stories and pictures of alto mare

Started by alantani, October 11, 2020, 05:08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 23, 2020, 05:48:06 PM
See you in Heaven Sal.  Enjoy the fishing!!!

Don't worry, Bryan —

Sal just went ahead of us to get the boat rigged up and ready...

He'll be waiting for us at the dock.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mizmo67

I'm so sad that I never got to visit with Sal and his family. We'd talked about it on the phone a couple of times, but, life happens. Learned a lot troubleshooting things with him.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Decker

Quote from: foakes on October 24, 2020, 12:02:27 AM
Quote from: Bryan Young on October 23, 2020, 05:48:06 PM
See you in Heaven Sal.  Enjoy the fishing!!!

Sal just went ahead of us to get the boat rigged up and ready... He'll be waiting for us at the dock.

"Put out into the deep water and let down your nets for a catch."

JoseCuervo

Courtesy Sid.

JoseCuervo

I have enjoyed perusing the archives that is the AT website, going back MANY years.

I am sorry in advance if I end up posting any duplicates, but anything without the Photobucket pic ruining banner is better than their sickening disdain for the original users.

Cathy Ciarlante

Hello,

Please forgive me, this is my real first time of being on the website (for longer than one minute as I just break out in tears every time I try) and so I am not quite sure where to post this message so I suppose that I will post it on every page that is listed under the In Memory of Sal Ciarlante. That is the only way that I know that I will reach everyone who commented, left lovely messages of condolence, or wished my family comfort, in any way.

I cannot express how much the love and support, that my family received from AlanTani.com, has meant to us! There really are no words to express my deep, deep appreciation and very sincere gratitude for your continued support! This past month has been just so devastating and painful for me, Alyssa and Anthony and grieving in the time of a global pandemic has just made it even more difficult. It is still very surreal and I wake each day thinking perhaps it was just a bad dream. I must admit that I have not yet found the courage to be in Sal's work area (where he did all of his custom reel work and repairs) for even a whole minute, yet. On the one time I walked back there, I saw that he still had a small paintbrush in some sort of gel and his tools were spread out all over...it must have been what he was working on the day we left for the hospital, so long ago. I walked back there, and I could just see him sitting on that chair, with a beautiful smile on his face, doing what gave him such satisfaction and joy! It was all I could take, but I am working up the courage to go back there again, some day soon. The kids and I do spend time in Sal's mancave, each night, and it's comforting to be surrounded by his things.

I would have liked very much to have the celebration of Sal's life, that I believe he deserved, but I felt very strongly that we needed to respect the pandemic and do everything in our power to keep our family, friends and loved ones safe! As you read in his obituary, we are planning a post-Covid 19, late-springtime memorial service, God willing. I will be sure to post all of the details, at that time! We had an immediate family funeral and laid Sal's remain to rest on a stormy Friday (October 16) and I felt as though the heavens were crying for my Sal. As I told you all before, not only did the Alan Tani family get mentioned in Sal's obituary, but Alyssa (our daughter) mentioned it in his Eulogy, as well.

I am so sorry that this first post of mine was so long but I just wanted to be sure to express my gratitude and to let you all know how important you are to me and the kids!

I wish you, and your families, a blessed Thanksgiving holiday!

All my very best,
Cathy Ciarlante & Family

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

We'll be there. Planned time off from work already. Just need to know when.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Donnyboat

Thank you Cathy, you do a great job, of placing words on paper, specially for a first post, under so much difficulty, all the best in the future, cheers Pat & Don.
Don, or donnyboat

broadway

We're thrilled to have you here with us,  Sal would love it!
Kim, Jack, and I are also looking forward to Sal's life celebration.  He's gonna be listening in on some seriously fishy fish "stories that day" if Alan and Bryan are gonna be there, lol. ;)
We all wish you and the family the very best.
Warm regards,
Dom

milne

Great to hear from you Cathy.
Our thoughts and prayers are still with you and your family....

Col

foakes

Over the years, Sal and I (like many of you) had many conversations, traded reels and parts, gifted parts, gifted reels, offered each other advice (Sal likely did not need any advice — but he wanted to make me feel good anyway).  Money never changed hands — he always said I knew better, because my money was no good with him.  We each adhered to the rules of no payments after that — just a friendship and a free sharing of each other's resources.

I got him started on DAM Quick reels — he got me started on custom upgrades for Penns.

One day, these two cranks show up in the mail with a note from Sal — "thought you might be able to use these".  They will go on a couple of special personal reels.

Sue and I were invited to Cathy & Sal's home whenever we were in Philadelphia.  The time we were coming through there (when Tony took us on a private tour of the Penn plant headquarters) — we were not able to take them up on their kind offer — since Alyssa was graduating from college at that time.  Handsome family.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

broadway

I remember how proud Sal was of Alyssa on that day.
Thanks for posting this, Fred!
Hope to get to meet you in may at Sals memorial.
Best
Dom

gstours

Thanksgiving day ,,,,, I'm sure Sal would have been up inthe kitchen before daylight,  cutting, peeling, prep stuff and enjoying the smells and anticipation of providing the best for his family.
   Thanks Kathy for your letter and we know how much he loved you, and his family.
Sal was a friend to many people that he had never met.   Truly a good person from the old school.
   We all send our love to you on this day of thanksgiving.   With love,  gst.

Dominick

I just received this from Cathy.  Made me sad.  I miss him along with the rest of you.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.