Smallest spinner???

Started by wailua boy, February 07, 2021, 03:34:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tristan

Quote from: nelz on February 08, 2021, 05:17:07 AM
I'm actually shopping for a UL spinner. Wanted to get a Shimano FX 1000 FC after watching the video from The Fishing Hobby guy, but it's out of stock everywhere.

As an alternative, I've been considering a Quantum Optix 10, anybody have experience with it?

Nelz, I'm ashamed to admit that I've used a couple Optix 40's in the past.    They weren't that bad, but I think that my manic-lubing ended up causing the ARB to fail.   

For an inexpensive reel that I'm not counting on to last for a loooong time, I'd try one.

Heresy, perhaps, but there it is.    ;)

The two best ultralight reels I have are a Ted Williams (Sears - made by Diawa), and a Penn 716z (iirc) HS Graduation present from my Uncle; as well as few "Grade B" spinners from the past as well.   Also, just purchased a Chinese Manufactured 500 size spinner to test out on a Pen rod my Kid gave me last Father's day...   We'll see how that one does.   

foakes

Hard to beat a DAM Quick 1000 or 1001, IMO —

All metal, skirted aluminum spool, bronze and SS gears, worm drive, steel bearing, pinion and spool shaft support front and rear, rolling line guide, SS bail, internal bail release.

High speed 1:5, 20.7" of retrieve per crank rotation, 175 yards of 4 lb. mono, fold down bail, fold down handle.

Plus, the big one for a reel with this much strength and capability — 8 ounces!!

The 1000 has a silver spool and crank — the 1001 is all black.

And they are an attractive and comfortable balance on a corresponding rod.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

tristan

Quote from: mo65 on February 07, 2021, 04:42:32 PM
   I think my smallest(in use) is this Mitchell 310UL. It is a hoot for bass fishing soft plastics...which is probably at the top of it's intended range...but it has never choked. It has a larger aftermarket handle knob and the prerequisite carbon fiber drag disc. I have it spooled with 20lb. braid with a 10lb. mono leader.  8)

I really like the way that reel looks with the upgraded knob...

I may fix up one of my B grade spinners with a similar knob and see how it feelz...

tristan

Quote from: foakes on May 13, 2021, 12:38:09 AM
Hard to beat a DAM Quick 1000 or 1001, IMO —

All metal, skirted aluminum spool, bronze and SS gears, worm drive, steel bearing, pinion and spool shaft support front and rear, rolling line guide, SS bail, internal bail release.

High speed 1:5, 20.7" of retrieve per crank rotation, 175 yards of 4 lb. mono, fold down bail, fold down handle.

Plus, the big one for a reel with this much strength and capability — 8 ounces!!

The 1000 has a silver spool and crank — the 1001 is all black.

And they are an attractive and comfortable balance on a corresponding rod.

Best, Fred

I've been keeping an eye out for a DAM that will fit the bill - and those, or maybe better yet the 1201 you discussed earlier, might be just the ticket.    The smallest DAM Quick I have at the moment is a 331...

nelz

Quote from: tristan on May 12, 2021, 11:21:45 PMNelz, I'm ashamed to admit that I've used a couple Optix 40's in the past.  They weren't that bad, but I think that my manic-lubing ended up causing the ARB to fail.

Hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do, lol.  ;D

Actually, my better reels tend to collect dust more than fish. Also, with a tiny reel like the Optix 10 size, you're not going to go after any bruisers anyway, so the stresses are far less. My main concern is the bail springs (I want one with an "everlast" design) and a reel that doesn't cause too much line twist. As beautiful and rugged as they are, old school reels fail on both counts.

Several modern UL's still come with an old school style bail spring though, but I think the FX-FC and the Optix have the "everlast" style. As for line twist, that may be unavoidable in an UL, but I suppose they vary in severity. Anyway, think I'm going to hold out for a FX because of its superior anti-reverse roller bearing as per The Fishing Hobby guy.

foakes

Quote from: tristan on May 13, 2021, 02:26:41 AM
I've been keeping an eye out for a DAM that will fit the bill - and those, or maybe better yet the 1201 you discussed earlier, might be just the ticket.   

Don't believe they ever produced a 1201 — 1202 is the one, Tristan —

I have plenty of most DQ's — if anyone needs to acquire a tough one.

1000's, Microlites, 110, 110N, 1001, 1202 & all the rest.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

philaroman

Fred,
1400 looks HUGE compared to 1000 (didn't know it was that drastic)...  how much bigger is 2000?
could you please do a side-by-side photo of the skirted sizes up to 2000
just smaller size options (4?) regardless of 00/01/02 "skirted generation"

foakes

The 2000/2001 has a slightly larger body and gears than the 1400.

However, the spools are the same size — and will interchange.

This is why the 1202 is also a good bet — about halfway between the 1000/1400 reels.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Wompus Cat

Smallest spinner??

I would like to Submit a Shakespeare Excursion EX020
Weighs in at just under 6oz. Ball Bearing L/R  Handle positions ,Balanced Rotor,  On/Off posi-lock A/R
Holds 175 yds. 2lb. /110 yds. of 4lb. and a Whopping 85yds. 6lb. Test Mono

Dam 110 on Right
Shakespeare  EX020 in Center
Eagle Claw XG 610 on Left

Shakespeare EX020 Next to an ABU Garcia  Cardinal 554

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

jgp12000

My smallest spinner is my goto now for crappie fishing, a Mister Crappie Slab Shaker MCS75(6.4oz.). I use 2lb line mounted on a Fenwick Eagle 6'6" Med-light fast action rod.These reels are made by Lew's and for $15 hard to beat,very smooth.It's a good one to keep in the tackle box,boat, or truck for back up.Also,my goto lure now is Lake Fork's Sickle Tail in Black Pearl with a 1/16th oz jig head.I have caught bass,crappie,bream,& even a speckled catfish with them.Seem to work in every pond I've used them,trolling or casting.Pond fishing is like fishing in a barrel, and you don't have to deal with jack wagons...

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/mr-crappie%C2%AE-slab-shaker%C2%AE-spinning-reel-convertible?ogmap=SEM

http://www.lftlures.com/catalog/lft-sickle-tail-baby-shad

nelz

Quote from: foakes on May 13, 2021, 12:38:09 AMHard to beat a DAM Quick 1000 or 1001, IMO —

Fred, what's your assessment of the 1000 "FD" series?

foakes

Very good reel. 

They have incorporated some of the bulletproof earlier features from the 60's through mid 80's — along with some newer tech.

Okuma is a part of this reel — although 90% of the engineering is traditional DQ.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

williewiskers

I think my smallest(in use) is this Mitchell 310UL. It is a hoot for bass fishing soft plastics...which is probably at the top of it's intended range...but it has never choked. It has a larger aftermarket handle knob and the prerequisite carbon fiber drag disc. I have it spooled with 20lb. braid with a 10lb. mono leader.  8)

I just picked up one of these, where did you get a CF drag kit for this?

WW

mo65

Quote from: williewiskers on August 26, 2021, 09:24:35 PM

I just picked up one of these, where did you get a CF drag kit for this?

WW

There is no kit. It's a single washer system, so any CF disc that fits will work. Hand trim if necessary, and a loose fit is just fine. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

DON3099

My smallest Pinnacle UL. But I fish my Mitchell 204, 308's and 408.