Sandiago vs palomar test

Started by gstours, October 29, 2020, 02:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

As ive had some questions concerning mono connections it seemed proper to actually do some bench testing when time did permit.
its generally a Palomar knot for me with 20-60#mono to a swivel.   After using some 80 and 100# leaders Ive had even more questions.
  So I switched back to the Sandiago jam 6 turn and while it was a little easier to tie with the heavier line the knots (both) would fail at approx 50-65% of the mono test rating.   Is this normal?  All knots would break at the knot and not in between the two connectors. (swivels)
  I ran across this fancy line tensioner and would love to have one,  butt for now I use a baggage spring scale that records the max pull.

Knots are kinda a personal thing with people like gun calibers and i dont know if anybody else tests their knots and how.   Just wondering.
      The above testing seemed to say the line rating is what the line should break at Right? ???
  Another claim was made by this later knot tyer and his never break.   Thats what I want. :-X

All comments welcome here :)

Swami805

How do you lubricant the knot when sinching it down?  Both knots should be about 90% knots
Do what you can with that you have where you are

happyhooker

I do not often use mono over about 25 lb. test, but I'm thinking that you'd find it tough to tie the Double San Diego with 6 turns on heavy mono and have it be a decent knot.  With lighter lines, I've always had good luck with the Palomar, or with a Uniknot where the line is run thru the hookeye/swivel eye twice before finishing the knot.  Those two have been tested out at 90% or better.

Frank

gstours

Today was another test morning for the sandiago jam.   It's tied on new yozuri flour. With a double turn thru the eye..... here is couple of test pull results.
  I expected better numbers butt it is what it is......
It's far below the line strength advertised.   yes the line was lubed with fresh coffee spit. 😏

jurelometer

MarkT

What size line? I generally use 5 turns on my San Diego knots, never more.
I'd have cut off and retied if it came out looking like yours!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

happyhooker

I was under the impression that, the thicker the line, the more difficult it becomes to make more and more turns around the standing part of the line in making a knot.  You just can't pull the knot tight.

Frank

gstours

I,m back.  I did lube before tightening with Folgers regular roasting spit.   I did not mention the testing line is 80# yo Zuri flouro.  I will post another 6 turn test soon.
   As for the bad looking knot,  I,m in to improving the performance.   Give me some pointers.🤔
       Thanks for any pointers.👍

philaroman

Quote from: happyhooker on October 30, 2020, 02:14:17 PM
I was under the impression that, the thicker the line, the more difficult it becomes to make more and more turns around the standing part of the line in making a knot.  You just can't pull the knot tight.

Frank

ditto...  why 6 turns? 
if 5 turns is "generic" & you go heavier/stiffer
you DECREASE turns, ESPECIALLY for doubled line
try 4 turns, or even 3

MarkT

5 turn San Diego in 135# Izor

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Keta

Quote from: MarkT on October 30, 2020, 02:04:45 AM

I'd have cut off and retied if it came out looking like yours!

X2, something is not right with the knot in the photo.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

Though the double SD knot does test somewhat better than the single SD in knot competitions like at the Fred Hall Show, I only use the single SD knot. I was shown this knot when I was 16yo on my first LR trip and still use it today. I never felt I needed a stronger knot as it has worked fine for me for almost 40 years.

For me on lighter lines like 15-30 lb test I use 7 turns, 40-60 lb 6 turns. On some 60 lb test I may even drop down to 5 turns.

I agree that knot in the pic does not look right, and like stated If I had a knot that looked like that I would cut it off and retie.

I don't have a line testing machine but have tested lighter lines sort of like your doing to the failure point with the single SD and I'm seeing breakage at close to or a bit over the lines rating. The line I use id Izor's XXX which is a co-polymer and breaks closer to its line rating than many other mono lines.

Swami805

To tie a double SD knot in heavy line 5 turns and anchor the hook or whatever to something solid. Sinch it down and watch it tighten, it should just slide down pretty easy.  Floro is pretty stiff though, might be better off crimping
Do what you can with that you have where you are

gstours

Spacificly if the knot is reliable that's what I want,  I can go up line sizes to mabee insure success.
  The knot shown here is a 6 turn sandiago with two wraps thru the eye and 3 more back down and three he finger held loop.

gstours

I agree it's a bulky knot,  easier than palomar for me.  Maybe just go back to a 5 turn single thru the eye sandiago?   More on this soon.