The Daiwa 8300

Started by mo65, September 09, 2020, 03:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

This is another one of those reels that has been avoiding me, and the last model I needed from the 8000 series. Like most of the other 8000s I've found, it was good 'n' rough. I used the coin routine again for the missing badge...this time a penny was the best fit. She had a toasted bearing, and cleaning offered no help. Saved by Fred yet again, as one of the South Bend bearings he sent me slipped right in. I had most of the reel back together before I realized I had no pics, so I snapped a few for posterity. Also, if you need more teardown details, just check out the other 8000 series posts. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

wfjord

Nice work! That's a decent looking reel. What would that be comparable to size-wise in the 1st gen Penns?

Gfish

Them there are a sturdy lookin series of reels. Time frame for production?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

Quote from: wfjord on September 09, 2020, 04:36:28 PM
Nice work! That's a decent looking reel. What would that be comparable to size-wise in the 1st gen Penns?

It appears to be between a 712 and a 720 in size.

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on September 09, 2020, 05:37:00 PM

They came out in '69...I think they made 'em until the mid 70s.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: mo65 on September 09, 2020, 06:43:06 PM
Quote from: Gfish on September 09, 2020, 05:37:00 PM

They came out in '69...I think they made 'em until the mid 70s.

Probably pretty close. The "A"s came out in '73.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

The Fishing Hobby

I've got one I need to clean up myself!
Looks good, I like the penny too.

bushleague

A couple quick questions for you Mo, or whoever else might know... Just wondering if that main gear shaft is supported at both ends, and if so how? I see that it only has two bearings, but there appears to be a little "nub" sticking out of the gear, just wondering if that is helping support the shaft or not?

I recently saw an "8350HRL" reel for sale. This reel looked alot like a 7350HRL, just wondering if anyone knows whether it would have a worm geat like the 8300 or if its just a silver 7350?

Lastly, what is the gear ratio on that 8300? I'm assuming the 8350HRL might have a faster ratio?

mo65

Quote from: bushleague on May 10, 2022, 05:31:10 AMA couple quick questions for you Mo, or whoever else might know... Just wondering if that main gear shaft is supported at both ends, and if so how? I see that it only has two bearings, but there appears to be a little "nub" sticking out of the gear, just wondering if that is helping support the shaft or not?

What is the gear ratio on that 8300? I'm assuming the 8350HRL might have a faster ratio?

Yes, the gear is supported on both ends. That "nub" goes into the gear shaft bearing, the handle side is supported by a bronze bushing. The gear ratio is 3.7:1.  8)

CincyDavid

I bought what's turning out to be an 8300 at a garage sale over the weekend for $5.  The OP inspired me to superglue a penny where the medallion goes as well.  Somebody tried to grind the "2-" part off of the 2-ball bearings embossing for some reason.  Ugly little reel but it seems to work fine after a good cleaning/lubrication. 8300.jpg

Walter61

Here maybe to show the whole series.
The boxes look great.

sandbar

8000 Series Ad

sandbar

Here is a picture of my 8300A.
I believe the aluminum spool may be the only difference.

Gfish

I read the first ad, Sandbar. Something about; the last word in retrieving power, 50% over comparable reels... wonder what that means? Speed?, torque?... man the stuff they come-up with...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!