penn bridge rescue

Started by alantani, December 12, 2020, 04:20:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

Way to cold forge the old sleeve to fix it!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Brendan

Back to your roots indeed. I'm working on a couple of beaten down Jigmasters now and find it funny when I'm told they are lousy reels as they are missing key parts. Amazing they work at all let alone well. Thanks for sharing.

Hardy Boy

great tips and some great tunes in the background !!!

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Cuttyhunker

Reelrepair123 et al,

Thread with the ouside sleeve diameter and fine/coarse pitch count for the Jiggy's

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=31052.msg362540#msg362540
Doomed from childhood

Rancanfish

Alan,  could we also cut off, (shorten), the extended part of the screwdriver bit used to reduce damage to the inside threads? Just keep the shoulder flare.

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Donnyboat

Thank you Alan, great detail video, thing I did not know about, thanks again and have a merry Xmas, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

alantani

Quote from: Rancanfish on December 13, 2020, 04:11:07 PM
Alan,  could we also cut off, (shorten), the extended part of the screwdriver bit used to reduce damage to the inside threads? Just keep the shoulder flare.

yeah, i tried a couple of different things.  basically, the more you compress, the better the fit, and the more jacked up the inside threads become.  there really is no way to dance around this one.  you've just gotta have a tap. the handle nut is also brass and is not hard enough to chase the threads by itself.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kmstorm64

Alan,

I have two thoughts on this: 1. As always a great job to bring these back to life.  2 You did your self no favor's as now this "Charter Captain" will keep sending you his craped out junk time and again.  His income is based on what those reels can and can't do. Around the Washington state area, Charters are going from $180-300 depending on species, Fly fishing double that.  For that kind of money, I would be kind of offended if I was handed some clunky old Penn rod & reel.  I get not every captain can afford to replace gear, but you can afford to replace 3-5 every year.  I saw charter's in HMB using old crapped out reels that they charge extra for.  Given that, that rod has paid for itself many times over.  Sometimes you have to let them go, so the said Captain does right by his customers.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

alantani

MarkT

You'd have been better off buying him new reels and just charging for the under gear washer than putting all that time into them!

alantani

double yup!  this was one of those situations where i did all of this just to see if i could!!!!!  ;D

Maxed Out

Most all the charters I've been on do have nice rods and reels and here in Washington we don't hafta fork out money for using them. Never could figure out how California charters get to charge money to use thier gear.

My albacore charter supplies accurate reels on Shimano bait sticks for every client at no additional charge. When it's time to service, he sends them directly to the factory. It's still ok to bring your own gear. I prefer using jigmaster 99's and the captain is never insulted. My local salmon charter also has well maintained good boat gear.

Whenever I see a charter with gear that lacks regular maintenance, it makes me question what else isn't regularly maintained....like the engines, etc
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

MarkT

Yeah Ted, If the stuff I can see isn't maintained, what about the things I can't see?