Ocean City 112 rebuild

Started by elcarlstono, December 06, 2020, 04:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elcarlstono

Hi folks, I'm almost finished with my Ocean City 112 rebuild/restore. I have 2 issues.
1. The little orange/red washer came out broken, and I'm not totally sure from where. I assume this is the fiber drag washer.  Any tips for locating a source for a new one?
2. The short, wide spring.  I think this goes under the spool tensioner knob but I can't get it to thread with the spring on. 

Thanks!

oc1

That is probably the fiber washer from under the main gear.  You can replace it with delrin, carbon fiber, mylar or any synthetic material that can tolerate a little heat.  Maybe best to avoid nylon.

That spring goes inside the spool tension know on the tail plate.  Try winding the spring to make the diameter a little smaller as you insert it.
-steve

elcarlstono

elcarlstono

Still no luck on the spring. Don't feel like I'm coming even close to turning a thread. Does the spring thread onto the flared bottom of the knob?

Dominick

Carl, if you are trying to put the spring on the left side it does not belong there.  It belongs on the right side plate.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Wompus Cat

Like this
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

elcarlstono

Thanks Dominic, that worked. The diagram I am looking at has it completely opposite!
Interesting now though I have significantly more side play on the spool
Wompus, mine doesn't look like that at all.  Are you sure it's a 112, or maybe some lettered variant?
I'll try to get some better pics tomorrow of both sides. 

elcarlstono

I've got 2 knobs; one is oct-headed with a flared bottom and one is round headed.  The round one is the only one that the spring seats in.  Either cap will seat on either side, but if I use the spring on the right side (under the drag), the spring is exposed.  If I use it on the left side, with the clicker switch, it recesses.  I'm assuming this is the correct config. It also fits the diagram.  I don't understand, mechanically, how this contols reel tension but that's a personal problem :D

Wompus Cat

QuoteWompus, mine doesn't look like that at all.  Are you sure it's a 112, or maybe some lettered variant?

No  my pic was just to give you some insight as to which side the spring cap went >

There are at least 2 versions of the 112 .
Early has a lever that you pull down for free spool the other has a lever you push  forward or back .
Each of those  Have different  end caps .
Lets see a pic of both sides of your reel and the end caps .
The spring does  not adjust tension on the spool per say but puts pressure on the cap to keep it from backing off .
On one version the end cap has a screw in the middle ( Lever Side ) in which you can set the gear to spool spacing and the other side has a Brass pin in the center you can punch in or out to achieve the proper tension variance in thumb
Cap.
Sounds like you are pretty much  there just need some Tweaking
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

oldmanjoe

Some picture of the 112
  Like Wompus said round cap on the click side with spring.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oc1

I thought it went on the left/tail plate.  The left side needs a spring because when the reel is casted the spinning spool will try to vibrate and loosen the left side threads.  The threads are lefty-loosey and the spool is spinning the same direction.  

The schematic shows it on the left too:
https://www.reelschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/schematics/Ocean%20City/OCEAN%20CITY%20LEVELWIND%20BAY%20CITY%20MODEL%20A%20112%2C%20113%281950%29.pdf
#35 - left side oil cap spring.

When starting the threads you have to be compressing the spring at the same time.  Sometimes it is just a matter of pushing harder as you turn it.
-steve

Gfish

Shouldn't Ocean City have it's own section?
Elcarlstono I have a bunch of hard fiber washers. PM me and you can try these. That 2nd red one from the left looks close?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

elcarlstono

Thanks for all the replies:
@oldmanjoe, yes, that's it.  I'm going with it.
@oc1(steve).  Thanks for that schmetic. It's the first I've seen where I can actually read the numbers!
@Gfish. THat is a very kind offer; PM inbound.  Here's the dimensions of what's left of mine.
Ring width; 1/8"
Total diameter: 11/16"
Inside diameter: 3/8"

elcarlstono

For what it's worth, the main drag on mine has the single cork washer, which is still in tact.

oldmanjoe

Can you snap a picture of the drag ,  they may be stuck together making it look like one instead of three pieces
  After thinking about it there is a one piece drag also , here is one Doninick has  done ...https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18792.0
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare