel will be used in very cold weather)

add the shield back on and the bearing is done and ready to be put back in to it's housing (remember the retainer)

then grease the inside of the casting adjustment knob

Now let's continue to the handle bearing, remove the two bellevilles and the bearing protection washer (Funny how you find words for thing's you don't know what's called :D)

remove the shields and pack it fully, then put the shields back on.

put the bearing back into it's house, and the right side frame is done!

Now onto the drag and gears. I saw Alans tutorial and had the same experience, the fitting here is extremely tight, Just grind carefull to get some more space.(careful)

Out goes the main gear and drag stack with it

Now remove all metal washers and unfourtunately teflon washers (I believe) and clean them. Mine were extremely greasy and nasty. I am leaving them dry until I can get some carbontex.

now clean the surfaces, pinion gear etc, and add new grease

Now put the main gear gear back (should be easy if you have grinded a bit)

Now allign the rigth side frame to the main frame: allign springs, pinion gear, main gear and screws.

Now we have seen the worst case scenario when the frame cracked on the saltiga when using grease. Let's use some light oil. This time it is the shimano oil

screw it back (easy does it)

Now I realligned the Bellevilles since the drag was pretty steep. To my desperation, the bellevilles are totally deformed....:( Need new ones!. I placed them as much   )(   as possible...

Back on goes the drag clicker

and the star drag

remember the spacer

now place the handle, handle nut and safety screw

place spool back into housing

and at last screw the left side plate to the house by the 6 screws (oiled). Easy does it with these screws too.

Done!

Almost!

We have to do the handle knob and the bearings inside.

Remove the screw

Remove the screw inside the handle knob.

Here you can see the alignment

remove the shields and pack the bearings. Then put the shields back on

grease the handle shaft and add the first bearing (goes all the way back)

add the handle

put the second bearing back, you have to fiddle a bit to fit it to the handle shaft.

Once that's done its just to screw back on tight

And you are done!

Very Very nice reel. Now I just need new bellevilles and add some greased carbontex.

hafnor

Any help would be greatly appreciated regarding the carbontex and bellevilles ;D

alantani

dawn should be able to get them out to you.  if not, i can.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

hafnor

Thank you Alan. I saw Dawn sent me an email so everything is good on the carbontex:) Bellevilles she did not have in stock... Anyways, did you get to send the tsi301 and cals?

wallacewt

i just did the saltiga50 star drag and its the same as the 20.thanks hafnor.solid reel.shame it only has a single abu style dog.i also ordered cf washers from dawn.

hafnor

It sure is a nice reel. I am thinking about getting one for myself since this was my friends:) Dawn sent me message on the carbontex but I still need new bellevilles, I believe the reel has been stored with the star locked down over time

alantani

glad everything is working out.  the tsi and drag grease were sent out long ago,  they are probably stuck somewere in between.......  :-\

hafnor

probably Norwegian Customs that is checking the goods. That cals grease might bring up some questions on the office! ;D

broadway

Just tore apart my Saltiga 30L... I had about 4 paper-thin shims through out my reel that I didn't see in your tutorial or Alan's... did you have any?  My assumption is that they add these little/invisible shims to make everything tighten up precisely, or is it to drive me crazy figuring out which part these tiny shims were greased to. Uggh!
Took me about an hour just to figure out where they came from.  Otherwise the reel isn't hard at all to break down.  I changed out the drags to Carbontex, but other than that it just got its first service by anyone in it's life.  I was surprised to see the reel was  so clean with the exception of the drag stack...  it was considerably dirty.  Another thing to watch for is when you grease inside (handle side) the side plate make sure you don't move the eccentric jack or you'll have to take it apart again because you won't be able to move the eccentric lever... ask me how I know :'(

Nice Job Haf,
Dom

hafnor

Sounds gold Dom. I noticed one tiny little metal ring but it was placed inside the left side plate bearing housing is this what you are referring to? It is a great reel and it is fearly waterproof as you stated. I wonder og freespool Will get better if you remove the felt and seal on the spool bearings... Anyways thank you for the Nice comment, it really makes it worth the while. My next hope now is to Get a sticky tag on the post from alan:)

broadway

Haf,
     I had that tiny ring inside the left side plate housing also, but these were on the opposite side.  Freespool for me isn't very important because I usually drift a bait and 8 (that's an 8 oz weight with a bunker head) which gets down in a hurry anyway.  Again, nice work and I see a sticky in your future  ;)
Dom.

alantani

hafnor

STICKY!  8)

@Dom, I only had one on the left side... I did not see any on the other, but there may be

Irish Jigger

Quote from: hafnor on December 24, 2011, 08:16:29 PM
STICKY!  8)

Congratulations Hafnor.  Great Tutorial with lovely clear pics. Nice to see a reel without a clicker in this day and age. ;)

broadway

Hey Haf,

I did my two Saltigas (30 & 30L) this week, and had a couple questions that may help others in the future with these reels.  On the 30 and 30L there is a rubber o-ring on one of the cut outs in the drive shaft (key #54) that is really two pieces (on mine at least.) :-\  I'm not sure why it's shown in the schematics after the last drag washers except for that is when you put it back on.  It should be shown on the drive shaft or at least noted.  Did you find this o-ring, and was it in two pieces or is mine broken... it's shown as a solid o-ring in the diagram?
     Also, check the orientation of your bellevilles )( because Alan's tutorial of the 30T shows them (). I positioned mine like Alan did because that's how they came out of the reel, and this reel was never opened.
This reel is a tank... I love it, but would love a clicker for my type of fishing.

Dom