Kings River trout on the long rod!

Started by pjstevko, January 07, 2021, 03:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

I went out today with a friend and spent a few hours throwing flies for rainbows. We landed about five fish each with a couple over 22"!

Pj

pjstevko

More pics

alantani

wow!  i haven't fished the kings river in 50 years!!!!!! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

That looks like right below Piedra, PJ —

Those Rainbows look healthy and firm.

Hard to keep your bait or lures out of the rocks in that area.

Flies are the ticket

Good job!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Benni3

That looks like fun,,,,,,, ;) what gear was you using,,,,,,,, ;D

Tiddlerbasher

Cor

Such nice photos!   Ive only once in my life caught them on a fly rod.    Good fun, but the environment also makes it so enjoyable.
Cornelis

Gfish

Nice! Winter-time trout fishin. Healthy, colorful, wild lookin fish.
Fished there twice above Pine Flat Res. Beautiful canyon, with lots of exercise going down and back-up. It was such a long hike, I couldn't stay down there as long as I wanted, but there were plenty of small healthy Rainbows.
Over 22"! Cool! A catch & release section?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bryan Young

Those trout are beautiful, as well as the scenery.  so peaceful.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Hardy Boy

Nice looking fish !! Looks busy with other anglers was it opening day or something? Extra credit for catching pressured fish.  Come up here and chase trout and you would be all by yourself ........... I could show you the spots.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

pjstevko

Quote from: foakes on January 07, 2021, 06:04:57 AM
That looks like right below Piedra, PJ —

Those Rainbows look healthy and firm.

Hard to keep your bait or lures out of the rocks in that area.

Flies are the ticket

Good job!

Best, Fred
Fred you're right on. The spot is the Alta Weir below Pine Flat Dam and it's a very popular spot and always has anglers there.

Quote from: Benni3 on January 07, 2021, 09:30:39 AM
That looks like fun,,,,,,, ;) what gear was you using,,,,,,,, ;D
A 5wt Redington Hydrogen rod with a Pascifun Sword II reel and a small bead head nymph!
Quote from: Gfish on January 07, 2021, 02:27:23 PM
Nice! Winter-time trout fishin. Healthy, colorful, wild lookin fish.
Fished there twice above Pine Flat Res. Beautiful canyon, with lots of exercise going down and back-up. It was such a long hike, I couldn't stay down there as long as I wanted, but there were plenty of small healthy Rainbows.
Over 22"! Cool! A catch & release section?
This is well below the reservoir and is a artificial only, no bait and catch and release area only!
Quote from: Hardy Boy on January 07, 2021, 04:42:02 PM
Nice looking fish !! Looks busy with other anglers was it opening day or something? Extra credit for catching pressured fish.  Come up here and chase trout and you would be all by yourself ........... I could show you the spots.
Cheers:

Todd
Not opening day at all, it's always that busy. On a weekend you're lucky to find parking. The State does their hatchery releases there about once a month in the winter time so to say the fish are pressured is an understatement!

Gfish

Cool. Bennie & Marlo, look-out!, here comes PJ!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Benni3

Rivverrat

I've always loved the colors of these fish. I'm so hard headed it took me a long while, as in years, to grasp the idea that is in fact not the size of the fish that makes for a quality fishing trip. Your pictures define

this. Thanks for posting ... Jeff