Old greenie getting it done

Started by Cuttyhunker, December 21, 2020, 03:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuttyhunker

From SWLCC facebook page posed May 2020

Salt Water Lure Collectors Club
tMauSsplomyeon s1o3refd  ยท
R.I.P To another striped bass legend.
Al McReynolds pulled this World Record striper from the Atlantic fishing at night off the Vermont Ave. jetty in Atlantic City following days of September Nor'easter storming in 1982. The fish was taken on a 5 1/2-inch long Rebel Black-back silver minnow plug on 20-pound test line. It took one hour and 40 minutes to land the fish on the slippery jetty. The fish measured 53 inches in length with a 34 1/2 inch girth, and was estimated to be 20 - 22 years old. Its 78 pound 8 oz. weight earned it the IGFA all-tackle record!
McReynolds passed last Sunday at his residence in Naples, Florida
Doomed from childhood

nelz

That's one helluva fish!  Looks like a 710 greenie?

oc1

Cool photo Bob.  What is the rod?
-steve

Cuttyhunker

No idea Steve, jut found it on the FB page for the club.
Doomed from childhood

Dominick

Quote from: oc1 on December 21, 2020, 07:41:15 PM
-steve

I blew it up and there is a recognizable logo on the rod.  At first I thought it was a Fenwick but when I enlarged it, it looked different.  Someone on this site will recognize it.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

Based on the thread title, I fully expected to open and see a pic of Dominick catching a fish in the original stock green Speedo....

thrasher

What manufacturers were reversing reel seats back then?

oc1

Quote from: Dominick on December 21, 2020, 10:58:39 PM
I blew it up and there is a recognizable logo on the rod.  At first I thought it was a Fenwick but when I enlarged it, it looked different.  Someone on this site will recognize it.  Dominick
My guess was going to be Garcia-Conolon or Browning Siaflex but Fenwick sounds better.

If you're really bored you can look at the Vermont Ave jetty on Google earth.  It's one of those erosion control things.  I was expecting something grander.

-steve

thorhammer

I recall reading the story of Al's catch in OL or F&S; I was about 14 then. There was a follow up story much later, the catch had a very negative impact on his life, so it read.

Benni3

Quote from: Dominick on December 21, 2020, 10:58:39 PM
Quote from: oc1 on December 21, 2020, 07:41:15 PM
-steve

I blew it up and there is a recognizable logo on the rod.  At first I thought it was a Fenwick but when I enlarged it, it looked different.  Someone on this site will recognize it.  Dominick
He maybe had a 9.5or10ft shimano,,,, ;) but abu-garcia paid him to hold that one,,,,,,,, ;D

Cuttyhunker

Here's a link to a Mens Journal article about the fish and aftermath, rod was a Garcia, or Garcia thought so to the tune of 250K.

https://www.mensjournal.com/features/the-biggest-fish-story-ever-told-20130917/
Doomed from childhood

nelz

Wow, what an amazing tale, and a very entertaining read. "...not sure they had even caught a fish but possibly a sea monster in the shape of a striper".

On a sad note, I was also reminded of the young men I see at fishing piers that are there seemingly 24/7, squandering their lives' potential.

Gfish

Yeah, well written story. Guy was probably never gonna be ready for that kinda success. I sure wouldn't have the knowledge of how to work a deal like that for myself. It sounds like you need one or more professionals, but whom can you trust?..."Yeah, buy me another beer, and we'll make a deal"...

Just had an opportunity to go through an almost unused 714, those Greenies are relatively simple, but seemingly tough machines [haven't fished one yet].
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Cuttyhunker

Gfish,
I've been trying to wear out a 700 I got as a kid in the 60's, in those days I wasn't kind to my tackle.  It's butt ugly with a chunk busted off the foot, beat up today but still functions as factory new.  Maybe I can wear it out in another hundred years or so.  A pleasure on the water, go treat yourself to those thrilling days of yesteryear.  
Doomed from childhood

El Pescador

Cutty,

I'd say...  BUTT   A*&   UGLY for sure!!!!!

What is the largest fish you've caught on this 700???

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!