Petty rant re: amazon

Started by JasonGotaProblem, December 12, 2020, 04:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I feel like the primary cause for eBay growing in popularity is the fact that unlike Amazon, the search results are limited to things containing the words I actually typed into the search bar. I can't tell you how many times I tyoed in something very specific only to find that very specific thing on page 4 of the search. Because others are paying more to advertise. Like if I'm looking for braid. I know if I type In power pro it'll be a shitshow because those are common words. But if I type in "SSV2" (the type of braid from powerpro that I want) not only do I see a bunch of off brand braids, which is sorta logical but not what I'm searching for, but im also clicking through 3 pages of surge protectors because the algorithm knows ssv2 is made by a company called power pro so therefore I must want power strips and therefore I want surge protectors. Same search on ebay: get exactly what I'm looking for. As such I've probably spent hundreds of dollars on eBay this year for things I first tried to search for on amazon but decided to instead go to a retailer that can at least passingly pretend to value my time.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Midway Tommy

My opinion has nothing to do with searches, but I have to say that I have never been able to purchase the same item on Amazon (even with free shipping) cheaper than on eBay. The only time I ever buy Amazon is when I can't seem to find the item anywhere else. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

alantani

like so many of of, my jaunts outside of the garage have been severely curtailed.  for online purchases, i've gotten into the habit of checking amazon, ebay AND local just to see what the prices are.  i can usually do this pretty quickly.  it's saved me alot of money. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

philaroman

shoulda' learned your lesson after "dual A/R"  ;D ;D ;D
can't "window-shop" on Amazon: bogus specs; limited, pushy, pro-vendor search engine; etc.
get your info elsewhere, narrow your interests to specific model(s), THEN check Amazon for price

oc1

I hate the thought of Amazon taking over the world.  Just the same, my wife signed up for the Prime thing and I use it all the time now.  Quick, cheap, no arguments on returns, points, free shipping.

They have a house brand of braid called Kalex.  It's much better than Hercules (another bargain brand) and seems similar to and just as good as Power Pro for about half the price. 

It would be interesting to know how many braid manufacturing plants there really are.  Certainly less than the number of brands.
-steve

philaroman

originally, 1 Dutch(?) plant making all Dyneema & 2 Honeywell plants making all Spectra

mo65

Quote from: oc1 on December 13, 2020, 06:44:02 AM
It would be interesting to know how many braid manufacturing plants there really are.  Certainly less than the number of brands.
-steve

Quote from: philaroman on December 13, 2020, 10:42:27 AM
originally, 1 Dutch(?) plant making all Dyneema & 2 Honeywell plants making all Spectra

I think this is the reason I don't see much difference in the many brands...except for price. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Cuttyhunker

Right on Phil and Mo, few extruders and many line, twine, rope and net makers.  Extruding machines for these fibers are worth millions, braiders and twisters can be set up for thousands.  There are some converters of the raw fiber that do it better, but it's all the same base yarns, so how good in good enough?  Twice the cost, while possibly improved in some aspect doesn't necessarily double the value or performance. YMMV.  When I search out the "super braid", or mono online I look for the biggest spools for the best deals per yard.  These big spools are often intended for tackle shops spooling customers reels, and must be, for that market, of the "good enough" finish     
Doomed from childhood

Keta

I have not used Amazon for several yearsband will not use them unless forced to. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Keta on December 13, 2020, 02:42:57 PM
I have not used Amazon for several yearsband will not use them unless forced to. 

You REALLY have to watch em .I paid 4 Bux a can for Spinach where I can buy it anywhere for .89 to 1.02 locally .
They mis - represented this and won't do nuttin about it .
Prime Member means you get a Prime Screwin in my experience. Glad I got Free Shipping even though it like looked like
Magilla THE Gorilla played Raquteball ball with the Package.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

foakes

Amazon is like eBay for a lot of us — we complain about them — but 90% of us continue to still use them.

However, Amazon is great for information as well as comparisons before purchasing.

Other forward-thinking retail firms have gone to online ordering systems — which were in place and producing solid sales — long before this pandemic ever hit.  And they are also doing well.

Thousands and thousands of major retailers and businesses will go out of business over the next 9 months.  For stores that were having trouble prior to the pandemic — due to retailers like Amazon, Wal-Mart, etc. — and who did not have a solid and non-clunky catalog and ordering system with low cost or free shipping — will be Oscar Bravo (out of business).

For the last month, I have been slowly setting up a metal prep and finishing area in one of my outside shops.  So far, I have not bought a single thing from Amazon — but I may before it is completed.  Bought 3 or 4 items on Craigslist (oven, metal tables, other things), plus I used Amazon for comparisons before buying from other retailers — which were cheaper and had in most cases, free shipping.

These included a dual voltage powder-coating system from Eastwood, a bead-blasting cabinet from the manufacturer, a case tumbler from Hornady, powder-coating paint from Powder by the Pound, and high temperature plugs and tape from he individual manufacturers — all much cheaper than Amazon.

Amazon is a great resource — but other companies who will also likely be in business a year from now — have taken their cue from Amazon's success — and rose up to challenge and run their own businesses with a combination of 80% online and 20% brick & mortar operations.

So, for folks who just want the ease of having a credit card online and ordering everything they need — Amazon does this for them very easily.

But, for folks who want the best value as to price, shipping, and timely delivery — Amazon is a great comparison tool.

It really pays to shop around and be a more informed shopper, at least for me.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

David Hall

There have been items I needed for boat maintnence or repairs that Amazon offered at slightly higher price than competitors but I went with them anyway because of shipping times.  sometimes I just have to have it sooner than later.

Wompus Cat

Suffice it to say there is Good and Bad in all online Shopping however in this scenario I agree with the first post in this thread wholeheartedly Amazon is problematic to use these days versus e-bay search software .
I still buy from both.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

handi2

Amazon has been great for me. I've never had a problem with anything. I never look at Amazon for reel parts. That's silly to me.

I've been a Prime member for many years now. I'm buying something almost every week.

I also use Walmart online. They are competitive with Amazon now.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

oc1

Quote from: foakes on December 13, 2020, 07:12:21 PM
These included a dual voltage powder-coating system from Eastwood, a bead-blasting cabinet from the manufacturer, a case tumbler from Hornady, powder-coating paint from Powder by the Pound, and high temperature plugs and tape from he individual manufacturers

Man, I can't wait to see what comes out of that set-up Fred.  Taking it to the next level again.
-s