440N Repairable?

Started by Beachmaster, October 24, 2020, 04:28:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beachmaster

Picked up this 440N for $10. Couldn't pass it up even if all I could get out of this is the parts.  The foot is broken. Pretty good chunk missing. Is there anyway to repair the foot?

oc1

It is cast metal so I doubt you can make it look like factory.  You might be able to attach a full-length curved plate to the remains of the foot.  Cut a piece out of a 3/4" aluminum or brass tube then drill and tap for screws.  I think you would be better off figuring out how to live with it.  There enough of a nub on the front to work with.  Lash it to the rod with nylon line or tape or find hose clamps to fit.
-steve

foakes

A new or used frame is the right way to fix it.

You have a $10 reel that is easily worth 7 or 8 times that much with a complete frame.

Or you have a $10 reel that will catch fish — and always be a $10 reel.

Just my opinion.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Beachmaster on October 24, 2020, 04:28:21 AM
Picked up this 440N for $10. Couldn't pass it up even if all I could get out of this is the parts.  The foot is broken. Pretty good chunk missing. Is there anyway to repair the foot?

Is there anyway to repair the foot?

If it was the last one in the world .......
Yes !
AFFORDABLE
NOPE
If you had the missing piece there are alternatives to mending it but at this point as suggested you should just get a new frame or use a screw type adjustable Hose Clamp on that end to hold it to a Rod.
Or IF you have a Really Good TIG set up and 5 hours or more to blow give it a try .
All in All you still have a deal at 10 bux !
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Gfish

If everything else is ok, you have eaisly $20+ worth of parts. I'm enamored of the quality in the DAM reels. Please let us know how this'un comes out. If there are more cheap ones out there with this kinda issue, I'm game.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bill B

The repair is possible, but as Fred stated, you have a $10 reel.  New/used body and you have a solid reel.  I would ask around to find a body...Whatever you pay for the body will be less than the reel as a whole...JMO. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

philaroman

build a rod w/ reel perma-mounted -- no seat
2-pc. or 3-pc. w/ no guides on butt section,
so it's easy to rebuild if it fails, or you don't like it

Beachmaster

Tried it out on a rod and it tightens down just fine with no issues. Time to clean it up and rebuild and take it fishing.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Beachmaster on October 25, 2020, 12:20:45 AM
Tried it out on a rod and it tightens down just fine with no issues. Time to clean it up and rebuild and take it fishing.

The 440s were designed for medium to large fish. If you hook into a biggun you may quickly learn what impact the torque has on that shortened front foot and reel, even though the reel seat clamps down fine. Reel feet are designed equally, or longer in front of the stem, for a reason, the torque and/or pressure balance transferred from fish, to the rod and then to the reel seat and foot. It probably won't make much difference on smaller size fish, though.    

If was going to fish a broken foot I would rather have it be the rear portion. Fronts get broken for a reason.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

theswimmer

That's a great reel , worth digging up a frame .
I use one in the Big Pond all the time .
Best,
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn