8500SS build

Started by JasonGotaProblem, August 28, 2020, 03:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

It's alive!

The custom spring I added is far too strong. The stock spring is plenty strong enough to do the job, but is far quieter. Never expected nor wanted silence, but in its current state its louder than the drag clicker, and that's just excessive. I have an idea for how i can utilize a 2nd stock spring, but it involves some custom work. Gonna experiment with that maybe tonight.

Also just to be clear: I know i took a work horse and made it look like a show pony. I assure you it will still be treated like a work horse. I will be using it at beaches and jetties.  I know it'll get scratched. I'm not worried about that. This was about the journey, not the destination.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

philaroman

love the look, but "beaches and jetties" would scare me
I'd try it for brackish Stripers, first & see how it holds up

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: philaroman on September 28, 2020, 06:05:36 PM
love the look, but "beaches and jetties" would scare me
I'd try it for brackish Stripers, first & see how it holds up

No stripers in FL. Ok i hear theres some up in the panhandle but thats kinda far. Point taken though. I suspect it'll start out against redfish and snook, even though my 4000 size reels are more than adequate for those (just because those are my favorites to eat and I'll be targeting them anyway) and i suspect I'll next head to gandy bridge here in Tampa to chase some bonnet heads before I upgrade to the bigger toothier beasts. With 500 yds of 50 lb braid I bet I can target a lot, once I know the AR kit is up to the task. I worry those teeth may not be tall enough, but only one way to find out.

Gfish

Looks fantastic Jason. Silver and gold. And I don't even get into the looks to much.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on January 19, 1970, 12:48:30 PM
I have an idea for how i can utilize a 2nd stock spring, but it involves some custom work.
Ok so i took a spare pinion spacer I had laying around and modified it a bit. I shaved down one side to sit flush against the bearing cover, and shaved down the bottom to fit on the raised area between the dog stud and the bearing cover, and drilled a carefully spaced hole into which a stuffed a folder over piece of spring wire. This allows the stock spring to function on the silent dog side the same way it works on the stock sprung side. It still needs a bit more refinement but the bottom line is IT WORKS!!

I took a pic but I've refined the shape further since then. I need to go back and take a pic of it in place and working.

Quote from: Gfish on September 29, 2020, 03:36:19 PM
Looks fantastic Jason. Silver and gold. And I don't even get into the looks to much.
Thank you. I'm not usually one to care about aesthetics for something like this, but this has been a lot of fun and I'm glad I did it this way. It may be the only truly one of a kind thing that i own.