Here we go again (750SS build/shine job)

Started by JasonGotaProblem, November 06, 2020, 06:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

This old 750SS was a Random CL find. Pretty rough shape. What the heck kind of grease is that? It's a mess. Also I've never seen the torpedo handle. That'll have to go. Abd why is there a screw in the main gear? It does have the desirable main gear though so that's nice. And is it normal that the decals aren't raised like the others I've seen? This seems like an early model. I'm gonna polish this one up like the last. Except now I know what I'm doing so hopefully it'll be a bit quicker.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

thorhammer

What kind of grease? old, is what it is. That's an early one looking at the squared handle end, and that screw in the gear may or may not be stock. I've never seen one. Some of the first production of these, at least in the small series, had chrome handles. I'd guess that one dates late 80's- early 90's. I got my first ones new in 95 and the stem ends of the handle blade were flush, still with torpedo handle. Outside some paint loss, that one looks pretty stout to be 30 years old.

John

thrasher

Everything looks normal to me except the screw in the gear, if I remember correctly I got a new pair of 550ss's back in the mid 80's. Solid reels as you already know, shine that baby up and post pics  ;D

wfjord

Looks identical to this one I bought new on June 1, 1985.  Did a full service breakdown & photos a couple years ago.

El Pescador

And here is my 750SS I found FOR FREE attached to a Fenwick rod sticking out of the donation bin at Goodwill on year right after Christmas.

I had made my 3rd run to drop off BOXES of items we no longer wanted, I asked the guy IF I could grab the rod, since I'm a Fenwick guy.  There was a reel attached, BUTT I was more interested in the Brown Fenwick rod, at the time.

Back then, I knew NOTHING about Penn reels.

Here is it as I found it.

And here is the BAD BOY custom-worked on by Sal!!!!  I'm still looking for a 140 lbs. Tarpon to give it a work out!!!!

Thank you Sal, I miss you so much!!!!!

I'm now a PENN GUY :o

Wayne

And I just checked, NO screw on the opposite side of the handle.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

handi2

The first run of these reels has just what your reel has. Internally that's just dried up grease and rust?

The handle and screw are correct. I do not know the purpose of the main gear screw. They work the same with or without the screw.

The one I have does have the chromed handle. The threads inside the main gear will not accept the newer handles pivot pin. You can rig a newer style handle by changing the pivot pin and other parts.

Keith

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: handi2 on November 06, 2020, 05:46:25 PM
The first run of these reels has just what your reel has. Internally that's just dried up grease and rust?

The handle and screw are correct. I do not know the purpose of the main gear screw. They work the same with or without the screw.

The one I have does have the chromed handle. The threads inside the main gear will not accept the newer handles pivot pin. You can rig a newer style handle by changing the pivot pin and other parts.

Keith

Yes I've qctually discovered this. When building the previous one I got an 8-750 main gear and pinion set to use but found it would not work. It's likely I'll steal the pivot from this for another handle. Is that thing that looks like a skinny flathead screw holding it in place actually a screw? I've been surprised before.

wfjord

Maybe that screw is just an added measure to keep out water & grit, and keep the bearing in... in case you happen to lose the aluminum cap.

JasonGotaProblem

Day 2, roughly 4 hours into this. This took about 20 hours to get to this spot on round 1.

There's so much pitting! I'm gonna spend some time to get this right. Not as long as last time though.

JasonGotaProblem

Day 3, we already got a reflection, but I want more. I could see taking orders. Once you work out the routine its not so bad. And I bet i can buy sandpaper bulk. I certainly go thru enough of it.

oc1

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: oc1 on November 10, 2020, 07:51:02 PM
It's time to drill the rotor  :)
-s
See the problem with my lack of experience is I'm not sure what that means, so I don't know if that was wise advice or a joke i didn't catch. Or some combination of the two.

thorhammer

both, lol. folks for years have polished and drilled out Z series; Nick, can you post a pic of yours?

Swami805

I have a beat up 550, paint's bubbling in places, Hmmmm? Could be something to pass the time while watching TV.
Drilling the rotor is just like it sounds, Drilling hole in it to reduce weight
Do what you can with that you have where you are

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Swami805 on November 10, 2020, 08:29:33 PM
I have a beat up 550, paint's bubbling in places, Hmmmm? Could be something to pass the time while watching TV.
Drilling the rotor is just like it sounds, Drilling hole in it to reduce weight
If you mean 550SS I believe those are all graphite. But it definitely passes the time. Last night I went out to work on it for what I told myself would be a half hour. Next thing i knew it was 2am. Who needs sleep anyway?