Fenwick 670 130lb Class

Started by OldSchool, September 27, 2020, 12:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

The rod on display at Universal was not a Fenwick at all. It was a Tycoon Tackle Bimini King. I said so in one of the threads on the RPF forum, which i see is where you are getting some information.
Screenshot of the alleged rod below. Here is a link to the thread. You can see my comment on page two from three years ago. 
https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/quints-fishing-rod-in-jaws.233279/

I believe the evidence that I have presented in this thread, and the complete dialogue from the linked RPF thread above, should be plenty enough to convince most people that the rod, in its filming configuration, did not have a wood butt.

You seem to be unconvinced and that is OK with me.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

OldSchool

Im aware the Universal rod is not the jaws rod but point to that as a likely point to why people believe the rod to have a wooden butt. I dont weigh chat threads or those chat threads that you linked as showing any credible information to substantiate the claims both for the fibreglass butt and stainless steel butt and on balance without providing source for the information I can only consider that idle internet chat banter and as stated a potential reason why people believe the butt was wood.

The information in the Fenwick catalogue, the movie reel still frames and the internet chat thread or evidence that you say, says more to refute the rod as having a covered stainless steel butt then it does to convince anyone.

Based on the Fenwick catalogue the covered steel butt was manufactured 1974-75. The movie was being filmed in 1974 and released to cinema in 1975. It would be highly unlikely a 1974 model rod would be manufactured distributed to market purchased by a charter captain and used to develop the level of patina and damage as is depicted in the actual movie footage. It would be more likely the rod is as early as a J series 1969 - 1970 given ample time for the rod to be into the market and used on a boat and develop the amount of sun bleaching, patina and damage typical to the rod in the movie.

Based on the movie reel screenshots you have provided and and by frame review it is clearly shown the rod to have significant damage to the butt, probably damaged so bad its unusable as a working rod. When you review those frames it is damaged in a way to suggest it is wood or fibreglass.
Since the Fenwick catalogue shows it would not be wood then it must be fibreglass, the fibreglass butt is also period correct. The damage can be seen as jagged and fibre like in nature. A stainless steel butt does not damage in this way. It could be said the covered stainless steel butt has the outer layer damaged as its too thick for the chair holder however if that were the case the underlying stainless steel would be showing. The rod butt is fibreglass.

Both the Fenwick catalogue and the actual movie are both undisputed sources of information and is ample evidence for the rod butt to be shown as fibreglass and refutes the notion of it being stainless steel. The Jaws rod therefore in its original movie form was A Fenwick 670 130lb class brown rod with a fibreglass butt and mildrum guides as early as J series.

As to how the rod ended up with a wood butt prior to its refurbishment after the movie I couldn't say and I would propose the rod was borrowed from a working boat the Gladius X and since it was a working boat they lent them a busted rod for filming (what charter would lend game gear when they use it if they have a busted one). After filming the rod was returned and now it has the notoriety of being in a movie someone decides they want to use it but need to repair the butt. a wooden butt is used for that repair. Either its a replacement from an earlier rod or a lathe copy of the fibreglass butt. The rod goes back onto the boat with a wooden butt. The rod is then recovered months later with a wooden butt and everyone believes the rod had a wooden butt. After refurbished the rod resembles nothing like the movie rod and why it wasn't restored to original is anyone's guess.

Like you im Ok if you remain unconvinced but in light of hard undisputed fact its hard to argue against the movie rod butt being fibreglass.

Bill B

Interesting discussion gentlemen. Much enjoyed this. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

broadway

Never knew the story about the Gladius X loaning the rod for the movie...  very cool.
Dom

Maxed Out

Love the back story behind the jaws reel....

