Yet another grease - Which grease for Brake Caliper Ears

Started by Gobi King, November 21, 2020, 01:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

Last time it happened, I found out from Steve (owner's Son, dad passed since then), that they do not have insurance, ouch.
Hence the go fund me idea, There was a public spot on the island but the sand from Katrina made it useless, no water near it now.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Brewcrafter

Shibly - You can always go to the medicine cabinet and grab a bottle of Maalox.  Trick my Dad showed me oh-so many years ago and was our standard practice on exhaust manifolds...works just fine as a thread antiseize in a pinch... - john

Crow

I'll try to get some pix of the "local" piers, Shibs.....Ceder Point "just' got fully open, last March, and now....back to square one ! The public pier by the Fort is "gone" , as well....and the pier you referenced (the "bridge to nowhere !), as far as I can find out, suffered no damage , of any kind...and hasn't, since Katrina left it "land locked'  Go Figure !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Gobi King

brew, I might just need to take some maalox, as this brake job is giving me ulcers.

I had my tools all lined up and impacted off the lugs, and no go, the tire is STUCK to the brake rotor, the nice guys at the dealership did NOT put any anti seize on the mating surface.
I gave it a go with a 5lb rubber mallet, no dice.

arrrrgh, I buttoned up the tire and called the dealer for an appt to rotate the tires, let them figure this one out.

on a bright note, the dewalt impact made quick work of the lugs which were torqued to 94 ft lbs.

Crow, please do, it is heart wrenching to see the devastation caused by the water.  Maybe some of the locals and root for them and get some sort of funding going.

Fichigan

oc1

When that happened to us we used a 12 ft 4x4 as a battering ram, slamming it forward from the other side and rotating the tire between each hit.
-steve

Bryan Young

Awe man. I hate when that happens. One cheaper alternative is to take it somewhere to have your tires rotated and watch them do it. It becomes their problem to solve.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Gobi King

Quote from: oc1 on December 01, 2020, 04:26:54 AM
When that happened to us we used a 12 ft 4x4 as a battering ram, slamming it forward from the other side and rotating the tire between each hit.
-steve

Lol, I tried to mimic that with a 5lb mallet, I have a 15lb sledge but with my luck I will probably kill the rim on the first hit

x2 on what you said Bryan, I have an appt for tire rotation.
Fichigan

Crow

Here's a few pix of Cedar Point , Shibs !  I'll get a few, from the bridge, later....it was "too cold , and windy" to walk out, and take them, today :D, .....
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Gobi King

Thanks for taking the pics, the floor boards are nearly all gone.
With lumber being 250% more now, that is going to be expensive for them.

Fichigan

oc1

They are building some piers (e.g. Bob Hall) with floating concrete panels as decking.   I guess the panels are either hollow or foam filled. The decking panels rest on concrete pilings.  The storm breaks the decking panels loose and they float away washing up on the beach.  With the decking no longer pulling at the pilings, the pilings will survive.  After the storm, they pick the decking panels up off the beach and put them back in place.
-steve

Benni3

Quote from: oc1 on November 27, 2020, 07:57:49 PM
Quote from: Gobi King on November 27, 2020, 02:24:15 PM
Crow, that very unfortunate for Ceder Point, I wonder if the local fishermen will start a gofundme for them,
They were decimated few years back, I am afraid at this rate they just might go under.
You have to wonder if privately owned piers are a thing of the past.  The state or county can afford to rebuild after every storm (albeit they take forever).  I doubt that a private company could afford either insurance or rebuilding these days.  Since the pier has been through the permitting process or is grandfathered they could try to give it to the government in exchange for being able to operate it as a concession.  Fishing piers are for the public good and always have a lot of public support.
-steve
Avalon pier in kill devil hills nc has been knocked down so many times it's now 3times smaller and 12years ago a ghost ship came off the bottom and crashed in to it,,,,hehe now that's bad luck,,,,,, ;D

Gobi King

Quote from: oc1 on December 07, 2020, 08:12:29 PM
They are building some piers (e.g. Bob Hall) with floating concrete panels as decking.   I guess the panels are either hollow or foam filled. The decking panels rest on concrete pilings.  The storm breaks the decking panels loose and they float away washing up on the beach.  With the decking no longer pulling at the pilings, the pilings will survive.  After the storm, they pick the decking panels up off the beach and put them back in place.
-steve

Ceder point is a small  operations, I doubt they have the $$$ for sinking that kinda investment.

I was trying to map where the floating planks would end for for Cedar point, if they had those, I think the planks would flush out of Mobile bay and go west with the current and be somewhere in LA?  :o
Fichigan

Gobi King

Quote from: Benni3 on December 08, 2020, 12:25:46 AM
Quote from: oc1 on November 27, 2020, 07:57:49 PM
Quote from: Gobi King on November 27, 2020, 02:24:15 PM
Crow, that very unfortunate for Ceder Point, I wonder if the local fishermen will start a gofundme for them,
They were decimated few years back, I am afraid at this rate they just might go under.
You have to wonder if privately owned piers are a thing of the past.  The state or county can afford to rebuild after every storm (albeit they take forever).  I doubt that a private company could afford either insurance or rebuilding these days.  Since the pier has been through the permitting process or is grandfathered they could try to give it to the government in exchange for being able to operate it as a concession.  Fishing piers are for the public good and always have a lot of public support.
-steve

lol, they needed to pay a shaman to ward of ghost ships,   ;D
Avalon pier in kill devil hills nc has been knocked down so many times it's now 3times smaller and 12years ago a ghost ship came off the bottom and crashed in to it,,,,hehe now that's bad luck,,,,,, ;D
Fichigan

Gobi King

Last night I had some free time and worked on the front brakes.

Pass Side - one Caliper slide was frozen, the pads ears were somewhat sticky.

I had new factory calipers in my stash so I just replaced the bracket from that.

I ground the ears down a bit on my concrete, I have to setup my grinder wheel and so this again later. I lubed the pad ears with silicon

Driver Side -

Both caliper slides moved but were bit sticky, I cleaned them and relubed them.
Inside caliper ears were quite stuck on the bottom,
I could not take off the bracket as the bottom bracket bolt was STUCK, I stop impacting it as I was scared the top of the bolt would shear off.
I sprayed some PB blaster and put the top bolt back in again.
grease the ears of the pads and called it a day.

Fichigan

Crow

Wanted to let you know, Shibs, that I saw a big stack of poles, and several lifts of planking stacked in Ceder points parking area, last Friday....looks like they will be starting the rebuilding, soon.