Glue for end cap

Started by JasonGotaProblem, September 08, 2020, 07:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

So the butt cap fell off my star rod (stellar lite fast taper). Its a minor annoyance from an otherwise excellent rod. What glue do i use to reattach this? I'm not even sure what material it is. Fake cork maybe?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Swami805

Just about any kind of epoxy should work
Do what you can with that you have where you are

philaroman

I believe that's "burl cork" -- more durable, poor "hand-feel", great for end-caps
seems Star opted for a weak adhesive, which is why it came apart so clean
serious epoxy will hold longer, but much stronger than either real or faux cork,
so if it comes apart again, it will rip out cork chunks...  your choice to go strongest, or cork-specific

Midway Tommy

If it were mine I would see how far inside the cork handle the blank is, add a screw to the inside of the butt cap and glue it back on with good epoxy having a generous amount around the screw and into the end of the blank. That should give it some stability and keep it from popping/shearing off again. Stand it up & down while the glue sets up to puddle it around the screw in the end of the blank. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Cor

Quote from: Swami805 on September 08, 2020, 09:08:15 PM
Just about any kind of epoxy should work
I was going to say the same, though I tend to use Superglue for nearly everything these days.    Then I noticed the flush break and suppose it may need some sort of strengthening.
That having been said I tend to be "economical" with my labour and will probably still first try the glue if it were my own rod.   If it then breaks again, initiate plan B which involves more work! ;D
Cornelis

Brewcrafter

All good suggestions.  Another option - pretty much all rod building suppliers offer selections of inexpensive soft rubber "butt caps" in various sizes that slide on/push on over the end of the handle to protect it.  Here is a photo of a repair I did to an old Sabre:

- john

Gfish

Midway's method sounds stronger, but another way might be to drill little holes in the burl cork so epoxy has somethin to grab onto.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JasonGotaProblem

Ya know I almost didn't post this. A part of me expected people to say something along the lines of "just glue it ya noob!"
But this turned out to yield some useful info and ideas. So thank you all.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.