Which vintage Penn Reel for surf fishing blacktips?

Started by NBraun, September 08, 2020, 08:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NBraun

I'm looking to put together a surf casting setup for black tips. I know nothing about the differences between all the penn reels, so figured I would ask here. I'm hoping to be able to find a cheaper reel, and then spend some money to upgrade it to learn to work on reels. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Bill B

More knowledgeable will chime in shortly, I've never fished for blacktips, but would think a a Penn 113H would be a good place to start.  Modifications to this reel are endless, but a SS gear sleeve, carbon fiber drags, and handle upgrades are highly recommended and can be done for about $60..... Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Gfish

Agree with Bill. How big are the blacktips where you fish for 'em? Welcome NBraun!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JasonGotaProblem

Do you plan to spool with Mono or braid? This will help determine how vintage you wanna go. Spinning or conventional? How heavy of a line do you wanna run?

I'm partial to my 8500SS as a surf rig but my bias is easy to find. Just be sure to avoid anything that ends in "m"

An 8500ss and 8500ssm are only one letter apart but worlds apart in value and capability. (The ssm models are later and made in China using inferior components)

There's also a bunch of SSVs on the used market. They're decent as long as you accept that the bail knob cranks down further than the reel can handle. But that's not really vintage.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

wfjord

The blacktip I've caught were in the 4 - 4.5 ft range (in the Gulf) on a 113h with live pinfish from a boat --not in the surf.  If I were to ever target them again I'd probably go lighter and use my 150 Surfmaster loaded w/ 50 or 65lb spectra; or maybe a 750ss.

conchydong

It depends how far you need to cast to get your bait unless you are paddling it out. Since most BTs are in the size range you caught already a Torque or a Fathom in the 30 size would fit the bill IMO. If you want to go old school, hot rod a Jigmaster.
EDIT: I realized you do want a vintage so a Jiggy will be my choice.

Sharkb8

For that size shark I would use a 113h 112h or a jigmaster a alvey is a nother good surf casting reel but we don't have blacktiph here in south Australia

NBraun

Thanks for the advice! The plan is to fish the on the east coast of Florida, by Daytona beach. I'm actually from South Dakota, but we have family to visit down in Florida. The rod/reel will be used for catfish the rest of the year.

oc1

Benni3

If you going to cast it,,,, :o a brand new us senator is the trick,,,,,, ;) that's what my friend jeff said,,,,,,,,, ;D

RowdyW

You are probably going to cast your bait so for distance you should probably use a spinning reel. Generally a 7500 or 8500 size reel would be adequate. The difference between them is usually the spool size with the 8500 holding more line than the 7500. Also think about the tackle at the end of your line. You are going to need at least 2-3 feet of wire on the end of your line with about 8 feet or more of 80# or heavier mono for your rub leader & a sinker heavy enough to hold the bottom in the current. Using mono to your hook won't usually work because a sharks skin is like sandpaper & they will try to jam the line into the bottom to get rid of the hook. Plus a shark will bite right through a piece of mono or braided line. For a hook you should use a 8/0 circle hook 3x-4x size. Just getting the bait out there is only half the battle. I would recomend a different reel for catfish, probably a jigmaster size reel. Saltwater predator fishing is a different ballgame then freshwater cat fishing.  Not to say that a shark pulled in on a hand line isn't possible.        Rudy

thorhammer

We catch blacktips in surf in NC- vintage would be 704 or 706Z, spooled with 65 lb braid and 80 shock leader long enough to get a couple turns around spool- longer than the fish and easier on finger casting for distance. then terminals as Rudy suggests- make sure you are Fla compliant for this activity.

A 4/0 is a great reel but will take some practice to long cast, more than you likely want to put in to get great distance. If you can find one, the best conventional reel for this would be a Magpower 990- it's made for surf casting and has 4/0 size drags. Also in contention, Penn 555 and Daiwa Sea Line 300 series- all over 25 years old since launch. My buddy caught a blacktip about 100lbs on a 545, which is same reel but narrower- these have carbon fiber drags stock, double anti-reverse dogs and cast like a bat out of hell, with good retrieve speed, too. I have caught rays well over a hundred on 525Mag, and a five foot blacktip is nowhere near as hard to move as a huge ray stuck on the bottom. As others mentioned- the SS series Penn Spinfishers as well- 9500SS will hold 300yds 30 mono plus shock leader or probably 500 of 65lb braid, and came about '95. I just caught a yellowfin on my stock one a month ago- still going strong.

All of these were made for surf fishing, vintage, and can handle good size fish- and not too large to use on good size cats if that's what most of your fishing is.

JasonGotaProblem

I think a strong consideration should be what's available for purchase. The most appropriate vintage reel in the world is meaningless if you can't find one for sale.

CL in Florida is full of vintage penn reels, and almost as full of goofballs who don't know the real value of what they have, and that's in both directions! I've picked up some real bargains and laughed at a few who are selling their used gear for more than it went for new (also 'I kept the box" does not equal new in box, but apparently lots of folks think it does). I have no idea what the South Dakota craigslist scene is like, but maybe start searching from now. Or talk to your fam down here in the sunshine state about picking one up that you've found online here and shipping it up to you to work on.

There's lots of fun to be had doing what you intend. I'm working on an 8500SS currently for the same reason (to learn). Just be reasonable about what projects you sign yourself up for and what aspects to just let go. Otherwise you'll end up like me, 20 hours deep on an entirely unnecessary mission to polish the aluminum body to a mirror finish so you can take it to the beach to scratch it up.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

CapeFish

Almost more important is the right rod if you are planning to cast. You can get excellent distance with a 113 size reel with an aliminium spool with the right rod.

Gfish

Guys surf fishing here, use 113H's or a comparable size Newell for Ulua. Their rods are usually heavy action 13 footers.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!