Previous topic - Next topic

whalebreath

http://www.congocookbook.com/fish-and-s ... ish-yassa/

½ cup peanut oil (or any cooking oil)

4 (or more!) onions, cut up

8 tbsp lemon juice

1 bay leaf

4 garlic cloves, minced

6 tbsp cider vinegar or white vinegar (optional)

2 tbsp Dijon mustard (optional)

2 tablespoons Maggi® sauce (or Maggi® cubes and water), or soy sauce (optional)

1 chile pepper, cleaned and finely chopped (optional)

cayenne pepper or red pepper, black pepper, salt (to taste)

4 lbs fish — one large fish or a few small fish: whole, filleted, or cut into serving-sized pieces

INSTRUCTIONS

1-If using whole fish:
Cut several slits in the side of the fish to allow it to better marinate.

2-In a glass bowl or baking pan mix all ingredients (except the fish) to make a marinade. Place the fish in the marinade, covering both sides, and allow it to marinate an hour. Remove fish from the marinade, but save the marinade. Cook according to one of the following methods.

3-Cooking method 1: Cook fish over an outdoor grill (or broil fish in a hot oven) until done. If grilling: a hinged wire basket made for holding fish on the grill is very useful.
Cooking method 2: In a frypan, fry the fish on each side in hot oil until done.

4-While fish is cooking: Pour the marinade into a saucepan and bring to a slow boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the marinade thickens into a sauce.

it ended up something of a greasy mess but I expected that it was a good tasting greasy mess and adding fresh cracked black pepper before cooking the marinade down a stroke of minor culinary genius.

There's a small fillet o' Halibut under that pile 'o Onions

Took longer than the recipe said to cook this down but I thought it would

Baked Halibut-it had a wonderful smell & bit of flavour from the marinade

Lunch was late today

You could substitute a couple shots of Thai or Vietnamese fish sauce for the Maggi cube-also I forgot the Bay leaf and never noticed anything missing.

Hardy Boy

Wow you went for it !! I just put panko on my Hardy halibut yesterday. I like onions so I may have to give it a try. Would you make it again Karl or change anything?

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

whalebreath

I just bought a 10# bag of Onions @ No Frills otherwise I might not have bothered it's a lot of prep/work & cleanup; I was kind of tired of curry though and this is an excellent substitute.

gstours

Sounds great 👍,  just up my lunch alley.   Did ya forget the garlic?
   Halibut is Gods food. 🍻

whalebreath

Quote from: gstours on January 12, 2021, 05:08:20 PM
...Did ya forget the garlic?
No and I was surprised by how prominent the Garlic flavour was given everything else in the recipe.