2020 Excel Merritt 10 day

Started by MarkT, November 15, 2020, 12:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

No BFT for me but I didn't try all that hard. I did get 9 YT between 22 and 38#, an 86.2 gulf grouper and 3 Wahoo between 29 and 34# and a Dorado.
It was my windiest, roughest 10 day but the fish were fairly willing. Plenty of YT at the rocks in the dark. I could've had an easy limit but over 250# of YT was more than enough. All Wahoo were on bombs and I was high stick on them!

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Hamachi

Way to go Mark! Grouper is the best fish out there!
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

MarkT

I totally agree but don't tell the Wahoo that I said that.

When we got to the spot on the Ridge that the Capt said was a good spot for Grouper everyone dropped down with a Mac on a dropper loop. I flylined a Sardine, caught a small YT, trimmed its tail and sent it out without weight and got the big one... again!

Benni3

That's a big grouper,,,, ;) great job man,,,,,, ;D

sabaman1

Nice job Mark! Sounds like you had a good time. Thanks for sharing your adventure!
JIM

Swami805

Nice grouper, sounds like a fun trip
Do what you can with that you have where you are

scrinch

Big bait = Big fish 🐠! Good job, Mark. Sounds like a rough but fun trip.

Donnyboat

Thanks for posting mark & nice picture of the grouper, nice fish alright, you will get some good fillets out of that, cheers Don
Don, or donnyboat

oc1

Quote from: MarkT on November 15, 2020, 12:40:16 AM
caught a small YT, trimmed its tail and sent it out without weight and got the big one
Wow; that's tricky.  Never heard of trimming the tail.  Good going with it all.
-steve

MarkT

Quote from: oc1 on November 15, 2020, 05:07:18 AM
Quote from: MarkT on November 15, 2020, 12:40:16 AM
caught a small YT, trimmed its tail and sent it out without weight and got the big one
Wow; that's tricky.  Never heard of trimming the tail.  Good going with it all.
-steve
You want it to flutter but not swim super strong so you cut off the tail flutes. No sinker but it sinks slowly towards the bottom looking vulnerable, and tasty! Bait can be a Skipjack, small YFT or small YT.

This is the hook, a 20/0 circle and a 6/0 J that goes into the bait by the dorsal fin. The circle isn't hooked into the bait.

Hardy Boy

We should try that at Cedros for some of the big grouper there................... good idea. Nice fish.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

IcantSwim

Nice grouper! The excel is by far the nicest boat I have ever been on. Can't wait til jump on her again.

Gfish

Alright! The guy that think/fishes outta the box scores!
Where'id that method come from?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

steelfish

Quote from: Gfish on November 17, 2020, 09:46:04 PM
Where'id that method come from?

I dont know if some guys are using it somewhere else, but thats kind of normal technique for fishing big groupers with the panga captains here in Baja, small YT with the tips of tail fins cut on freelining.

BTW great catch Mark
The Baja Guy

Swami805

Man bait, works good at times on big tuna too.
Do what you can with that you have where you are