Another Everol !

Started by 54bullseye, November 02, 2020, 09:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

54bullseye

I know these aren't really that collectable and not rare and not that old but I really like them !! This is a 14/0 "The Best" series from Everol. One thing different about this reel you will notice is rather than the usual wire set up used to control max drag this has a track I will call it and you can adjust knobs for max drag as well as how much if any free spool you have. I have seen a few like it not many though. I think maybe 1980s ?  Maybe Rob could chime in on dating it. I have looked on internet but haven't found much on them.

Took it completely apart yesterday and cleaned it then re lubed it put her all back together along with greasing up all screws and everything else !! Drags appear about new and are very smooth and STRONG ! Any body else have any of this series Everol ???   Enjoy !     John Taylor

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

handi2

Yep it's a beautiful beast. Did it have the stock drag system?
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

54bullseye

Quote from: handi2 on November 02, 2020, 10:56:11 PM
Yep it's a beautiful beast. Did it have the stock drag system?
Yes I would say stock drag not Carbontex. Very well made and easy to work on.

Maxed Out

Lol, it should be "the beast" instead of the best

150# max drag is insane, but I love it !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Crow

Nice !   What would that reel have sold for, when new ?
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

54bullseye

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 03, 2020, 04:32:05 PM
That is a Nice one John! :o

You got any paper work on the older reels that would help date it Darron ? Somewhere I have seen the whole series but I can't seem to find it again.   John Taylor

redsetta

Everol mention on their site that the black drag scale was 1960s (to 1972), followed by red in the 1970s.
Their 'Cairns' special was blue and dates to the 1980s - if that's of any assistance.
These days, the green scales are their two-speed options and the blue are their traditional 'Special' range.
Look forward to hearing more.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Robert Janssen

Oh, nice! Really nice score there, John.

Accurately dating Everol reels is often a slightly tricky business. Some reels were produced for a very long time with little change, while others came and went, but not neccesarily in accordance with any particular model year. Catalogs weren't
issued yearly either, so using them is not entirely accurate. Same goes for the sideplate scales-- they may be an indicator, but not always a certainty. I did notice that the reel pictured above uses the more recent type of handle arm of flat polished stainless steel with Everol engraved in black, as opppsed to an earlier type of much thicker, squarish cast stainless steel with the Everol logo in relief. So i would guess it to be newer rather than older, within a window of ten years this way or that.

I just looked at some older price lists from Everol HQ from1996 and '97, and The Best series were listed then, at a price roughly 20% more than the Special Series, or a little bit less than the Two-Speeds. I also noticed that the U.S. importer was still listing them in the early 2000s, but that doen't mean that they were still actually being sold then. Of course i must have asked HQ at some point, but no longer recall what the answer may have been.

Technically speaking, they were similar, except for the 6/0, which featured an extra drag disc, and may have been a tad wider. Some of them also had an olive wood handle knob.

Hope that helps,
Rob

54bullseye

Quote from: Robert Janssen on November 04, 2020, 04:56:05 PM
Oh, nice! Really nice score there, John.

Accurately dating Everol reels is often a slightly tricky business. Some reels were produced for a very long time with little change, while others came and went, but not neccesarily in accordance with any particular model year. Catalogs weren't
issued yearly either, so using them is not entirely accurate. Same goes for the sideplate scales-- they may be an indicator, but not always a certainty. I did notice that the reel pictured above uses the more recent type of handle arm of flat polished stainless steel with Everol engraved in black, as opppsed to an earlier type of much thicker, squarish cast stainless steel with the Everol logo in relief. So i would guess it to be newer rather than older, within a window of ten years this way or that.

I just looked at some older price lists from Everol HQ from1996 and '97, and The Best series were listed then, at a price roughly 20% more than the Special Series, or a little bit less than the Two-Speeds. I also noticed that the U.S. importer was still listing them in the early 2000s, but that doen't mean that they were still actually being sold then. Of course i must have asked HQ at some point, but no longer recall what the answer may have been.

Technically speaking, they were similar, except for the 6/0, which featured an extra drag disc, and may have been a tad wider. Some of them also had an olive wood handle knob.

Hope that helps,
Rob

Thanks for the info !  Do you know where I might fid some older Everol Catalogs ?? I haven't seen any on eBay and would like to buy a few.  Thanks
John Taylor

54bullseye

Quote from: redsetta on November 03, 2020, 09:12:57 PM
Everol mention on their site that the black drag scale was 1960s (to 1972), followed by red in the 1970s.
Their 'Cairns' special was blue and dates to the 1980s - if that's of any assistance.
These days, the green scales are their two-speed options and the blue are their traditional 'Special' range.
Look forward to hearing more.
Cheers, Justin
Justin:  I have one of the really early made Everol's with multicolored drag scale then a bunch of the black scale including a couple of cradles. I also have a few of the red scale and one 12/0 Cairns model. Then I have a few of the all RED models and a couple RED Garcia's made by Everol but I have only see a couple of " The Best" series. Rob says a later series so I guess probably 1990s ?  Thanks for your response !! Do you have a lot of Everol Reels and if so which ones ?   John Taylor

54bullseye

Quote from: Maxed Out on November 03, 2020, 01:39:29 AM
Lol, it should be "the beast" instead of the best

150# max drag is insane, but I love it !!
Thanks Ted !!! How are things up in the North West corner ??

54bullseye

Quote from: Crow on November 03, 2020, 02:33:56 AM
Nice !   What would that reel have sold for, when new ?
No idea on cost when new ? I would like to find some catalogs. Rob said it was 20% more than the Special series but that's all I know.  John Taylor