Regina Reel Made in Germany REVISITED

Started by sandbar, November 28, 2020, 07:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandbar

I originally posted about this reel back in early September. It was my second rebuild attempt and things weren't going well so I set it aside and picked it back up a couple days ago. The handle was held on by a wire that would not pull out, the spool was not serviceable and the paint was coming off when I tried to remove the gunk on the reel. I figured I'd better just come back to it later after I gained a little more experience.

I'm not sure how to tag each picture so I just posted some before and after shots. Everything went back together well with only two issues. The spring that operates the AR pin went missing between going into the lacquer thinner and coming out. I remembered reading a tip on this site that mentioned using a spring from a ball point pen as a substitute. I think it was Tommy. I got one and guessed at the proper length. It works fine but think it's an little stronger than the one that was in there. Also, I don't have a pin to hold the crank handle on. I inserted a toothpick temporarily just so I could check the operation of the reel. If anyone has any suggestions as to where to come up with a real pin please let me know.
Thanks for looking. I've now rebuilt 5 reels. Lots to learn but loving it so far.
-Steve

alantani

very nice post!  i have a few wrenches left.  if you will send a pm with your mailing address, i will put one in the mail to you.  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

sandbar

Thank You Alan.
I appreciate your encouragement.
I sent you a PM.

Crow

That cleaned up really good !  Great job !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Dominick

Steve, a couple of things.  Put a magnet in the container with the lacquer thinner, the spring might still be in the cloudy liquid.  Also you probably won't be able to replace the pin with an original, but your local hardware store should carry roll pins which should lock the part in place.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

sandbar

Midway Tommy

Well done, Steve! Dominick gave you a great tip on getting a roll pin from the hardware store.

I've been know to make pins out of the correct diameter SS wire or rods, or sometimes even out of galvanized nails. If you use wire or nails it is advisable to peen (mushroom) both ends a little bit so they don't fall out. They usually get me by until I can find the correct size roll pin.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

sandbar

Thank You Tommy.
Have a great New Year.
Better days are coming.

thorhammer

Nice work, be sure to post a follow up pic on the handle pin when you complete!

John

Gfish

Sandbar! Good job. I like the big pinion & main gears in that Regina. Do you or anyone else know the aproximate time of production?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Gfish on December 26, 2020, 11:40:44 PM
Sandbar! Good job. I like the big pinion & main gears in that Regina. Do you or anyone else know the aproximate time of production?

1956, made by E. Backhaus & Co, Remscheid, Germany. They came in black, gray & blue.  Blue is the hardest to find, especially in good shape.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)