Steelhead/salmon rods

Started by JasonGotaProblem, February 04, 2021, 03:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

Quote from: philaroman on February 05, 2021, 05:24:11 AM
I think I was asking about a lighter Suzuki, while back & ksong mentioned
another Black Hole model w/ similar action & lighter specs. (9'6" or 9' ? )
The 10ft Suzuki line weigh is 10to20lb and the 9.6is 20to30lb but is way underrated,,,,, ;) the difference between my 9wt Thomas & thomas fly rod and the 10ft Suzuki is that is has a fast tip,,,, :D same back bone all the way down the rod,,,,,, ;D

oc1

I don't have many long term relationships, but this has been my sweetheart go-to rod for quite a while now.  For throwing 1/4 oz and 3/8 oz jigs.  It is not a noodle at all and has a lot of backbone.

https://www.lamiglas.com/collections/salmon-steelhead-rod-blanks/products/gp1382ml-g1000-pro-blank-116-steelhead-float-rod?variant=14974622662705

oldmanjoe

I found two sticks that you can have to rebuild  ,one is 8 ft and the other is 9 ft .
yellow stick tip is .170  - butt is .660 - 8 ft
gold stick  has a label  Bayside  marking assoc -modle no 6090fb -9 ft  graphite composite.
  Some pic .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

Super cool! I gotta start stocking up on components.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

steelfish

Quote from: oldmanjoe on February 05, 2021, 06:27:38 PM
  I found two sticks that you can have to rebuild  ,one is 8 ft and the other is 9 ft .
yellow stick tip is .170  - butt is .660 - 8 ft
gold stick  has a label  Bayside  marking assoc -modle no 6090fb -9 ft  graphite composite.
  Some pic .

nice move, the ohana on its finest
The Baja Guy

whalebreath

In a similar vein Muskie rods are often underpriced & tough as nails perfect for light tackle inshore bottomfishing.

steelfish

Quote from: whalebreath on February 07, 2021, 04:14:56 AM
In a similar vein Muskie rods are often underpriced & tough as nails perfect for light tackle inshore bottomfishing.

dont blame me but I also use a musky rod  as an inshore rod, I actually liked it that much that I rebuilt a factory one with my personal touch as you can see in the link.

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22222.0

My Go to reel for the "Gander Mountain" 7'6" Musky rod is a Calcutta 400TE which is also considered a great Musky Reel, so a combo that could fish in the river for Musky can fish inshore for big King Mackarel ( or big spanish mackarel)

2nd pic same rod but already rebuilt
The Baja Guy

Breadfan

I just ordered this Lami on Sunday, made in USA and 93.00 on sale with a coupon code. They are still just 125.00 right now until they are gone. They should work perfect for surf fishing with the moderate action! Figured what the heck?

https://www.lamiglas.com/collections/salmon-steelhead-rod-blanks/products/xcc1502xh-126-2pc-20-40lb-4-20oz-troll-2-8oz-cast?variant=5291637145641

Rancanfish

I am so uncoordinated with long rods that I look like a chimpanzee jumpin' around.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Rancanfish on February 12, 2021, 06:34:10 PM
I am so uncoordinated with long rods that I look like a chimpanzee jumpin' around.
The good news is I doubt the fish can see you.

Dominick

I have about a couple thousand dollars worth of stuff specifically for salmon.  I haven't caught a salmon in 2 years.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

oc1

Quote from: Breadfan on February 12, 2021, 04:40:06 PM
I just ordered this Lami on Sunday, made in USA and 93.00 on sale with a coupon code. They are still just 125.00 right now until they are gone. They should work perfect for surf fishing with the moderate action! Figured what the heck?

https://www.lamiglas.com/collections/salmon-steelhead-rod-blanks/products/xcc1502xh-126-2pc-20-40lb-4-20oz-troll-2-8oz-cast?variant=5291637145641
Looks like the perfect choice and at a steal to boot.
-s

SteveL

Two maybe three bait & tackles in my little corner of nowhere (south Georgia) sell salmon/steelhead rods, Shimano I think.   I would guess that people down here are using them for speckled trout.

oc1

It's a shame that a whole class of rods were named after two species. 

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: oc1 on February 26, 2021, 08:59:03 AM
It's a shame that a whole class of rods were named after two species. 
Indeed. And I hate salmon. Almost turns me off to the whole idea. Almost.