Buying a used rod: signs of trouble?

Started by JasonGotaProblem, October 29, 2020, 11:50:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

I have gotten 3 used vintage faberglass saltwater rods and 1 antique bamboo,,,,, :-\ 2 at bait&tackle stores 2on pbay and I tested them real good,,,, :o no problems and if they where going to break I would of laugh about it,,,,, :D because I really don't have that much money in them,,,, :) but when a high dollar or custom rod breaks,,,,,, ??? It's not funny,,, :-[ in the pictures a $75dollar rod with oxidized bigfoot rollers still works great,,,,,,,,,,, ;D

Cuttyhunker

Check the reel seat for splits and cracks in both "foot holders" as well as the tightening wheel nut especially if it's plastic like the new Chinese wonders.  Have found split metal nuts too.  Plastic threads, and sometimes metal, on the seat may be stripped, move the nut around to take a look.
Doomed from childhood

philaroman

good point: got a beautiful home-made w/ walnut(?) trigger seat
when I tightened the nut to put the reel on, a hitherto unknown crack appeared
good thing I only paid $20 -- still worth it

Cuttyhunker

I've repaired some of the nuts and split reel seats by tightly wrapping over the outside with light twine, not unlike a wrap for a guide then sealing with poly, clear nail polish or epoxy.  The photo is a repair of a split  "cone" under a spinning reel handle. Starting with a clove hitch and continuing adding hitches until the length
of the crack is drawn together and covered has also worked for me.  
Doomed from childhood