Cardiff 300A problem

Started by Get A Reel Life, December 22, 2011, 07:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Get A Reel Life

Hi all,

I've had this Cardiff 300A for a few years now and have always maintained it myself without any problems.  I just regreased the gears of my reel and now the gears feel as if they're binding (not sure if that's the right term).  I took it apart again to see what the problem could be but I can't spot anything.

As you turn the handle, when your hand gets to the bottom of the turn, it feels like the gears get stuck a little, then when I turn the handle a little further past that point the gears become more free.  This is the only spot where it feels like that - at the bottom of the turn.  The reel has turned smoothly until now and I can't figure out what's causing this.  It's interesting to note that when I put the reel into freespool then put it back into gear, sometimes the problem goes away.  It's hit and miss though.  I'll put it into freespool one time, turn the handle to put it into gear, the reel feels smooth.  I'll put it into freespool another time, put it into gear, then the binding problem is back.

My other Cardiff (older gold 300) is totally smooth and has never had the problem I just stated above so I have nothing to compare this to in order to help me out in solving this.

Hoping someone has fixed this problem before or knows what's causing this so I can get this reel working properly.

coastalobsession

Check the pinion gear and main gear and see if there are any teeth missing or if any are not normal
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

Nessie Hunter

The position of the problem would change if it was a gear chipped or damaged..

I would change out or at least clean & re OIL the anti reverse roller bearing, under the handle..

Cranking and having a slow or hard spot that stays in the same location almost has to be the roller Bearing or Bent main shaft???????
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Get A Reel Life

CoastalObsession:  I checked the gears and they seem fine. 

Nessie Hunter:  Maybe the anti-reverse roller bearing?  I didn't re-oil it because it looked pretty good.  I'll try that 1st but I think your last statement makes the most sense to me... bent main shaft.  I'll check for that as well although I have no idea how I could've bent it.

Will let everyone know what I find...

Get A Reel Life

Couldn't figure this out after fiddling with my reel for about an hour and a half.  I switched out the main and pinion gear with spare parts from an older Cardiff 300.  Checked the shaft to make sure it was straight and oiled the roller clutch bearing as suggested (thank you for the suggestions Nessie Hunter and Coastal Obsesssion).  The Problem persisted but...

I found it interesting that the problem would come and go when I played with the freespool so I wondered if the yoke wasn't returning back to its original position when the reel is put into gear.  I "stretched out" the yoke springs to give them more tension and put the reel back together.  After playing with the reel there was a notable difference in the performance of the gears.  They still stuck when the handle reached that same spot but it was definitetly not as bad.  Don't know if I'm going to figure this out completely but I definitely feel it has something to do with how the freespool engages and disengages.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd greatly appreciate it.

inhotpursuit

Get A Reel Life

Hi InHotPursuit,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I thought I put the yoke in correctly the 1st time and I double checked just now to make sure.  Yes, it's installed correctly.  I definitely agree that it's a pinion problem somewhere (although I have no idea where to look at this point).

When I push down on the clutch plate I can see the yoke raise up.  When I turn the main shaft to put it into gear, I can see the yoke settle back neatly to its original position.

inhotpursuit

did you replace the drag washers i have had reels bind up after putting new washers in only to find they were too thick,also you might want to try adding or subtracting bnt 1289 "drag washer spacer"

Nessie Hunter

OK, you have 1 slow or binding spot 'at same location' when turning handle.
Its hit & miss - some times ya feel like a nut, some time ya dont!! LOL (sorry)..

I would rule out Spool Shaft, Pinion, Yoke & springs etc...  
They turn at diff Ratio then Main Shaft/drive shaft...  
So would bind at several spots in the Handle turn..

The issue would almost have to be in the Drive shaft stack..  
(rule out Level wind also - same diff ratio of turn).

So lets put on the old thinking cap here......  
You have checked Drive shaft and it OK.. Lets move on then....
http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/techdocs/en/CDF300A_v1_m56577569830556009.pdf  

I would think its a Bearing/bushing problem, bad spot or piece of debris in one of them (hit & miss)...
So lets look at the Roller bearing .  It cold have weak spring, worn or debris in it, causing it to bind at will when turning handle..  
Replace it.....

