Rinsing my new Avet or dunking it? I'm a little confused.

Started by Breadfan, February 09, 2021, 06:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breadfan

So, the Avet website says to actually dunk my SX MC reel in a bucket of water, rather than just rinsing it. This will for sure get the spool bearings (and the rest of them) wet. I've done like they said every time I get back from fishing but I don't like it. Any thoughts on this? Does any other reel makers suggest rinsing, or should I say soaking your reels this way?

Hardy Boy

I would not dunk any of my reels but maybe I should tell my clients too ..................... actually they do enough damage with the hose. Just do a light rinse of the spool and maybe a list mist of the frame, wipe dry and if you want wipe with some WD. If you do make sure drag is on. IMO that works for me.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

akfish

I actually do dunk my reels at the end of a long -- 15 day -- trip. This helps remove any internal salt, and I know that I will do a complete service when I get home. It works for me.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

not sure that's the best choice.  first, the reel needs to be properly serviced with a light coat of protective grease all throughout.  if you don't do that, water (or salt and water) will stick to those unprotected surfaces.  this is an avet mxj raptor master cast....... 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Maxed Out

Wow Alan, that reel is a train wreck.

My albacore charter boat has a spray bottle of diluted "salt away" and they spray the reels at the end of every day. I gotta say, those reels all still look as new
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Donnyboat

Interesting, may look as good as new on the outside, but as Alan has demonstrated, not good on the inside, really there is know easy way, but to service regually, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Breadfan

OK, no more dunking for my reels. I thought it wasn't such a good idea the second time I did it. I then realized that my bearings were getting wet and that wasn't going to help casting distance any. I'm not going to worry about salt build up, I'll fish this reel 30 times this year, max and then tear it down like the the rest of them and then clean, grease and oil. I know since I've learned how to maintain all of my reels, my problems have been close to zero.

Breadfan

Quote from: alantani on February 10, 2021, 12:48:08 AM
not sure that's the best choice.  first, the reel needs to be properly serviced with a light coat of protective grease all throughout.  if you don't do that, water (or salt and water) will stick to those unprotected surfaces.  this is an avet mxj raptor master cast....... 

Yikes!

oc1

If you drill the side plates full of holes the water can easily drain, the air circulation will let it dry, and you can oil the moving parts from the outside before the next trip.  No, I'm not kidding.

I hear the Avet casts well.  But, as a broad generalization, star drag reels tend to cast better than lever drag reels.

-steve

day0ne

I spent years placing my rods and reels in the swimming pool and they stayed pristine, inside and out. Now that I don't have access to a swimming pool, I use a hose. I prefer the pool as it did a better job and I went longer between service intervals (think years). Dunking works.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

jurelometer

Salt is the enemy.

Freshwater is the best solvent for salt.  Freshwater does not damage 440c stainless that is used for reel bearings.  But saltwater does. Same goes for anodized aluminum.

The combination of salt (or more accurately any chloride) and moisture is was causes the corrosion, especially where dissimilar  metals contact.

I am a firm believer in giving any saltwater reel that can drain and dry out well a good soak in freshwater and then let dry it out,  in a couple position if necessary.  I think that storing a reel in a case or or neoprene cover is not a great idea  whether you soak or rinse.  The lower the humidity, the better your odds for preventing corrosion.

If you do soak, a pool or jacuzzi is not the best choice.  Highly chlorinated water is corrosive, just like salt water.  It is the chlorides, after all. Warm tap water will dissolve  and dilute the salt a bit faster than cold water.

There are numerous threads that go around and around on this topic, and nobody seems to be changing their mind.  The non-soaking side has more adherents, but they are still wrong :)

Both sides agree that a proper pre-service, and regular maintenance is the key, whichever side you end up on.

-J.

Hardy Boy

I think Dave summed it up best. You can do what ever method you want (dunk, rinse or maybe nothing) if you pre service (a new reel) and perform regular maintenance after use. I have guides that have brought me reels in horrible shape but with yearly service I'm only having to replace or repair parts that wear (pawls etc) or parts that broke from an accident (dropped etc).

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Breadfan

Quote from: oc1 on February 10, 2021, 07:22:00 PM
If you drill the side plates full of holes the water can easily drain, the air circulation will let it dry, and you can oil the moving parts from the outside before the next trip.  No, I'm not kidding.

I hear the Avet casts well.  But, as a broad generalization, star drag reels tend to cast better than lever drag reels.

-steve

I read somewhere that Avets are made to drain water but I can't find it now.

Breadfan

Quote from: jurelometer on February 10, 2021, 09:20:13 PM
Salt is the enemy.

Freshwater is the best solvent for salt.  Freshwater does not damage 440c stainless that is used for reel bearings.  But saltwater does. Same goes for anodized aluminum.

The combination of salt (or more accurately any chloride) and moisture is was causes the corrosion, especially where dissimilar  metals contact.

I am a firm believer in giving any saltwater reel that can drain and dry out well a good soak in freshwater and then let dry it out,  in a couple position if necessary.  I think that storing a reel in a case or or neoprene cover is not a great idea  whether you soak or rinse.  The lower the humidity, the better your odds for preventing corrosion.

If you do soak, a pool or jacuzzi is not the best choice.  Highly chlorinated water is corrosive, just like salt water.  It is the chlorides, after all. Warm tap water will dissolve  and dilute the salt a bit faster than cold water.

There are numerous threads that go around and around on this topic, and nobody seems to be changing their mind.  The non-soaking side has more adherents, but they are still wrong :)

Both sides agree that a proper pre-service, and regular maintenance is the key, whichever side you end up on.

-J.

But, back to one of my questions. What about the bearings? Water cannot be good for them, and how could it all possibly drain out of the bearing races?

mo65

I don't think this subject is nearly as difficult as it seems. Here is Mo's "ease your mind" theory:

Salt causes corrosion...and water causes rust. 
                            Water dissolves salt...and wind dries water.
                            Rinse reels in freshwater...dry in front of a fan.

I've found this simple process to work great for me. Even after opening the reel later for a better servicing I find the insides dry and clean. Don't think moving air won't reach inside the gearcase. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~