Main Menu

Greetings!

Started by ProMariner, January 16, 2021, 07:31:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProMariner

Hi, I've been mostly lurking on this board for sometime and realized I never bothered to introduce myself, although some members have interacted with me in some capacity. I grew up in NY and started fishing early on thanks to my Dad, who against his better judgement allowed me to start working on the local party boat at 11 years old. He is also a member here and directed me to this site when he began building me a new assortment of custom rods (he is a true artist). Initially I planned to just follow the tutorials and overhaul some old jigmasters and Newell's but things quickly got out of hand, which judging by some of the posts is fairly common, haha. I own an assortment of Newell's from 200-400 series, many Penn's up to 113h, and Garcia's in 5000,6000 and 7000 series.

I really appreciate the depth of knowledge on here and those members that have taken it to the next level in creating custom parts. It's really awe inspiring and the dedication to getting things perfectly dialed is incredible.  

In my professional life, I am a USCG licensed deck officer and sail aboard an ocean-going ATB for one of the major operators on the US East Coast and Gulf of Mexico. If anyone has questions about anything maritime related I'd be more than happy to help in whatever way I can!

John

alantani

john, glad to have you on board in these strange and challenging times.  welcome!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Benni3

Welcome from salem va,,,,,,, ;D

Sharkb8

Welcome John from South Australia

Kim

Tiddlerbasher

Hi John - Welcome from the UK, Chris.

Wompus Cat

Welcome aboard from Deep in The Heart of  Texas,U.S.A.
Yes this place is Amazing!
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

kjdunne

Welcome from S New Jersey!  This is the best place for info on everything fishing gear related, and fellowship too.

Kal

Hardy Boy

Welcome from the West Coast of Canada,

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Gfish

Sssssssssup! Promariner -John. Welcome! What's an ATB?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

ProMariner

Hi Gfish,
an ATB is an Articulated Tug/Barge, a tank barge connected to a tugboat by large diameter hydraulic pins on the sides of the tug that fit into a notch at the stern of the barge. We push the barge at all times instead of towing on a tow wire. Essentially we operate as a ship but with a tugboat size crew.

happyhooker

Greetings, John, from Minnesota.

Frank

bhale1

Welcome John,
ATB was a new term for me too! Now I will have to look it up ;D
Hope you enjoy it here.
Brett

Gobi King

Greetings from Fichigan!
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Bryan Young

Welcome John. Do you fish off of the ATB when you are being pushy?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ProMariner

Hi Bryan.
We do have some trolling lines that we can extend off the sides of the barge, but not rod and reel. However the idea of hand lining at 11 knots tends to keep them stowed away in a bucket most of the time.