Baja Special drag issues.

Started by Jenx, September 29, 2020, 06:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenx

This might be a newbie question/problem, but I recently acquired a Baja Special, and I just upgraded it with the Cortez bridge assembly.

After I put it back together I checked to make sure everything was working properly, and I noticed the drag couldn't be loosened. No matter how much I loosen the star drag wheel the drag continues to stay under pressure.

I'm checking the schematics, and everything seems to be assembled correctly. Any suggestions of what might be causing this? I can't remember if I checked the drag before I took it apart, so I don't know if this was already an issue, or if it's something I did.

Thanks.

Edit: I also upgraded the plastic star drag wheel to a metal one. I'm not sure if that would be a factor or not.

Gfish

Never heard a that'n. Could the star be stripped so it don't losen past a certain point? How bout the metal drag washers, could one have gotten cockeyed at an angle? This one's interesting.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Ron Jones

The only thing I can think of is a cross threaded star that is below the cross thread. Hope that isn't it, that sounds ugly. I'd see if I could take the star off and start from there.
Good luck
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mo65

If that new star is thicker(wider) than the old one it would be keeping the drags pushed tight.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

steelfish

Quote from: Jenx on September 29, 2020, 06:39:27 PM
I noticed the drag couldn't be loosened. No matter how much I loosen the star drag wheel the drag continues to stay under pressure.

when you said "stay under pressure", do you mean really tight drag or just some drag like maybe 4# of drag when the star is all the way loosen?

not the same case "per se" but when I installed delrin washers under the main gear and on the top of the drag stack on my Baja Special, the drag stack gained some height compared to how it was with stock washers, now the star cannot go all the way back to Zero drag, it hits the handle blade and the reel still have around 5# drag, but that works for me since I normally carry that reel with 18# or 20# of drag when fishing.
The Baja Guy

Jenx

So here's the thing. I swapped out the new metal star with the original plastic star, and it made no difference. The spool still turns when I turn the handle, and I have to put a lot of pressure on the spool with my hand to keep it from spinning while I turn the handle.

I then just took the star off completely and turned the gear sleeve with my fingers, and I was still turning the spool like it was under a bunch of drag pressure.

Apparently I need to strip this thing down completely, and start over. I guess I did something wrong putting it back together.   

Jenx

Quote from: steelfish on September 29, 2020, 08:20:01 PM
Quote from: Jenx on September 29, 2020, 06:39:27 PM
I noticed the drag couldn't be loosened. No matter how much I loosen the star drag wheel the drag continues to stay under pressure.

when you said "stay under pressure", do you mean really tight drag or just some drag like maybe 4# of drag when the star is all the way loosen?

not the same case "per se" but when I installed delrin washers under the main gear and on the top of the drag stack on my Baja Special, the drag stack gained some height compared to how it was with stock washers, now the star cannot go all the way back to Zero drag, it hits the handle blade and the reel still have around 5# drag, but that works for me since I normally carry that reel with 18# or 20# of drag when fishing.

The drag is tight. I have to put a lot of pressure on the spool with my hand to keep it from spinning when I turn the handle.

Rivverrat

Does reel free spool well ?  If so how much weight does it pick up of the floor ? Attempting to wrap my head around how much resistance you have with drag backed all the way off... Jeff

Jenx

I opened it up to see if anything was rubbing against the spool. I didn't see anything so i closed it back up, and now the drag seems to be working fine.  ???

No clue, but it's working so I can't complain. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Ron Jones

Glad you got it sorted out with no extra money, good job.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

Quote from: Jenx on September 30, 2020, 12:17:07 AM
I didn't see anything so i closed it back up, and now the drag seems to be working fine.  ???

Sometimes it just happens that way. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rivverrat

Could have been a drag washer not setting right in gear. Good to hear its working.  This is one of my two all time favorite reels. No other reel that I am aware of in it's size will produce its "fishable" drag while casting as well as the Baja / US113... Jeff

G8trwood

Old thread, but was looking for info on the current drag stack recommendation for the baja.

Thanks

Rancanfish

I don't think there is any change to the Baja drag set up since new. Upgrade to a Cortez bridge and you have a great reel.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.