Last grouper on a 70 year old plus 49

Started by Cuttyhunker, January 07, 2021, 09:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuttyhunker

Last GagGrouper of the season brought in on an unnumbered 49 from the late 40's using a big lipped deep diving swimmer and 50 # mono.  Love the 49's, dime a dozen, rugged, fast like a skinny 114H, just upgrade em with carbontex. 
Doomed from childhood

Reeltyme

Aside from the fact that I am totally jealous 🤤, that is a beautiful fish, both looking as well as tasting! Was it caught before or after midnight?

Gobi King

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

oldmanjoe

:)  Yep he kept you busy for a wile , nice fish !!
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Bill B

Shhhhh...keep it quiet about the 49's otherwise they will start buying them up.  😁😁😁 Nice fish...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Benni3

oc1

Good going.  I'm glad you got your fish and glad Florida has a grouper season.
-steve

Gfish

Cool! Looks to me like a giant Large Mouth Bass. I 've never caught a Grouper. One thing I really like is gettin one like that on a lure. Great way to end the season!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Donnyboat

Good post, nice story, good old 49 well kept &  serviced, thanks for posting, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Cuttyhunker

Here's the star of the day with the two plugs that got us into a double header, the second rig was a Fin Nor Regal 20
Doomed from childhood

Newell Nut

Nice grouper to end the season. I have one of those old 49s that looks really nice but it stands in a corner as an antique decoration. I got it on and old roller rod several years ago and never opened it or used it.

Dwight

kmstorm64

That reel looks something out of a Hemingway novel!  Awesome fish taken down by an old master!
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Zazzara

Cuttyhunker, what kind of max drag numbers are you getting out of that 49?
cursed with left handedness

Cuttyhunker

The drags are the same as a 113, not the H, I do change over to the carbon disks but not the 5 stack.  Back in the 50's before the H series Penn widened the 49 for the South African's to take tuna off the shoreline cliffs, a fast strong reel.  We took many 50+lb stripers on the 113 drag stack back in the day, I've never put one on a scale, just land the fish.  They're my skinny 114H's.  Good reels, weak sleeves if the handle nut isn't tight, a five buck fix.
Doomed from childhood