Just an observation Penn/Ocean City

Started by Reeltyme, December 31, 2020, 11:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reeltyme

I just happen to be cleaning my Ocean City Reel and had all the parts to it grouped on my workbench, when a customer dropped off a Penn Senator for a maintenance. Found the comparison of the bridge screws to be quite interesting. The top 4 are from the Penn Senator 6/0,,,, the bottom 4 are from my Ocean City 14/0 (814) cradle! I'll let y'all draw your own conclusions.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Just noticed that the photo got turned during the download. Penn on the left, Ocean City on the right.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Reeltyme on December 31, 2020, 11:27:05 AM
I just happen to be cleaning my Ocean City Reel and had all the parts to it grouped on my workbench, when a customer dropped off a Penn Senator for a maintenance. Found the comparison of the bridge screws to be quite interesting. The top 4 are from the Penn Senator 6/0,,,, the bottom 4 are from my Ocean City 14/0 (814) cradle! I'll let y'all draw your own conclusions.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

In all honesty the only Comparison I can say with the picture you posted here is that the 4 screws on the left are
about equal in length to the the 4 screws on the right and that the 4 screws on the right are smaller in diameter than those on the left . Is there another pic you have not entered ?

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Rancanfish

Larger reel, smaller screws is the point I think.  Quality of build comparison.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Rancanfish on December 31, 2020, 05:19:16 PM
Larger reel, smaller screws is the point I think.  Quality of build comparison.

I guess if you were to  turn your monitor sideways where there would be a top and bottom to the illustration as mentioned in the Quandry posted above  you could do a comparison and depending which way you turned it would change the aforementioned screws  positions thus confusing which reel screw size belonged to the Penn or the OCEAN CITY but  with what there is to go on we only have screws from one reel it looks like and four of those being Bridge screws whilst the other would be to one of the side plates . As it is you have 8 screws and would be described in a fashion as left to right not Top and Bottom ...lol
Me tinks Reelman left out a picture maybe . I dunno .........

foakes

I don't believe any of those bridge screws would fail — might...but I have never seen that in either OC or Penn.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

Now that Reeltyme has edited his description and top /bottom  is transposed to left / right it makes more sense for an analogy however one should consider that the much Earlier production date  of the Ocean City big Reels  vs Penn Production Dates plus the fact Ocean City used 6 Screws in the Bridge back then not just 4 as the 6/0 Penn does when it came into production would come into play here but all in all YEPPER Them 4 Penn 6/0 Bridge Screws are Bigger than the 6 Bridge Screws on the old Ocean City 14/0 Cradles all right and the only Fail I have Found on the BIG OCEAN City Reels with 6 Screws in the Bridge   is where a Moron used too big a screw driver and chipped out the material around it but she still worked.
Here is Top Four/vs Bottom Four view

Reeltyme

An interesting note, my O.C. 14/0 cradle only has 4 bridge screws? There are an additional 2 screws that might appear to be in the bridge, however they actually hold the posts for the free spool bridge plate and have nothing to do with the actual bridge plate. True, I have never seen any fail in any reel I ever worked on, I just find it interesting that a little 6/0 Senator has considerably more substantial bridge screws than a huge 14/0 O.C.! One would expect the opposite. A testament to Penn's desire to build a high quality/low cost reel that lasts for practically ever!

foakes

Quote from: Reeltyme on December 31, 2020, 07:42:04 PM
An interesting note, my O.C. 14/0 cradle only has 4 bridge screws? There are an additional 2 screws that might appear to be in the bridge, however they actually hold the posts for the free spool bridge plate and have nothing to do with the actual bridge plate. True, I have never seen any fail in any reel I ever worked on, I just find it interesting that a little 6/0 Senator has considerably more substantial bridge screws than a huge 14/0 O.C.! One would expect the opposite. A testament to Penn's desire to build a high quality/low cost reel that lasts for practically ever!

Great point, Randy!

Thanks, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

Well it is certainly a Testament to Quality that Both Reels are Still working just fine today although one of the Manufactures has gone away years ago .

philaroman

well, just to play the Devil's Advocate...
do you know it's same metal?
what if Penn used cheaper steel & more of it?

Reeltyme

Oh sure, go throwing science into it!  >:(  Good question though?

Brewcrafter

I think Fred wisely hit on it - the tensile strength of any of those fasteners properly used is most likely far beyond anything they might encounter in the "reel" world.  Also, Penn may have by necessity needed to go with a larger overall size because of the unthreaded section for the yoke springs; and if they used a smaller fastener (similar to the Ocean City) that reduced diameter would have taken the unthreaded section down to a diameter that is a fraction of the Ocean City diameters. - john

philaroman

...or, Penn was already set up for that screw in that size
and in Those Days, it was cheaper to waste a little steel, than re-tool

oc1

Ocean City had a robust system for locking down the bridge.  There were nuts on the bridge to increase the depth of bite on the bridge screws.  Penn just threaded the bridge plate and the length of bite was much shorter., albeit the bite was wider  I've never seen one blow out though.
-steve

http://www.raingarden.us/snap/OC979f.jpg
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13054.0
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=30484.0