Potentially my craziest idea yet (cork power knob)

Started by JasonGotaProblem, November 18, 2020, 05:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Ok so here's a fun one. Having lots of hand and wrist injuries from a lifetime in martial Arts, I've become a huge fan of the round "power knob" type handles for reels, and i have them on 5 reels and counting, so far all metal ones that match the reel's color. But in the name of comfort I was looking at one of the EVA grip ones and started thinking about how i strongly prefer cork to EVA for rod grips. So what about a cork power knob? From my limited googling, some exist but it seems few are spherical, and of the ones I can find, all are listed as out of stock, and all seem to be of the (IMO) less desirable "burl cork" variety. And surprisingly expensive compared to the metal ones.

So what if I make my own?

I'd start with one of the cheaper and narrower ones without regard for color, and the top from a patron tequila bottle, drill out the cork as precisely as possible, and glue in the necessary parts from the purchased knob.

As with many of my ideas that seem brilliant to me, there's likely something I'm overlooking that would actually make this a dumb idea. So what am I missing?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

philaroman

why don't you just make a cork glove  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

EDIT:
seriously, consider the Belgian Monk Ales -- dense cork, beefy base/stem
(albeit, small "sphere" w/ wire dents...  maybe, chubby torpedo?)

Dominick

Jason, go online to ebay or amazon and purchase bulk cork.  Glue it into a block then shape yourself a handle.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Benni3

Cork is great,,,,, :D on a fishing trip the cork grip broke and had to wrap it with leather shoe lace and gorilla glue,,,,, ??? Not pretty,,,, :o but it just feels right,,,,, ;) a power handle like this,,,,,,, ;D

philaroman

thorhammer

Quote from: philaroman on November 19, 2020, 03:15:43 AM
Ugly gonna sue you :o

that's hilarious, I'm using it! the joke, not the wrap :)

I have cord and GG both in my travel repair kit- you can make a lot happen with them and electrical tape.

Actually, when I do a cord wrap I use a bead of GG, and it works well for reel seats also as it expands into voids for more surface area contact. I saw guys using it to secure toe rails on boats on large boats, so I was sold at that point.

Good call on the bottle corks for knobs- that sounds like something Mo would show us on a spinner.

mo65

Is this what you're talking about? I've used a few of these knobs and they seem to be pretty sturdy...no problems yet. 8)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fishing-Knob-Handle-Baitcasting-Power-Knob-Fishing-Reel-Handles-Replacement-/233249307435?hash=item364ebdfb2b
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: mo65 on November 19, 2020, 03:09:25 PM
   Is this what you're talking about? I've used a few of these knobs and they seem to be pretty sturdy...no problems yet. 8)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fishing-Knob-Handle-Baitcasting-Power-Knob-Fishing-Reel-Handles-Replacement-/233249307435?hash=item364ebdfb2b
Yeah I saw those. I was hesitant about the "burl cork" but that one is very reasonably priced. Does it come apart or is it still fitment only? What I'm wondering is will it work on my shimano 27.5mm handle shaft or would I need to drill?

philaroman

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: philaroman on November 19, 2020, 06:52:22 PM
which shimano reel?

My Spheros 4000XGSW (my personal favorite in my collection)

I know or at least believe this to be the shaft length because that's what the one currently in place says its meant for (currently rocking one of the 'gomexus' balls and generally liking it)

philaroman

nope, can't help w/ 4000 -- need more direct-drive stuff, myself
have extra 6000 handles -- thought that would be your ballpark, judging by your Penn's

jurelometer

Burl cork and cork composites are much more durable than natural cork,but a bit less grippy and a bit harder.   I like using it for rods where I used to use cork.    The stuff wears like iron, and won't  get destroyed by rod holders, etc.  The stuff turns and sands well, and you don't get any surprise voids as you shape it.

There is also a cork composite with some rubber chunks.  More grippy and squishy, and a bit heavier.  I haven't tried turning it.

Plus high quality natural cork is getting hard to find and expensive now.

This is a good idea.   I was trying to find some extra hard EVA foam to make oversized knobs for the fly reels that I use for tuna.   I think I will use  cork burl instead.

-J

JasonGotaProblem

CooldadE

I wonder if you could stabilize the cork knob like they do wood ? Would add weight though. But it would be hecka durable...

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

oc1

Quote from: CooldadE on November 20, 2020, 12:50:48 AM
I wonder if you could stabilize the cork knob like they do wood ?
Cool
Cactus Juice is readily available in small volumes.
-steve