There is also a bushing #3288 (looks like a bearing) above that toward handle.  
Replace that also..
These "bearing looking bushings" can fool you, they are tight and slightest thing can ruin them...

You can also try and clean these very well, and blow them out..  
Grease in these bushings and OIL in the roller (grease is to thick and will not allow it to work right, the rollers have to be able to move)
But roller bearings can be a real problem/undetectable if its bad and/or worn....  

Under Drive shaft System (shaft end and collar etc) could also be dirty, nicked, dry or bad..

If the drag stack was/is to thick with new washers etc. the handle would most likely bind all the time.....   You might try taking out one of the #2128 bearing washers - or both and see if it helps or stops the binding???  For peace of mind....

Keep us posted.....   Detective skills needed.. lol

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

inhotpursuit

i concur with Nessie Hunter removal of 2128 is better than 1289 to check for binding also read this tutorial on a  cardiff 200 which is very similar,the drive shaft bushing can be replaced with a bearing that i can send you free just need your address
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=896.0

Get A Reel Life

Hi all,

I hope that everyone had a great Christmas.

InHotPursuit:  Yes, I did change out the drags but that was last year and the reel had been working fine since then.  I also own the original Cardiff 300 and it's funny you mentioned the tutorial because I originally saw that tutorial on bloodydecks a few years back.  That was the tutorial that made me want to maintain my own reels.  Thank you for offering to send me the part I need but I have a spare parts Cardiff 300 and I think the parts are the same size as the 300A.

Nessie Hunter:  Detective work on this thing has definitely been driving me nuts LOL.

OK, played around with removing 1, then 2, then all 3 of part #2128.  When I removed all 3 of #2128 I thought the problem had been solved because the reel turned smoothly.  Then when I tightened the drag down and put my thumb on the spool to test the drag, the problem came back.  Here's something interesting:  when I hold the spool still and turn the handle about an eight of a turn, I can notice changes every time I do that.  It'll be rough several times, then super smooth one time (and always in the same place).  Does this spark any ideas, maybe confirm that it's the roller bearing?

I was trying to replace the roller clutch bearing (#2949) but I couldn't figure out how this part comes out.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

inhotpursuit

it should just pop out using your thumb, it sounds like its rusted in, if thats the case then it could be your problem, to get out a rusted roller clutch bearing use lots of penetrating fluid and let sit overnight, then remove the driveshaft holder bushing and using a 10 mil socket lightly tap out the clutch bearing through the inside of the side plate.

the part i offered is not stock it is a bearng to replace the plastic drive shaft bushing, i only needed 2 but had to buy a pack of 10

Nessie Hunter

Some of the uneven feel can easily be the drag washers, they will level off after a few drag runs on fish..  Slight imperfections in Washers & plates. 

THe other/original problem will most likely be the Roller Bearing...   They are odd creatures and are very hard to diagnose...   

Use the above tap out method by "inhotpursuit" to remove, (Some just fall out, other are tighter).

Being that tight would/might indicate some rust & deposits.  Epic Fail & not visible...
Dont forget there is a Bushing that looks like a bearing there also (above the roller). 
If one is toast with a rough spot, the other is most likely the same....
Water intrusion at handle is pretty common, we all hose off our reels then let then sit for long periods....

WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

sorry about being so late to this discussion, but the best thing is to start switching over one part at a time until the problem "moves" to the other reel.   it sounds like the problem is along the drive shaft because it happens once every 360 degrees.  it could be anywhere from the ratched gear under the main gear to the star below the handle.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Get A Reel Life

Hi all,

Sorry that I haven't posted any replies for weeks now.  My computer had been down for about a month (broken laptop screen) but I wanted to thank everyone once I was able to get online again.  Much thanks to everyone who posted info.  You've all been a tremendous help. 

FYI... The problem was the roller bearing.  Part's been replaced and reel is working fine.

Alan, thanks for having this great website.

I wish everyone a great outing on their next fishing trip.