Petty rant re: amazon

Started by JasonGotaProblem, December 12, 2020, 04:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Stopped using Amazon Prime, no problems in the past, but it's a warehouse worker "POLITICAL" thing now. I won't go back.
My wife roped me into one her schemes to take the responsibility for a prime account, so she could save money on something she wanted. I was thinking: "ah jeez, here we go again..." I said out-loud:..."yes dear!"
Then I thought to get my Prime account $ back, I better start buying;... a Fin Nor Lethal 100, the Accurate 600 DPX2, I did a tutorial recently on. STOP! They started getting on my nerves with their advertising. Never say never, though.
I say, "Get 'em Jason!"
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

thorhammer

I think you are all missing the main point here, which has nothing to do with amazon. Fred is supposed to be retired, an he is apparently setting up a shop worthy of painting Eleanor, and you people aren't calling him out to just take a breather and smell the roses :)

400 years ago, Fred would've walked into the Cistine chapel, and said, "Mikey, take a break and go get us some lunch. I got this".

philaroman

he can have roses outside shop
melds well w/ Dawn, SG + hints of fresh grease

foakes

Quote from: thorhammer on December 14, 2020, 04:22:49 AM
I think you are all missing the main point here, which has nothing to do with amazon. Fred is supposed to be retired, an he is apparently setting up a shop worthy of painting Eleanor, and you people aren't calling him out to just take a breather and smell the roses :)

For me, John — Retirement was never a goal to get to a place where I could just coast along after working for over 50 years.  That is a recipe for a really short retirement.  A majority of my close friends and siblings have tried to attain this place in life — and most of them have passed on within a year or two of retiring.  Probably the culprit was a lack of purpose.

I am as busy now, as when I worked at a profession full time.

The difference is just like the sign you see on some businesses —

"Under New Management"

And I like to put in a full day, and get up a couple of hours before it gets light every day.  The quiet time in the pre-dawn, is a time of introspection, contemplation, prayer, and planning for the day.

And besides, the deer ate all the roses.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Donnyboat

Deer O Dear, thats the shot Fred, keep yourself positive, amazing how quick the time goes when your retired, maybe we just cant do as much as we use to do, keep well cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Gobi King

Right at the onset of covid, amazon decided that they do not want out business, they are over stretched.
The way to get you NOT order from them is raise their price of stuff they do not want to stock or sell.

Now add to that google like "I know better and I will guess for you what the fuss you want to buy", you have very irate customers like moi.

Confession - I don't really care where I buy it from, amazon seems to be 20 to 30% more than ebay for similar item.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Cuttyhunker

Found the REDNECK cheapo 16 rod rack on Facebook Marketplace from one "store" in the low twenties, same one is over thirty on other sites or stores.  Need to find the correct associated seller. 10 or 15 min with a screwdriver.  Cheated it a little for an old fly rod on the end.  Good enough
Doomed from childhood

David Hall

After coming home from pulling my crab pots, we were washing the boat down in the street when an Amazon van stopped to deliver a package.  I found myself standing next to him and could not help but notice a strained look of frustration on his face.  I said to him, you look a bit tired my friend, you must be having a long day.  WOW! I didnt expect the reaction I got, for a brief moment he just looked at me with a blank look on his face then he threw his hands up and grabbed his head and started swaying back and forth saying I am so tired, I am so tired, I have been delivering packages since yesterday 264 packages and today I have 7 totes for a total of 273 packages, and they wont give me any help and I am so tired. I only took this job to help my family and they dont even care! Most customers are Aholes and dont even say hello or thanks for bringing me my package. By now my buddy was giving me a look like WTH did you say to this poor guy.  I tried to reassure him that his day would soon be over, some days are simply longer and harder than others. he just said its going to get much worse the Christmas rush is just beginning.  I probably should have asked him to park the van and take a break, have some fresh boiled crab and a margarita with us and relax for a bit, but the thought didnt occur to me until much later.  He hopped in the drivers seat and off he went. I wonder how he made it through his day and can only hope he is okay.
So when you see your Prime delivery driver, smile and say hello, those folks are stressed and in need of some friendly interaction.