.....but it seems there are more than a few collectors all claiming to own the jaws rod & reel. The only real one is in the movie, and from what I've read here, that one in the movie no longer exists as it appeared in the movie, which would open Pandora's box and allow ownership claims that cannot be substantiated
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

1badf350

So remember in my previous reply about Lynn and Susan Murphy owning the rod and purchasing a bunch of props including the rod back from universal after the movie wrapped? I was slightly mistaken. Lynn Murphy was the captain of the Gladius X, so the claim that the rod was theirs before and after the film must be pretty credible.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

1badf350

A few screenshots of some comments from the RPF thread, debating the wood butt and a quote from Susan Murphy regarding rod ownership.
Note: I did not post either of these. I go by 1BadF350 on that board just as I do here.
-Chris

1badf350

A production still of Quint with the rod. I still firmly believe this is the brown hypalon covered butt. The hypalon is dark brown identical to the foregrip. Same as my rod

Varmac RS6H reel seats are easily interchangeable between rods fitted with them so however the rod may have ended up later on, was a matter of someone switching butts in 30 seconds.
-Chris

OldSchool

The actual rod coming from the Gadius X for filming and returning to the Gladius X after filming was never a contention. The fact that Lynn Murphey was the gladius X captain and not some random clears up the idea the rod was sold off to a prop collector. It is well documented they had salvage rights to all the crap used to operate the mechanical shark and the sinking orca 2 prop of which some of it they sold off.

OldSchool

I see the reference to some random RPF thread on the internet which i cant consider any more then random opinions on an internet thread. In those same threads other UK Chris says 

"The Jaws rod is a Fenwick Woodstream 130lb class. It was brown (painted) fibreglass and had a brown foam foregrip with Mildrum roller guides and a Varmac reel seat size RS6H. The rod used in Jaws was one of the earlier models and had a wooden butt. I have, after much searching, just bought an almost identical model; the only difference is that mine has the later stainless steel butt with everything else exactly the same (wooden butts had a habit of snapping on a savage strike when trolling so Fenwick developed a stainless steel butt which was replaced with the aluminium Aftco butt when Fenwick redesigned the rod to use white fibreglass and Aftco roller guides)"

The internet is full of claims about people owing and selling the JAWs rod, its like the end of a Spartacus movie saying "I am Spartacus" only its I am selling the Jaws rod blah blah

Internet banter is not a credible source of information unless it gives substantiated claims, lets face it the same RPF thread you point to are saying opposite things. 

OldSchool

Im not going to repeat myself from earlier posts so i will just sum it up. The Fenwick catalogue is credible and reliable and shows he covered stainless steel butt was manufactured 1974-75. The movie was filming in 1974. It is unbelievable that a 1974 manufactured covered stainless steel rod was distributed to tackle shops purchased and found its was onto a charter boat where it was used long enough to develop the damage and patina of the movie rod and be used in the movie the same year. More likely a 1969-70 model with fibreglass butt. The movie rod was well worn out no where near new.

pjstevko

Here's my 1968/1969 640 50# double roller

OldSchool

The screenshots from the movie clearly show the movie rod was extensively damaged and this damage clearly shows the rod butt could not be stainless steel. Its damaged fibreglass since wood was not an option as shown by the Fenick catalogue.

UKChris1

Hi chaps,

Regarding this fascinating discussion, I can only add that when I posted elsewhere about the original Jaws rod having a wooden butt I was not aware that Fenwick ever did a fibreglass butt for the brown 130lb rod. I only knew of the stainless steel (as mine has) or brown wooden butts. Therefore, I cannot be certain, as I once thought, that the rod butt in the film was wood. I might still believe it, but I cannot substantiate my belief.

What does surprise me though is how much lighter the brown 130lb rod tip is compared to the white glass model that succeeded it (and I apologise for raising this as it is not directly relevant to the discussion).

Chris

Cuttyhunker

Menemsha is six miles across Vineyard Sound from Cuttyhunk, and during the summer months I used to sell my lobsters there as the price x-vessel was always twenty or twenty five percent higher than the mainland markets were offering.  That was the mid 70's and maybe a quarter mile up Menemsha Creek from the basin the Orca was a derelict pulled up on the dunes rotting away and forgotten except as a curiosity. The Gladius X used to fish the First International Swordfish Tournament out of Cuttyhunk in the 60's, I recall thinking the name as a takeoff on the broadbill's scientific name, Xiphias Gladius, was pretty cool.  It was a squared away rig.  By the early 70's the Swords were all gone from the continental shelf southward out to the canyons decimated by the stick boats and spotter planes.
Doomed from childhood