8500SS build

Started by JasonGotaProblem, August 28, 2020, 03:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philaroman

don't worry -- you're nowhere near The Bedazzler
this was someone on eBay, who went insane w/ old 300's & a glue-gun (no "build" involved)
I imagine an old widow "sprucing up" hubby's reels, while he's spinning in his grave like a rotor
not sure if images of her(?) creations need to be never seen again,
or found & preserved as a cautionary tale :o

oc1

Too bad photos of those things were not preserved for posterity.  That person must have done at least a few dozen 300'S.  Now that they have disappeared from ebay you have to wonder where they all went.  Maybe in a few decades they will start to reemerge.

Yeah, the shark tooth is really cheesy.  Others can choose to not like it but art is art.
-steve

Gfish

I like the shark tooth thing. How about putting it on the gear box.
Gee, now I may have'ta have the kid send me the jaws I have in the wife's garage on the mainland. Only a 4' Pelagic White Tip, but an oversized head/mouth with relatively large teeth for this species. Maybe the lower jaw spikey ones on one side and the triangular serrated ones on the other side? The wife would never understand but that kinda makes it even cooler.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

philaroman

Quote from: oc1 on September 21, 2020, 08:18:00 PM
Too bad photos of those things were not preserved for posterity.  That person must have done at least a few dozen 300'S.  Now that they have disappeared from ebay you have to wonder where they all went.  Maybe in a few decades they will start to reemerge.

Yeah, the shark tooth is really cheesy.  Others can choose to not like it but art is art.
-steve

seriously, Steve
I scrolled all the way down to a young, skinny, sparkly Jerry Garcia -- no bedazzled 300's
it's like some MIB Master Hacker / Mitchell fan got offended & scrubbed the internet

Jason,
just carve a whole Meggy sideplate   ;D ;D ;D

JasonGotaProblem

Why no to on the rotor? is it thaaaat precisely balanced that the addition will throw it off?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

philaroman

why have a sharp protrusion closer to line?   ...and, spinning ???
it's something cool to look at & you can't tell what it is, when spinning
balance throw-off too minute to hurt, but sure won't help

oc1

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on September 22, 2020, 12:25:30 AM
Why no to on the rotor? is it thaaaat precisely balanced that the addition will throw it off?
It's not just the fossilized tooth, the weight also includes all the embedding compound needed to smooth over the protrusions.  But, there are no fishing reel police so.... whatever.

You could carve out the rotor so the tooth becomes an inlay instead of something attached to the surface.  Cut a hole in the rotor, back the hole with duct tape, set the tooth in the hole, fill the hole and cover the tooth with clear casting resin.
-steve

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: oc1 on September 22, 2020, 04:52:00 AM
But, there are no fishing reel police so.... whatever.
So Alan himself won't be coming to slap the cuffs on?  :(
You could carve out the rotor so the tooth becomes an inlay instead of something attached to the surface.  Cut a hole in the rotor, back the hole with duct tape, set the tooth in the hole, fill the hole and cover the tooth with clear casting resin.
-steve
That's actually a really good idea. Just a bit... Permanent...

Brewcrafter

My concern (beyond the balance issues that wiser folks have pointed out) with mounting a shark tooth is stability.  What are the conditions gonna be like you are fishing in?  Extreme cold or hot?  I would just be concerned that repeated exposure to extremes would cause the different substances, with different thermal expansion rates, to not play nice and delaminate.  And while the tooth will be embedded in the resin, you still will need to reckon on the bond that the resin has with the spool over that area, regardless of how thick it is.  Especially since it is a rotor cup that is a relatively thin cross section of metal with a lot of surface area for thermal interaction.  Cool shark tooth BTW.  I wonder if this is also not a contributing factor to all the folks with "Greenies" that are missing medallions?  Different metals that over time expand/contract at different rates, until suddenly the medallion pops off?  Not sure since I have never fished with or owned a Greenie to have personal experience. 
On a side note, I have seen some beautiful polished reels.  Even a trick custom paint job requires a lot of surface prep followed by finish work.  Not to my taste, but I can totally appreciate the level of work that goes into them.   - john

JasonGotaProblem

It was a very productive night. I'm having issues with the new (old) main gear I bought, the handle isn't screwing in.. It may be stripped. I have another if thats the case, that just means I can't fish it this morning. But man its getting there. Special thanks to Lee (keta) for the SS ratchet set that i didnt even need to cut myself.

I was just steadily working on it after the wife and kids went down. I finished up and looked back at the clock: 4am! Time flies.

philaroman

how many manhours personhours(?) is that?

would this have helped? (sorry, didn't think you could get small/cheap aircraft stripper):
https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-352969-Aircraft-Remover/dp/B086DL1PKG/ref=sr_1_5?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&dchild=1&keywords=rustoleum+aircraft+remover+gallon&linkCode=ur2&linkId=SIZARKPLVFQSKT6F&qid=1601141857&sr=8-5&tag=mjsacom-20

...whatever -- it's a lbor of love:  get a can...  keep going...  start a trend  ;D

ReelFishingProblems

I used Easy Off... how does it compare to Aircraft Remover?

jurelometer

I don"t know about this specific product, but stuff sold as aircraft paint remover can have VOCs that are super toxic.   There are some newer products that claim to be much less toxic.

It is  wayyy too easy to buy some pretty  scary stuff online. 

-J

philaroman

never tried, can't comment on safety, but would expect more effective -- formulated for tough paint on strong AL alloys...  EO is formulated for grease on enamel

JasonGotaProblem

I tried easy off. No effect on the paint whatsoever. Didn't expect that. But the paint is an enamel. So if its meant to be safe on enamel I guess I should have expected it.