A bit of introspection on why I suck at fishing

Started by JasonGotaProblem, December 14, 2020, 06:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I had a bit of a revelation about myself, specifically my approach to fishing. I used to be pretty decent/lucky. I would generally always catch something, if not usually more catches than the people I fished with.

I've been wondering why, despite having far better gear and more of it, I feel like I've caught way less fish this year than i did last year when i was running only 2 rigs both of which sucked. And I think back to how we make fun of folks who think they can make up for lack of fishing ability by buying fancier tackle. And I worried thats what happened to me.

But i came to realize that in a way the new tackle is the problem, but not in the way i thought it was. I've long known but apparently forgotten that the secret of successful fishing is to target what's active at that spot at that time. I've spent the past year apparently on a mission to play with my new toys, trying to use my tackle to catch the types of fish that tackle is meant for. And along the way I apparently forgot to consider the odds of those species (not to mention large specimens thereof) being in the area at the time, AND hungry.

So I've come to realize I've wasted a bunch of fishing trips and a bunch of live bait. But hey, some lessons are more expensive than others, and some just take longer. Here's to a far more successful 2021.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

pjstevko

Well said..... If you don't learn at least one thing every outing your not trying hard enough..... And it gets hard to remember that fishing is about the ENTIRE experience not just the catching!

Pj

Bill B

Well said Jason.  This is a lesson I learned living on the Sacramento River, fish the seasons and the run...then pick  the gear that matches your target....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Maxed Out

Yes, I do strive to repeat successful days, but to me it's more important to NOT repeat my worst fishing days
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

philaroman

it's definitely more productive to target what's there, rather than what you want to be there
so you took a season to reaffirm that principle & tweak your tackle
you'll be better prepped, when the big girls arrive

Benni3

Or you could just have fun,,,,,, :D don't target anything and use whatever gear you want doing it,,,,, ;) then you will have a blast,,,,,,,, ;D

Benni3

But the thing is when hook a fish of a lifetime your ready,,,, ;) no excuses,,,,,,,,,,, ;D

steelfish

I like this guy Benni, he's never undergunned  ;D ;D

@ Jason, in my beginnings (around 15 years ago) I used to catch more fish when used cheap lures on a cheap rod and reel because I didnt care if I lose the lures on the rocks or snagged at the bottom, then started to buy and use better rods and reel AND nicer and more expensive lures but I was scared to lose a $20- $30 DUO or luckycraft lure, so, suddenly I couldnt caught anything, then asked why I didnt caught as many fish as before even with better lures and rigs, until found out that my fear to lose my lures was bigger than my wishes to catch a fish, so on my next fishing trip I just switched that up, started to use my "expensive" lures without worries of getting snag or lose them and they started to work better and find the fish, then joy for fishing returned.

The Baja Guy

Benni3

Quote from: steelfish on December 15, 2020, 12:42:29 AM
I like this guy Benni, he's never undergunned  ;D ;D

@ Jason, in my beginnings (around 15 years ago) I used to catch more fish when used cheap lures on a cheap rod and reel because I didnt care if I lose the lures on the rocks or snagged at the bottom, then started to buy and use better rods and reel AND nicer and more expensive lures but I was scared to lose a $20- $30 DUO or luckycraft lure, so, suddenly I couldnt caught anything, then asked why I didnt caught as many fish as before even with better lures and rigs, until found out that my fear to lose my lures was bigger than my wishes to catch a fish, so on my next fishing trip I just switched it, started to use my "expensive" lures without worries of getting snag or lose them and they started to work better and find the fish, then joy for fishing returned.

Yes last trip to the lake i lost 10 gamakatsu hooks and I don't how much litter,,,,, :( but if you want to play you got to pay,,,,,, ;) and a friend said go big or go home,,,,,hehe the most important thing is you litter,,,,,,,,,,, ;D

Swami805

Fishing is somewhat repeatable, what worked on your last successful outing will work on the next one. Then there's the old saying "the sun shines on a different dogs butt everyday", your time will come again if you put in the time.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

steelfish

Quote from: Benni3 on December 15, 2020, 01:07:16 AM
....but if you want to play you got to pay,,,,,, ;)

I said that now to myself and to my friends when they lose an expensive knife jig or trolling lure, well, if you want to play you gotta pay, its funny the 1st 3 lures, but after you lose 5-7 $30 dlls lures on the same day its not funny anymore LOL

The Baja Guy

philaroman

hmmm, maybe get a scuba suit + clear riot shield

& go lure huntin'/gatherin'  :o  could be profitable  ;D  ;D  ;D

Benni3

Yes $7 dollar lures with a 80.cent hook on the back lost
7in one mouth is difficult,,,,,, ;) but you get the big one's you got to pay to play,,,,,,,,, ;D

David Hall

I have a friend who will sit on a pier all day from dawn to dusk, just sit there on a bucket with a diminishing supply of beer amd a rod in his hands with a line in the water.  Never uses a hook.  Has a blast. 

wailua boy

Sometimes it's the race car but usually it's the driver.