Decision time. BG2500 vs SS700. Please help!

Started by JasonGotaProblem, November 29, 2020, 02:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I'm trying to decide between a daiwa BG2500 and a SS700. They both cost about the same new, and a strong argument could be made for either, but on different merits. I highly doubt I'm getting both for christmas, so I need to pick only one to put on the list. So I guess it's really which one do I want first? Please help!

To clarify, it would be used to chase snook, trout, redfish, inshore snapper etc around Florida, With the option of maybe doing some freshwater stuff with it.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: alantani on November 29, 2020, 02:52:10 AM
dude, the ss700 looks so "old" ......
I mean you're not wrong, it really does. They haven't changed the design much in 30 years. But that's actually sort of a selling point.

philaroman

if you want tiny 700-size -- too small for most S/W, IMO...   Daiwa agrees -- BG not available

if you want 2500-3500, more appropriate for inshore -- the only reason to get a Whisker,
is if you really want affordable worm oscillation -- better line-lay / casting distance
if other features are more important, BG is probably a better choice

RowdyW

I'd go for a BG 3500 as a better all-around reel.      Rudy

philaroman

P.S.,
what line?  I'm a huge fan of worm-O for braid (esp., skinny braid, casting for distance)
also adds a little distance for skinny mono, generally used w/ 700-size
as you get into bigger reel sizes, heavier mono, and presentations that don't require pristine line-lay,
the advantages diminish, until worm-O isn't worth the extra hassle (MANY more/smaller parts)

JasonGotaProblem

Honestly I'm just looking for more of a challenge. I think most the fish I encounter inshore can be brought in with much smaller tackle than I'm using. Knowing I can bring a cobia in on my 4000 makes bringing a 25" redfish in a bit less exciting. No less fun to eat, but less exciting. I can just turn up the drag and here we go.

The fact that to my knowledge the ss700 has the smallest worm drive system currently out there is sorta cool. I'm looking for good long casts, potentially from a shorter rod. But my BG4000 casts like a champ already, so I don't feel like the BG is necessarily settling for something weak when it comes to casting. Otherwise this would be an easier choice. Is the 700 really that tiny? 8 lbs of drag isn't bad. I have brought in over slot reds and decent snook on a reel that barely does 10 lbs drag. The BG2500 only does 13. In fact I'd consider the 2000 size but 4 lbs of drag is just a bit too light.

I'm thinking 10 lb SSV2 braid, I'm a fan of that in larger sizes. Or maybe some J braid to stick with the daiwa theme. I'm open to suggestions though.

And really I already have 4 strong capable inshore rigs in the 3000-4000 size range. i mean the more the merrier, but i don't currently have an ultralight so I wanna check that box next. It just seems like more fun.

oc1

Doesn't the BG have a better reputation?  But, in the end, they are both Diawa and both spinners.
-s

philaroman

not worm drive -- worm oscillation
basically same mechanism that moves a level-wind side-to-side,
but cut asymmetrically to vary the up/down speed of a spinner spool
best line-lay, IMO (highly desirable for 10# braid)
PITA to service, esp. small reel, ESP in S/W!!!

700 is so popular, because it's alone in a niche: slightly bigger, durable UL w/ big-boy spool/drag & only worm-O model <1000
only reason to pay retail, is for 700-size, SPECIFICALY, NOW!!!  & it seems small for your uses, even "extreme sporty"
as you go up in size, value of used Whiskers plummets & it makes no sense to get a new one
if you want to spend $100, you can do better than Whiskers among 1000+ size Daiwa's
few years back, you could get original Japan-made 1000 Fuego(?) $100 Clearance

wfjord

I dickered over BG sizes about three years ago.  Originally wanted a 2500 size but after studying the specs and looking at it in the store decided on the 3000 for stripers and occasional sw.  Still a small-ish reel in a good way, and turned out to be a good choice.  Good capacity and drag.

Only "combo" I've ever bought --was much more economical that way & turns out I like the BG rod, too.

JasonGotaProblem

I forgot the 2500 BG is the same weight as my 4000 spheros. This keeps getting harder. The ss is lighter, but line cap comparison wise the 1300 is more in line with the BG2500 and those are comparable weight.

I still have that link about modding an ss to make it saltwater friendly open as a tab on my phone browser. You don't have to mod a BG though.

And I wouldn't buy an ss new outside of the 700 size. The other larger ones are readily available used for cheap. But nobody seems to wanna give up their 700...

thrasher

I'd say go with the BG2500 and hold off until you can find that vintage SS700 at a good price like you wanted to do in your other thread. BTW, your other thread about the whisker has got me looking for one also.  ;D

I went to a tackle website to research both reels you mentioned and I saw something I didn't know Daiwa made. I think I'm getting myself a Emcast LT bite n' run 2500. Love me a spinner with a clicker!!

Your threads are costing me money LOL

JasonGotaProblem

redsetta

I fish the BG8000 pretty hard (topwater stickbaits) and it's been bulletproof to date.
The design and build are pure 'form follows function', which I love.
A bit like that Dos Equis beer ad, 'I don't always fish spinners. But when I do, I prefer a BG...'  ;) ;D
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

philaroman

simple, get BG-MQ 2500, which weighs less than BG 1500
(unless Daiwa specs. are off...  quite possible)

Quote from: thrasher on November 29, 2020, 10:55:06 PM

I went to a tackle website to research both reels you mentioned and I saw something I didn't know Daiwa made. I think I'm getting myself a Emcast LT bite n' run 2500. Love me a spinner with a clicker!!

Your threads are costing me money LOL

just noticed Okuma's budget BaitFeeder is <$30
https://okumafishingusa.com/collections/specials/products/50-off-select-avenger-abf-b-series