Grunt Work & Reward

Started by Maxed Out, September 24, 2020, 06:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Last month we had the last 4 trees cut down outta our back yard. I cut the stumps low and went to work building a flower bed that would cover them up.

First off, this was during short summer fishing season, so there was no time to waste. Digging the ditch reminded me I'm not a spring chicken no more. My work was constantly being inspected. So far so good !
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Maxed Out

Once the ditch was done it was time for crushed rock and laying the base blocks for the lowest part of the wall. This is on a hill, so I had to start at lowest point and work my way to the highest.

My install tools are fairly simple. The 3 most important are the 12" level and kneeling pads....and the "thor" hammer.

No string line here because of curvature. Plus it just gets in the way

Maxed Out

As I worked my way to the uphill end, My base tier would also step up. This made it so I had to stack 5 tiers on lower end just to continue to lay base stones on upper end. Once the base stones are all in it's just stacking blocks and a few simple cuts on each end

Maxed Out

From the uphill side the top tier is barely exposed. The lower side of the hill shows full 7 tiers of blocks. This gives an idea of the hill I'm dealing with

From start to finish, it took about 35 hours total over 6 days. All 230 blocks came in 9 at a time on my hand truck. 25 bags of crushed rock hand trucked in 3 at a time.

All the dirt was sifted for old roots and debris, then shoveled into the new bed. The top 16" will get nice garden soil. Thankfully this is the last wall I plan on building. I have now done the whole 120' fenceline hillside and 25 different terraces with over 3,000 blocks. Now back to fishing !

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I wish that I had half of your energy Ted, and a quarter of your skills.  You are a true Renaissance Man!

xjchad

Wow, looking good Ted!  Your "eyeball" looks to be calibrated well!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

That's beautiful. So what are you planning to put in that bed?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Gobi King

woa, nice , my back is hurting just looking at the pictures.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Swami805

Nice work Ted, that should buy you some fishing time. Hope there's some tuna still swimming around up there
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

dang, pld boy, that's what they make pine straw for! nice work

Hardy Boy

I liked those trees ......................cedars if I remember correctly .................... while drinking beer on your deck.

Nice work:

Todd
Todd

scrinch

Nice work. Looks very clean. It would be the perfect place to plant a couple of trees! :)

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Shark Hunter

You Did Good Ted.
Looks like a job to be proud of. ;D
Life is Good!