Gfish

Good story and sentiments David. Didn't realize the drivers also had it it that bad.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Quote from: Gfish on December 14, 2020, 08:02:17 PM
Good story and sentiments David. Didn't realize the drivers also had it it that bad.

Yeah, we are getting deliveries from UPS or FedEx after dark in the evening — and we live in the remote mountains — at the end of an unpaved road — in the Winter.

When I ask the drivers how their day is going, and look in the back of the truck to see how many packages to go before they make the hour and a half drive back down to the Fresno yard out on the West side of town — it is just like David said — they are really over-worked.  It is one thing when houses and businesses are closer together in a town — another completely different matter when it is dark, late, cold, and there are few signs — along with weirdly spread out addresses.  And the company tracks how long they are at each stop.

For the regular drivers, we will be giving them some gift cards this week — for all of the extra work they do for us during the year.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Jim Fujitani

Quote from: David Hall on December 14, 2020, 05:32:01 PM
After coming home from pulling my crab pots, we were washing the boat down in the street when an Amazon van stopped to deliver a package.  I found myself standing next to him and could not help but notice a strained look of frustration on his face.  I said to him, you look a bit tired my friend, you must be having a long day.  WOW! I didnt expect the reaction I got, for a brief moment he just looked at me with a blank look on his face then he threw his hands up and grabbed his head and started swaying back and forth saying I am so tired, I am so tired, I have been delivering packages since yesterday 264 packages and today I have 7 totes for a total of 273 packages, and they wont give me any help and I am so tired. I only took this job to help my family and they dont even care! Most customers are Aholes and dont even say hello or thanks for bringing me my package. By now my buddy was giving me a look like WTH did you say to this poor guy.  I tried to reassure him that his day would soon be over, some days are simply longer and harder than others. he just said its going to get much worse the Christmas rush is just beginning.  I probably should have asked him to park the van and take a break, have some fresh boiled crab and a margarita with us and relax for a bit, but the thought didnt occur to me until much later.  He hopped in the drivers seat and off he went. I wonder how he made it through his day and can only hope he is okay.
So when you see your Prime delivery driver, smile and say hello, those folks are stressed and in need of some friendly interaction.

I am fully aware of the work and strain that the drivers have to go through.  So I make it a point to try to loudly say "Thank you, stay safe!' and smile, as a bare minimum.  Or even wave if they are in their cab already.  And the same goes for the USPS carriers.  It is the least I can do, since we have to put up with my barking dog!!

Gobi King

I have been laid off work few times and had to go many months WITHOUT any $$$, my coping mechanism when I have to put in a 16 hour day is thank the Lord for being employed.

I feel for the Amazon and other delivery/seasonal workers,
Do they get paid by the hour?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

oc1

I don't know how it works, but the delivery guys seem to always be in a hurry, overworked and athletic looking.  I suspect it is a pretty good gig financially.
-s

David Hall

Spoke with my UPS driver yesterday, I mentioned the the Amazon driver and he told me he knew why the guy was so stressed. He said they get no help or support on their routes, UPS puts a "runner" on the truck when they have a good number of packages to deliver, the driver remains in the truck and his runner drops the package at the door.  He told me he had only 12 more packages to deliver and his day was done, it was about 2:00 pm, he was happy and smiling.

swill88

Quote from: David Hall on December 15, 2020, 10:26:47 PM
Spoke with my UPS driver yesterday, I mentioned the the Amazon driver and he told me he knew why the guy was so stressed. He said they get no help or support on their routes, UPS puts a "runner" on the truck when they have a good number of packages to deliver, the driver remains in the truck and his runner drops the package at the door.  He told me he had only 12 more packages to deliver and his day was done, it was about 2:00 pm, he was happy and smiling.

In normal times yes.  But now, who wants to ride in a truck all day with someone else?
I'm doing a bunch of small remodeling projects and I don't want a helper.
Keep away please!  jmo

steve