Penn Long Beach 60 problem

Started by Wayne B., January 09, 2021, 05:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Had the same problem on an old 149 that I was making fishable again for a charter outfit, yesterday.

This reel blew out the old head plate a couple of weeks ago — while I was buttoning it up after replacing the rusted posts, pitted crank, the tail plate, new CF's, new SS drag washers, new under gear washer.  

Now, after replacing the head plate also — figured I was home free.  Wrong...

There was a hesitation at exactly (1) rotation of the crank.

There are many possible fixes for this — depending on the issue.  

Back off the bridge screws — then carefully snug them up.

Back off all frame screws 1/8 turn — then twist the reel with both hands to try and align the frame — re-snug.

Shave the inner race of a ring.

Shave the outer edge of the spool.

Drop a 1/16" ball spacer in the hesitation side bearing (bushings).

Disassemble and reassemble — paying attention to a "cross star pattern" tightening of the screws — not overly tight.

Was tired of working on it — and rather than start on these other more obscure remedies — just set it to the side for a day.

After working on other reels yesterday — just decided to try and replace the head plate bushing with a better used one.  Part#26-60.  90 seconds later, no hesitation, no catch, no lope — 35 seconds of free spool with no line.

Again, good to remember that the most common cause — is the most common cause.  Take the process of elimination in order — doing the most common and simplest things first.  

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Interesting(to me, probably frustrating to you) problem. What part # is the bushing, I can check my stash.

Everything is connected in a reel, directly or indirectly. Bridge screws too loose or tight can affect the eccentric jack movement, which in turn can tweak the yolk, which might cause misalignment of the pinion, which could rub on the spool shaft.

In my minds eye if this were the case, a whole 360 degree rotation would be rougher than normal.

Yup, this is a good one. Kinda sounds like frame misalignment causing spool rub. But why with only one spool?

Have the same problem with a 130 Sailfisher. Never solved the issue. I simi-retired it as a line winding donner reel. Now I can try a new bushing, which never even occured to me!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Wayne B.

Quote from: foakes on January 10, 2021, 07:16:13 PM

Again, good to remember that the most common cause — is the most common cause.  Take the process of elimination in order — doing the most common and simplest things first.  

Best, Fred

And here I thought a LB60 disassemble/assemble is simple! Great info in your post, Fred. Thanks

Bryan Young

Quote from: Wayne B. on January 10, 2021, 05:52:31 PM
Sorry, maybe my ignorance. I used the word lope to mean the reel experiences a spot during spool rotation where the handle experiences a higher resistance.

Thank you Wayne.  I did not want to ####-U-ME before understanding completely.

Obviously, others understood you so it was just my ignorance. 

If you need a new spool, pm me.  I have an aluminum one you can have, just pay shipping.  I believe it's the same size as a 112H except for different spindle length.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Wayne B.

Thanks for the offer Bryan, but I am in good shape now..

Cuttyhunker

Actually Wayne it was a 150 that wasn't engaging from free spool when the eccentric lever was flipped, there are a myriad of things for a reel to be in sync, fortunately the design and engineering is so good on most we don't have to usually think about all those little things.  I once picked up an Abu in an estate lot that was in permanent free spool, the guys here were more than helpful, I tore it down, saw nothing, did nothing, reassembled, and It's been perfect ever since.  Not a clue why.
Doomed from childhood