80 VISW - Handle Loosens and Handle "jumps" under load when reeling

Started by Marlinmate, October 12, 2020, 01:43:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marlinmate

Why would the handle on this reel continue to loosen after time?  

Also...occasionally, when under load, the handle will "jump" forward a half a turn, then continue on as if nothing has happened.

Any ideas?  
FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

Marlinmate

Alright...so tore into this reel.

First....there is excessive side to side play when pulling/pushing on the handle. The whole main gear/handle/shaft has what I would call excess lateral movement.   Where would I shim?  And what is the part # for the shim?

Second...in the pics below...is part #134B - Gear Spacer....facing the right way?  with the ridge towards the bearing?  or should it be reversed?

The reel was also missing part#134BB - Spacer as well as the 161A - lever click tongue.

Lunker Larry

Check your pinion. When the edges get worn where it engages the spool the spool will slip out of the pinion a half rotation and then re-engage.
Don't have a Penn pinion but here's a 400 Lexa and some Okuma pinions showing how bad the wear can be. The Centre in the Okuma pinions is supposed to be framed by two straight endges.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Marlinmate

Thanks Lunker....the pinion on this reel is attached to the shaft.  And look really good.    I'm going to try a shim here or there and see what happens.

Wish some of the Penn experts would chime in.

alantani

the 12 pins need to match up with the 12 holes.  there is likely not enough spring pressure holding them together.  make sure the gears are properly shimmed.  for one reel, i had to change out the gear shift key (key #128) and both shift springs, heavy and light (key #18H and 18L) to fix the problem.  i was dealing with a 70 international.  worked great afterwards!

http://www.scottsbt.com/catalog/store/images/pennparts/schematics/80vsw.pdf
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Marlinmate

alantani

Marlinmate

Here is my analysis.

When I got the reel, the owner said the reel "jumps" when under load and reeling in.    I could get it to replicate when I held the spool...and shifted into low/high gear.  The first few turns of the handle would be like the gears didn't engage. Then they would snap into place.    Also..there was lots of lateral movement in the handle.  Owner said he took it apart on a moving boat for whatever reason and it was clear that some parts were lost during the process (the click button on the drag lever, a gear spacer ).

I took it all apart. down to the shift springs - 18L/18H and started the rebuild process.  Everything lined up perfectly as it was going back together. I got to part# 82A - Teflon Spacer and noticed it was all chewed up.  Probably from popping in and out of gear.  I smoothed it out and got everything to seat correctly.

Got to where 134d - Bushing goes and when I took it apart, this piece was on the outside of part #124 - Bridge Cover.   This allowed the handle to have the lateral movement in it which is bad.   Once I figured out that the bushing resides under the bridge cover...everything made sense.  Buttoned it up and that took the play out of it.

alantani

Marlinmate

BAD NEWS -  reel is still jumping.

NOt sure what to do other than start throwing parts at it.   replace some springs and see what happens.

alantani

look carefully at the main gear cluster.  either gear or both is traveling too far or not enough.  i realize that sounds decidedly unhelpful, but the answer is there somewhere.   :-[

Marlinmate

So I sent Alan a video of the reel in action and "jumping" gears.    We dissected the parts that make this happen so I ordered up some replacements.

Replaced the high and low gears which showed signs of wear. There was a groove where the gear shift key had gouged into it. The gear shift key  had rounded corners from the wear against the H & L gears.

New shift springs and washers and should be good to go

Fingers Crossed

alantani

this, the makaira 20, and the talica 25's all have this problem.