Please help me choose a fly rod blank

Started by JasonGotaProblem, January 26, 2021, 02:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

:)  So you like a stick that has the sensitive to feel the shrimp raise his eyebrows just before he gets eating .   ;)
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: oldmanjoe on February 10, 2021, 06:58:11 PM
:)  So you like a stick that has the sensitive to feel the shrimp raise his eyebrows just before he gets eating .   ;)
On a good carbon rod with braid and calm water you can feel the difference between a shrimp's tail fanned out or not as you pull him along.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on February 10, 2021, 08:08:46 PM
Quote from: oldmanjoe on February 10, 2021, 06:58:11 PM
On a good carbon rod with braid and calm water you can feel the difference between a shrimp's tail fanned out or not as you pull him along.
??? ::)      I can do that with a broom stick and cake string .
     A good carbon rod , you should feel him breathe !!!    :)
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Rivverrat

@JasonGotaPenn ,  first off I hope you know I was joking with you.   Here, understand this is only if I understand what you desire ...  This is the best blank made for what your wanting.   

https://www.blackholeusa.com/suzuki-special-surf

Now Lamiglass had some wonderful blanks in this category. I dont know they still make them. 

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Rivverrat on February 10, 2021, 10:13:19 PM

@JasonGotaPenn ,  first off I hope you know I was joking with you.   Here, understand this is only if I understand what you desire ...  This is the best blank made for what your wanting.  

Now Lamiglass had some wonderful blanks in this category. I dont know they still make them.  
A bit heavier than what I'm looking for, but looks like an excellent rod for my BG. I will certainly keep that on my radar.

Thankfully I'm fluent in sarcasm. I've just learned to second guess using it here after I accidentally made Bryan think he offended me.

Rivverrat

Ok I may have missed it. What is your preferred length & line class ?  ...Jeff   EDIT: jUST SAW YOUR LOOKING FOR 6-12 LINE CLASS

JasonGotaProblem

I got to play with a 4wt fly rod blank today. Yes, it's very different. It's an intriguing feel. But I've lost my enthusiasm for making that the next project.

Same shop had an unmarked blank that I would estimate as either 4-10# or 6-12# mod fast. And because they label is gone, its actually a pretty reasonable price. In the price range of that CRB blank.

I remember reading of a similar situation that went awry. So I will certainly give it a few tests before it leaves the store. And a few more before I invest the effort to build it.

Benni3

@JasonGotaPenn ,  first off I hope you know I was joking with you.   Here, understand this is only if I understand what you desire ...  This is the best blank made for what your wanting.   

The Suzuki is my favorite,,,,,,,, ;) now I'm running 6lb test,,,,,it's rated for 10-20lb but it's a blast and I could just put my penn torque 5 on with 30lb no problem,,,,,,,,, ;D

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Benni3 on February 15, 2021, 09:15:50 PM

The Suzuki is my favorite,,,,,,,, ;) now I'm running 6lb test,,,,,it's rated for 10-20lb but it's a blast and I could just put my penn torque 5 on with 30lb no problem,,,,,,,,, ;D
Clearly there's a range of opinions. I tend to go lighter on rods than on line. Like I have a 10-20# teramar that i run 30# super slick on and I loooove it. Given the choice between too big a rod or too big a reel, I'd rather have too big a reel. But that's just me.

Benni3

I had a g Loomis 4wt fly blank made into a spinner very fun,,,,, ;) if there's a black hole dealer down there grab a Suzuki off the shelf and check it out,,,,, ;D

Rivverrat

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on February 15, 2021, 09:48:53 PM
Quote from: Benni3 on February 15, 2021, 09:15:50 PM

@JasonGotaPenn ,  first off I hope you know I was joking with you.   Here, understand this is only if I understand what you desire ...  This is the best blank made for what your wanting.  

Clearly there's a range of opinions. I tend to go lighter on rods than on line. Like I have a 10-20# teramar that i run 30# super slick on and I loooove it. Given the choice between too big a rod or too big a reel, I'd rather have too big a reel. But that's just me.

Absolutely nothing wrong with this. This is exactly how a proper slow pitch combo is set up. I have two rod reel set ups for lake catfish the only requirement I have for the rod on these combos is that it cast / toss the weight of what ever I'm throwing. When I get hooked up the rod is pointed at the fish & the reel not the rod is used to fight the fish.

The two rods are rated for 25 & 30 line max. All graphite, both will shatter easily if one doesn't hold their tongue right. I have used both set ups to skull drag fish over 50 lbs. from their rock laden lair while running well over 25 lbs. of drag on the river. However they are primarily lake rods for cats.

I now completely, (I think) understand what your attempting here. It is a doable & very enjoyable endeavor... Jeff

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Rivverrat on February 16, 2021, 03:57:27 PM

Absolutely nothing wrong with this. This is exactly how a proper slow pitch combo is set up. I have two rod reel set ups for lake catfish the only requirement I have for the rod on these combos is that it cast / toss the weight of what ever I'm throwing. When I get hooked up the rod is pointed at the fish & the reel not the rod is used to fight the fish.

The two rods are rated for 25 & 30 line max. All graphite, both will shatter easily if one doesn't hold their tongue right. I have used both set ups to skull drag fish over 50 lbs. from their rock laden lair while running well over 25 lbs. of drag on the river. However they are primarily lake rods for cats.

I now completely, (I think) understand what your attempting here. It is a doable & very enjoyable endeavor... Jeff
Agreed there is nothing wrong with it. There are many different ways to catch a fish, and its only "wrong" if it never works.

For this build what I'm looking for is a rod that will be my daiwa SS700's new home. I'm running 10# braid on it and intend to use it for bass fishing but also to chase snook and redfish. Not because I think that's the appropriate size rig to chase bull reds, but because its deliberately undersized, with the intention of having a lively fight. Also considering that when you fish for snook and reds, you end up with a lot of sheepshead and mango snapper bycatch and those are super boring to catch on a rig sized for bull reds. They'd be fun on the rig I'm building.

Rivverrat

If we fished together you would most likely find me some distance away  ;D   Just to make sure you had the room needed & we didn't cut each other off  :D   That being said seriously but with humor.

It's a hard endeavor to be dogmatic about fishing. I find politics a hard thing to work into the conversation. Politics or dogmatic ideas are not allowed in my small aluminum utility boat while on the river.

My friend who is a living, legendary BADASS in certain circles went on a political rant after a few drinks. My other friend is of a different mind set & world view. My ranting good friend.. Was tossed from my boat & was left
    on the river bank until he apologized. I cut anchor, motored away from him twice as he attempted to swim & get back into the boat  ;D

I have no room for fan boys or die hard ideas when it comes to fishing. I come here to learn & try new things & just maybe some can pick up a little of what ever it is I am laying down ... Jeff

oc1

I cannot find where you ever said what size bait/lure you will be using.  That should be the starting point in rod selection  if you plan to be casting.

Fishermen are not strong enough to break a rod that is made properly and transfers the load correctly..  Fish size is of little importance.  Big fish are fought from low in the butt section.  Small fish are fought from up closer to the tip.

There is little difference in a spinning blank and fly blank.  It all comes down to the desired length and lure weight.  However, fly rods top out at about a 12 wt.  A 12 wt fly blank would be rated for 3/4 ounce lure weight in a spinning blank.  If you are going to sling anything heavier, then you need to look at salmon/steelhead or surf blanks.

If you are trolling, dropping or vertical jigging then it's a different ball game all together.

Benni3

Before reading this thread,,,, ;) I always wanted to build a fly rod out of the 10ft Suzuki blank,,,,,,, ;D